The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Have You Heard of Ghetto Tracker?

californiataxes

Have You Heard of Ghetto Tracker?

Post  californiataxes on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:07 pm

For travelers, there's a new app that tells you what kind of neighborhood your intended hotel is in, how often people get mugged, etc. Anonymous reporting. Pretty handy.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/06/tech/web/ghetto-tracker-controversy/#cnn-disqus-area
    Mongrel

Re: Have You Heard of Ghetto Tracker?

Post  Mongrel on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:52 pm

I had not heard of it but laughed my ass off reading the comments after the linked article. But my biggest laugh is at many Americans who think that the word "ghetto" is an original term describing the urban slums in which the vast majority of residents are negroes. " For hundreds of years, a ghetto was a neighborhood where dispersed Jews lived. Most of them were located in Europe but there were ghettos as far away as mainland China.

Although persecuted for centuries, many of the Jews who grew up in ghettos in American cities got the last laugh when they sold their real estate to blacks at heavily inflated prices. This occurred in the post-war era and continued well into the 1980's. The way it worked was that when a Jew listed his house for sale, he put a high list price on it that was usually well above market. If an investor was willing to pay cash for it and avoid the hassle of going through a commercial bank for a loan, the owner would sell it at a deep discount from the asking price. Most of the investors were fellow Jews who would purchase the properties to lease to blacks who were the only ones willing to live in the neighborhoods by the time most of the Jews moved out to the suburbs.

But when a black wanted to buy in the 'hood instead of rent, he would typically have to finance almost all or all of the purchase price via an FHA mortgage. Now the FHA required the seller to pay substantially higher closing costs than in a typical conventional 20% down loan situation and also would require certain repairs to be made to the property by the seller. Hence the higher list price. In fact, this practice became known as the "Black Tax".

Oh, and if you really need a website to tell you where the ghettos are, you'd best stick to the sticks or the 'burbs where you won't be eaten alive.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:36 pm

californiataxes wrote:For travelers, there's a new app that tells you what kind of neighborhood your intended hotel is in, how often people get mugged, etc.  Anonymous reporting.  Pretty handy.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/06/tech/web/ghetto-tracker-controversy/#cnn-disqus-area
    I took a look at my home town, Portland, Oregon. It's not very accurate. Many people seem to be giving "unsafe" rating as a joke. It appears to have too few voters/participation to minimize the effect of these incorrect votes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:26 pm