MTBR - remember the golfers rhread

Poe4soul

MTBR - remember the golfers rhread

Post  Poe4soul on Tue May 13, 2014 12:21 am

Kiwigolfer

Re: MTBR - remember the golfers rhread

Post  Kiwigolfer on Tue May 13, 2014 12:35 am

Nice one Poe. Wink

Shame about GR and this site just isn't attracting noobs.

Maybe we should try setting up camp in a corner of one of the other golf sites like WRX? We could make a GR/Caddyshack reunion thread? Oldplayer is a member over there. At least we'd have other golfers to shoot the breeze with. We'd just have to tone down some of our old GR behavior and language so as not to be promptly banned.

Sadly it appears GR will never regain it's former glory.  Crying or Very sad
    rooteen

Post  rooteen on Tue May 13, 2014 5:53 am

Hi Kiwi, how you going?
    I would join the mtbr forum however i would cop too much shite as i just bought a road bike! Took a wrong turn on my third time on it last Sunday and ended up riding a very hilly 52K's. Told the mrs i was going for a quick ride to get used to the clip in pedals etc. Talk about stuffed, when i got home i nearly fell through the front door.
    With a bit of luck one day i might join my brother on the lake Taupo ride.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Tue May 13, 2014 6:44 am

rooteen wrote:Hi Kiwi, how you going?
    I would join the mtbr forum however i would cop too much shite as i just bought a road bike! Took a wrong turn on my third time on it last Sunday and ended up riding a very hilly 52K's. Told the mrs i was going for a quick ride to get used to the clip in pedals etc. Talk about stuffed, when i got home i nearly fell through the front door.

Nice one Rooteen! Still keeping the fitness up obviously! I went out for a mountain bike ride Sunday morning and met an enthusiastic 18 year old on the trails who dragged me all over the hills! Man I was out twice as long as planned and came home completely stuffed! LOL!

Does your brother come to Taupo especially for the cycle ride? Be cool if you could make it one day. Only problem is that event almost always coincides with my golf trip to Queenstown each year. And you know which one of those events gets priority don't you! Wink

Good to hear from you and glad to hear you're keeping up the fitness regime.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:Nice one Poe. Wink

Maybe we should try setting up camp in a corner of one of the other golf sites like WRX? We could make a GR/Caddyshack reunion thread? Oldplayer is a member over there. At least we'd have other golfers to shoot the breeze with. We'd just have to tone down some of our old GR behavior and language so as not to be promptly banned.

Kiwi, I will sign up for WRX if you do.  On another note, if you go to 4GEA.com you'll find a pretty good forum.  There's this guy named Club Champ who recently joined and is causing a stir over there.  He seems very creative and rather self assured.   A little cocky if you ask me.
    Check it out: http://www.4gea.com/forum/index.php

Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Tue May 13, 2014 12:54 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

Kiwi, I will sign up for WRX if you do.  On another note, if you go to 4GEA.com you'll find a pretty good forum.  There's this guy named Club Champ who recently joined and is causing a stir over there.  He seems very creative and rather self assured.   A little cocky if you ask me.
    Check it out:  http://www.4gea.com/forum/index.php

I'm fairly certain you'd be banned from WRX if you kept your same style.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Tue May 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

I've been to the site. I can't do it. They take themselves way too seriously.

It reminds me around a friend and I played last year. We were paired with this pro and one of his old students. She was pretty hot and he was obviously trying to put the moves one n her. My friend has a body type of The Walrus and is about a 2 cap and he comes off as a slob and a hack. The pro boasts "I'm playing the Black Tees, if that's alright with you." "Sure, no problem , we'll join you." My friend is 3 under after 5 holes, had 4 beers down and beating this guy by 5 strokes. I'm one behind the pro. He decided it would be best if they dropped back a couple of holes and let us play on. He was a complete blowhard. He had a staff bag, exotic shafts, etc. I'm sure he's a WRX member.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Tue May 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

I've been to the site. I can't do it.  They take themselves way too seriously.  

