The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum


    Golly Matty!!

    Share
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    Golly Matty!!

    Post  FamousDavis on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:43 am

    Seriously? This is what Matt Kuchar yelled out after plunging his ball into the water on the 18th hole with a one-shot lead. What the hell was he thinking? You either yell out a curse word with authority or you suck it up and say nothing.

    I can't believe he hit that shot. All he had to do was hit an iron to the front of the green.

    What an exciting finish, though. Matt Jones could have plopped down 500 balls and not made one of those.

    It ain't over till it's over.
    avatar
    Poe4soul

    Posts : 417
    Join date : 2012-12-08
    Location : Portland, OR

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  Poe4soul on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:32 pm

    FamousDavis wrote:Seriously?  This is what Matt Kuchar yelled out after plunging his ball into the water on the 18th hole with a one-shot lead.  What the hell was he thinking?  You either yell out a curse word with authority or you suck it up and say nothing.  

    I can't believe he hit that shot.  All he had to do was hit an iron to the front of the green.  

    What an exciting finish, though.  Matt Jones could have plopped down 500 balls and not made one of those.  

    It ain't over till it's over.  

    I'm guessing that was something his mom said to him when he did something stupid, or dad. And it stuck.

    I agree with everything said. Maybe not 500 balls but definitely more that 20. I bet that hole doesn't fit Kuchar's eye. His go to shot is a pull cut. Not exactly the shot you want off the tee or from the fairway on 18.

    I don't get the raking of the fairway bunker with those deep furrows. That bunker is hard enough. But whatever. They all have to play it.

    I'm usually not a fan of Sergio but I thought he handled himself pretty well. He can flat out pond the ball for his size.
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1768
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  Mongrel on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:58 pm

    I like watching Sergio's full swings better than most all the others. If he gets the putter working consistently, watch out. He needs to win a major soon. I could see that happening at Pinehurst or maybe wherever the Mother Country Open is this July.

    Congrats to the kid who won.
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  FamousDavis on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:45 pm

    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Seriously?  This is what Matt Kuchar yelled out after plunging his ball into the water on the 18th hole with a one-shot lead.  What the hell was he thinking?  You either yell out a curse word with authority or you suck it up and say nothing.  

    I can't believe he hit that shot.  All he had to do was hit an iron to the front of the green.  

    What an exciting finish, though.  Matt Jones could have plopped down 500 balls and not made one of those.  

    It ain't over till it's over.  

    I'm guessing that was something his mom said to him when he did something stupid, or dad.  And it stuck.  

    I agree with everything said. Maybe not 500 balls but definitely more that 20.   I bet that hole doesn't fit Kuchar's eye.  His go to shot is a pull cut.  Not exactly the shot you want off the tee or from the fairway on 18.

    I don't get the raking of the fairway bunker with those deep furrows. That bunker is hard enough.  But whatever.  They all have to play it.  

    I'm usually not a fan of Sergio but I thought he handled himself pretty well. He can flat out pond the ball for his size.

    I don't think the rakes used were any different, it's just that they raked them directly perpindecular to where the balls enter the trap. That makes the ball nestle down into the rake groove.
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1768
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  Mongrel on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:31 pm

    If the rake grooves were perpendicular, then all you do is setup for the club to enter the groove behind the one the ball's in. Easy peasy.
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  FamousDavis on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:04 am

    Mongrel wrote:If the rake grooves were perpendicular, then all you do is setup for the club to enter the groove behind the one the ball's in. Easy peasy.

    Um, except for the fact that the sand between the face and the ball creates a shot that goes about 30 yards shorter and could go anywhere.
    avatar
    Horseballs

    Posts : 752
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Living the dream at the SPCC

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  Horseballs on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:50 am

    Mongrel wrote:If the rake grooves were perpendicular, then all you do is setup for the club to enter the groove behind the one the ball's in. Easy peasy.
    Not sure I like that. Don't caddies rake the bunkers after their players hit out of them? I'm sure the caddy isn't following some rake pattern, which means different course conditions for the 1st groups out vs. the last.
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1768
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  Mongrel on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:57 pm

    I've got to assume that tour caddies employ some gamesmanship in raking the sand where their players make their messes. For a greenside bunker shot, I would much rather have a lie with rake grooves perpendicular to my intended shot line than have my ball lying in a groove straight on the target line. Of course from either a fairway bunker or greenside bunker, I'd rather the ball be resting nicely on perfectly compliant and consistent sand. Better yet, it would be good if the fukkin' ball was not in a bunker at all.
    avatar
    Horseballs

    Posts : 752
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Living the dream at the SPCC

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  Horseballs on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:31 pm

    Mongrel wrote:I've got to assume that tour caddies employ some gamesmanship in raking the sand where their players make their messes. For a greenside bunker shot, I would much rather have a lie with rake grooves perpendicular to my intended shot line than have my ball lying in a groove straight on the target line. Of course from either a fairway bunker or greenside bunker, I'd rather the ball be resting nicely on perfectly compliant and consistent sand. Better yet, it would be good if the fukkin' ball was not in a bunker at all.
    I agree. In probably half of my greenside bunker shots, the ball is sitting just a bit down, which is exactly how it would look with perpendicular grooves. I am very familiar with it.
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  FamousDavis on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:47 pm

    Horseballs wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:If the rake grooves were perpendicular, then all you do is setup for the club to enter the groove behind the one the ball's in. Easy peasy.
    Not sure I like that.  Don't caddies rake the bunkers after their players hit out of them?  I'm sure the caddy isn't following some rake pattern, which means different course conditions for the 1st groups out vs. the last.  

    Right but if it's a long fairway bunker that stretches along the right side of the fairway, in the middle section of it all of the rake patterns are going to raked in the same direction simply because players are hitting out of the bunker and then walking back to the fairway.  They are NOT going to be hitting and then walking down or up the length of the bunker.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Golly Matty!!

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 pm