It reminds me around a friend and I played last year.  We were paired with this pro and one of his old students.  She was pretty hot and he was obviously trying to put the moves one n her.  My friend has a body type of The Walrus and is about a 2 cap and he comes off as a slob and a hack.  The pro boasts "I'm playing the Black Tees, if that's alright with you."  "Sure, no problem , we'll join you."  My friend is 3 under after 5 holes, had 4 beers down and beating this guy by 5 strokes.  I'm one behind the pro.  He decided it would be best if they dropped back a couple of holes and let us play on. He was a complete blowhard. He had a staff bag, exotic shafts, etc.  I'm sure he's a WRX member.  

I agree. These are the guys who are 8 handicaps who have $200 shafts in their fitted Nakamishi irons. They hit their drives 290 to 300 and play blades. Their putter is a custom Scotty Cameron with their initials on it and a custom headcover. Their favorite player is Justin Rose because one time they were at a tournament and saw Justin sign a ball for a kid.
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Tue May 13, 2014 4:00 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

I've been to the site. I can't do it.  They take themselves way too seriously.  

It reminds me around a friend and I played last year.  We were paired with this pro and one of his old students.  She was pretty hot and he was obviously trying to put the moves one n her.  My friend has a body type of The Walrus and is about a 2 cap and he comes off as a slob and a hack.  The pro boasts "I'm playing the Black Tees, if that's alright with you."  "Sure, no problem , we'll join you."  My friend is 3 under after 5 holes, had 4 beers down and beating this guy by 5 strokes.  I'm one behind the pro.  He decided it would be best if they dropped back a couple of holes and let us play on. He was a complete blowhard. He had a staff bag, exotic shafts, etc.  I'm sure he's a WRX member.  

I agree.  These are the guys who are 8 handicaps who have $200 shafts in their fitted Nakamishi irons.  They hit their drives 290 to 300 and play blades.  Their putter is a custom Scotty Cameron with their initials on it and a custom headcover.  Their favorite player is Justin Rose because one time they were at a tournament and saw Justin sign a ball for a kid.  
    When kiwi linked OP's post to WRX, I checked out a thread that was locked, thinking it might be some major flame war. Some newish member posted a thread, and a few senior members blasted him for not using the search function and posting in an existing similar thread. Then a moderator told everyone to act nicely and posted a link to forum rules. Then locked the thread.

That is my impression of WRX.
    rooteen

Post  rooteen on Wed May 14, 2014 4:12 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    rooteen wrote:Hi Kiwi, how you going?

Nice one Rooteen! Still keeping the fitness up obviously!  I went out for a mountain bike ride Sunday morning and met an enthusiastic 18 year old on the trails who dragged me all over the hills! Man I was out twice as long as planned and came home completely stuffed! LOL!

Does your brother come to Taupo especially for the cycle ride? Be cool if you could make it one day. Only problem is that event almost always coincides with my golf trip to Queenstown each year. And you know which one of those events gets priority don't you! Wink

Good to hear from you and glad to hear you're keeping up the fitness regime.

Understand the priorities mate. Think my brother has been to Taupo 3 times for the bike ride, last time i visited him in Sydney he showed me some video footage of the ride and i thought then that is something i would like to do some day.
    Fitness regime is still going strong. Had to take up bike riding and ease up on running due to tendonitis in both achilles. Currently each week i am doing one circuit class, weight training 3 nights, running on the treadmill twice a week and now bike riding on the weekend. Managed to put on about 1.5kg of the 17kgs i lost previously, but at least its not fat. Don't practice golf anymore and only play a couple of times a month. Funny thing is i have either won or placed in the top three of b grade in 3 of my last 4 comps. Think its because i have no care factor with golf now, i just enjoy it.
    And before you ask, yes i am still married(just!!) all my sessions are short and sharp except for the ride!

Having seen some of the hills in NZ (makes Tas look flat) i can only imagine what mountain bike riding would be like, so hats off for having a dig cheers 
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Wed May 14, 2014 4:42 am

rooteen wrote:

Understand the priorities mate. Think my brother has been to Taupo 3 times for the bike ride, last time i visited him in Sydney he showed me some video footage of the ride and i thought then that is something i would like to do some day.
    Fitness regime is still going strong. Had to take up bike riding and ease up on running due to tendonitis in both achilles. Currently each week i am doing one circuit class, weight training 3 nights, running on the treadmill twice a week and now bike riding on the weekend. Managed to put on about 1.5kg of the 17kgs  i lost previously, but at least its not fat.  Don't practice golf anymore and only play a couple of times a month. Funny thing is i have either won or placed in the top three of b grade in 3 of my last 4 comps. Think its because i have no care factor with golf now, i just enjoy it.
    And before you ask, yes i am still married(just!!) all my sessions are short and sharp except for the ride!

Having seen some of the hills in NZ (makes Tas look flat) i can only imagine what mountain bike riding would be like, so hats off for having a dig cheers 

Just reading your post is making me exhausted!  affraid 
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed May 14, 2014 7:29 am

WRX is a source of valuable feedback on clubs, shafts and clubmaking. That said, I wouldn't join it on a bet.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Wed May 14, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm a member over at WRX. I have only posted about 20 times looking for info when I bought a new GPS. There may be some snooty types over there but don't all forums have those guys? Oldplayer is a member there and I have stumbled across a couple of his posts, actually he spotted me when I posted on a thread about some MP32's. He saw my moniker 'Kiwihacker' and put 2 & 2 together and pm'd to confirm it was me. Smile

Not sure why you guys are so dead set against the place. I'm sure you'd get some good responses in your quest to find a new driver Horseballs.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Sun May 18, 2014 6:06 pm

rooteen wrote:

You can try MTBR's sister site, roadbike review http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forum.php?s=4e9f6db1786a42a5b26fdf8d8b2f78a2

It's Francois' forum for the roadies. i'm on both sites, but rarely post anymore in either site.

As far as WRX is concerned, I've learned more from the guys here (thanks Mongrel!) than there. They do seem to be a bit full of themselves. Most appear to be at least 5 cappers with a minimum of $10k invested in their present bags.
    But....it still is a viable site with constant new stuff and new members.

Meanwhile...I'm kicking ass in my work league this season so far. I'm in first place and not taking anything seriously. Last year I took the majority of the money and they're all over me this season. Haha!! Just played the boss last week and crushed him by 11 strokes. Wonder what my review will be like this year disappointed disappointed 
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:33 am

Not a Hacker is also a member over at WRX. His username is 'playa' the same login he used here. I recognised his username and a couple of comments he made were a dead giveaway so I pm'ed him and he would neither confirm nor deny that he was the poster once known as NAH.  Very Happy 

He did however acknowledge that a poster named Not a Hacker had been permanently banned from WRX LOL

Playa obviously tones his style down a bit compared to NAH as he seems to reasonably active and hasn't been banned.
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:50 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:Not a Hacker is also a member over at WRX. His username is 'playa' the same login he used here. I recognised his username and a couple of comments he made were a dead giveaway so I pm'ed him and he would neither confirm nor deny that he was the poster once known as NAH.  Very Happy 

He did however acknowledge that a poster named Not a Hacker had been permanently banned from WRX LOL

Playa obviously tones his style down a bit compared to NAH as he seems to reasonably active and hasn't been banned.  
    About a month ago, I tried to join as Horseballs and was denied. I got the form email saying to expect confirmation and posting rights within 24 hours. I could even log in, but a day came and went. I never got confirmation and my logon didn't work anymore.

I'm pretty tame these days and could probably survive over there with minor tweaks. I was looking back at GR from around 2010 and the stuff over there was hilarious. Can never be replicated.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:07 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:Not a Hacker is also a member over at WRX. His username is 'playa' the same login he used here. I recognised his username and a couple of comments he made were a dead giveaway so I pm'ed him and he would neither confirm nor deny that he was the poster once known as NAH.  Very Happy 

About a month ago, I tried to join as Horseballs and was denied.  I got the form email saying to expect confirmation and posting rights within 24 hours.  I could even log in, but a day came and went.  I never got confirmation and my logon didn't work anymore.  

I'm pretty tame these days and could probably survive over there with minor tweaks.  I was looking back at GR from around 2010 and the stuff over there was hilarious.  Can never be replicated.  

I struggle to recall the years when GR was in it's absolute heyday vs when it first began to decline i.e. stopped accepting new members, overrun with spam etc. When was the Mr 3Wiggles era? That was a pretty funny time. The characters that made that place were hilarious. Edgey vs Omen was classic, Larry vs Alan was funny to start with but got a bit old fairly quickly. Famousdavis became a forum stalwart but was relatively late to the party. Daveperks, SoonerBS etc. I joined in 2005 but didn't become a prominent poster until that 2008-2010 period. Hilarious but as you say, can't be replicated.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:11 am

Horseballs wrote:

About a month ago, I tried to join as Horseballs and was denied.  I got the form email saying to expect confirmation and posting rights within 24 hours.  I could even log in, but a day came and went.  I never got confirmation and my logon didn't work anymore.  

I'm pretty tame these days and could probably survive over there with minor tweaks.  I was looking back at GR from around 2010 and the stuff over there was hilarious.  Can never be replicated.  

Have you joined as Horseballs previously and been banned? I seem to recall you and Omen raiding other forums and getting banned almost immediately.  Laughing 
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:48 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

Have you joined as Horseballs previously and been banned? I seem to recall you and Omen raiding other forums and getting banned almost immediately.   Laughing 
    I don't think so. I have a feeling there are many former GR or Shottalk members on there, so there is a small chance that my reputation proceeded me, but I have a feeling the admins took a look at my screen name and decided it wasn't worth the risk.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:55 am

Horseballs wrote:

2010 and thereabouts was when I was going through my divorce and GR was a good diversion. I wanted to be someone different than I was as an escape. It was perfect for that.

There were people there who actually believed I was an Italian immigrant because I used vowels at the end of some of my posted words. I'm not bragging, guys like Dorkman were too easily trolled for there to be credit given or taken.

I actually first came to GR as an underequipped parent of a child golfer looking for insight. Interestingly a friend and fellow teen competitor of his made this month's cover of golf digest.

This site is vastly different. Now we are a bunch of friends from different walks of life with some history catching up on things.

Along those lines whoever is interested in some free lodging this winter or summer for that matter Park city is but a plane ride away. I promise I won't ski you off of a cliff.
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 am

Yeah... so, I like... bumped that thread on mtbr. Haha.  clown 

Lorenzzo wrote:2010 and thereabouts was when I was going through my divorce and GR was a good diversion. I wanted to be someone different than I was as an escape. It was perfect for that.

There were people there who actually believed I was an Italian immigrant because I used vowels at the end of some of my posted words. I'm not bragging, guys like Dorkman were too easily trolled for there to be credit given or taken.

I actually first came to GR as an underequipped parent of a child golfer looking for insight. Interestingly a friend and fellow teen competitor of his made this month's cover of golf digest.

This site is vastly different. Now we are a bunch of friends from different walks of life with some history catching up on things.

Along those lines whoever is interested in some free lodging this winter or summer for that matter Park city is but a plane ride away. I promise I won't ski you off of a cliff.

Believe it or not, I found GR in 2002, and posted club reviews back then. I had no idea the forums even existed, perhaps they didn't back then. I found the forums in 2007 and joined during the "mod wars" when anarchy began to prevail. Benguk, tommysels, etc... I know some of you guys remember when the kids were in charge and the mutiny happened. I lurked through most of that and joined the group shortly after.

It's funny, we used to run around pissing on every bush marking our territory over on GR, but over here it's like you say Zo, we're a bunch of friends from different walks of life who share a common history. In a lot of ways, it's pretty cool that the whole works of us who survived the GR exodus have bonded and become friends the way we have.

I wish we had our old site back, the way it used to be, as I'm sure many of you do. However, there's only one thing that really matters in all this, and it's that we're still all here together, as a community, making posts for each others entertainment. No matter how many forums I post on or how many online communities I belong to, you guys are the family I inevitably come home to, wherever on the web that happens to be. /shottalk

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:20 pm