The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum


    GR WTF??????

    Share
    avatar
    pingman360

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2012-12-13
    Age : 27
    Location : NC

    GR WTF??????

    Post  pingman360 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:40 pm

    What happened over there?? I was looking back trying to figure it out exactly but can someone give me some more exact details??
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1766
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Mongrel on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 pm

    It was a gerbil infestation that locked out the heteros. FD was astute enough to have sussed out the situation and patriotic enough to provide us all with these new comfortable accomodations.
    avatar
    pingman360

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2012-12-13
    Age : 27
    Location : NC

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  pingman360 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:23 pm

    Mostly German wrote:It was a gerbil infestation that locked out the heteros. FD was astute enough to have sussed out the situation and patriotic enough to provide us all with these new comfortable accomodations.

    ok what REALLY is going on...
    avatar
    Lorenzzo

    Posts : 691
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Park City, UT

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Lorenzzo on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:45 pm

    pingman360 wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:It was a gerbil infestation that locked out the heteros. FD was astute enough to have sussed out the situation and patriotic enough to provide us all with these new comfortable accomodations.

    ok what REALLY is going on...

    During an extended period of absence by the Mods, the site was infiltrated without resulting issues being addressed. So in a nutshell, the Mods abandoned the site leading to its disintegration.

    I hope this teaches you something about responsibility.
    avatar
    pingman360

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2012-12-13
    Age : 27
    Location : NC

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  pingman360 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:51 pm

    Lorenzzo wrote:
    pingman360 wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:It was a gerbil infestation that locked out the heteros. FD was astute enough to have sussed out the situation and patriotic enough to provide us all with these new comfortable accomodations.

    ok what REALLY is going on...

    During an extended period of absence by the Mods, the site was infiltrated without resulting issues being addressed. So in a nutshell, the Mods abandoned the site leading to its disintegration.

    I hope this teaches you something about responsibility.

    it does teach me that if you want the job done properly....... pay someone to do it... lol

    however, i highly doubt thats the reason the site is being shut down when you can just add new moderators........... nice attempt at trolling though... lol
    avatar
    Homeslice

    Posts : 45
    Join date : 2012-12-05

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Homeslice on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:04 pm

    Ok, here's the short version.
    GR closed to new membership, site dwindled down to just the 10 of us. (You knew this much.)
    Some of the crew invaded Francios' beloved Mountain Bike Forum.
    After that, FD couldn't log on. Then, I got banned on my phone after an upgrade, but I could still log on from home, so we deduced that once you've logged off and cleared cookies, you cannot log back on.
    Golfaholic started a site also. It has potential for a review section with new membership. as for now, we are hunkered down in FD's golf bunker until we decide where the permanent home is.
    avatar
    pingman360

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2012-12-13
    Age : 27
    Location : NC

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  pingman360 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:14 pm

    Homeslice wrote:Ok, here's the short version.
    GR closed to new membership, site dwindled down to just the 10 of us. (You knew this much.)
    Some of the crew invaded Francios' beloved Mountain Bike Forum.
    After that, FD couldn't log on. Then, I got banned on my phone after an upgrade, but I could still log on from home, so we deduced that once you've logged off and cleared cookies, you cannot log back on.
    Golfaholic started a site also. It has potential for a review section with new membership. as for now, we are hunkered down in FD's golf bunker until we decide where the permanent home is.

    i like it here, i think its a pretty chill place to talk shit... i think the real question is do you want to grow the site, or is it something that is better left as a small community??
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  FamousDavis on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 pm

    pingman360 wrote:What happened over there?? I was looking back trying to figure it out exactly but can someone give me some more exact details??

    We collectively agreed that this site would be more suited to hosting videos of you and Qtong doing the stack and tilt.
    avatar
    FreakOfNature

    Posts : 94
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Nova Scotia

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  FreakOfNature on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:10 pm

    FamousDavis wrote:
    pingman360 wrote:What happened over there?? I was looking back trying to figure it out exactly but can someone give me some more exact details??

    We collectively agreed that this site would be more suited to hosting videos of you and Qtong doing the stack and tilt.

    We also need some Tai Chi videos, ASAP.
    avatar
    jetdriver

    Posts : 18
    Join date : 2012-12-12
    Location : here

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  jetdriver on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:24 pm

    FamousDavis wrote:
    pingman360 wrote:What happened over there?? I was looking back trying to figure it out exactly but can someone give me some more exact details??

    We collectively agreed that this site would be more suited to hosting videos of you and Qtong doing the stack and tilt.

    Man! that is a visual I can do without...I thought porno was out here!

    Golfaholic

    Posts : 102
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Labrador, Canada

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Golfaholic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:30 pm

    The is a specific setting in vBulliten with regards to how the site saves cookies. If it gets fucked with users aren't' able to log in. I expect this is what happened, be it intentional or not.
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1766
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Mongrel on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:35 pm

    Golfaholic wrote:The is a specific setting in vBulliten with regards to how the site saves cookies. If it gets fucked with users aren't' able to log in. I expect this is what happened, be it intentional or not.

    And which GR individuals have the keys to that kingdom?

    Golfaholic

    Posts : 102
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Labrador, Canada

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Golfaholic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:13 pm

    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:The is a specific setting in vBulliten with regards to how the site saves cookies. If it gets fucked with users aren't' able to log in. I expect this is what happened, be it intentional or not.

    And which GR individuals have the keys to that kingdom?

    Francois. They guy how has ignored me for the last year about his Golf Forum..
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1766
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Mongrel on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 pm

    Golfaholic wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:The is a specific setting in vBulliten with regards to how the site saves cookies. If it gets fucked with users aren't' able to log in. I expect this is what happened, be it intentional or not.

    And which GR individuals have the keys to that kingdom?

    Francois. They guy how has ignored me for the last year about his Golf Forum..

    It's been a really long time-- in Internet time, anyway -- but I recall that I had started to notice hinky rhythms on GR about the time that some Genius, forget who now, decided to enlist some of the Boys to stage a panty raid over at the Mountain Bicycle Sorority House. These hijinks may have caused Francois to consider some sort of Nuclear Option in retribution. If said Francois actually rides Mountain Bicycles but does not really play golf, then I could see his rationale for throwing the grenade down the GR hatch. The Collateral Damage was the vast number of us who didn't really think the Panty Raid was such a good idea but understood its genesis in the general boredom and malaise engendered by The Campaign and The Election.


    Last edited by Mostly German on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm old and my eyesight sucks and this fooking laptop is too damn small with the old lady would figure out how to hook up the Big Screen)

    Golfaholic

    Posts : 102
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Labrador, Canada

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Golfaholic on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:37 am

    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:The is a specific setting in vBulliten with regards to how the site saves cookies. If it gets fucked with users aren't' able to log in. I expect this is what happened, be it intentional or not.

    And which GR individuals have the keys to that kingdom?

    Francois. They guy how has ignored me for the last year about his Golf Forum..

    It's been a really long time-- in Internet time, anyway -- but I recall that I had started to notice hinky rhythms on GR about the time that some Genius, forget who now, decided to enlist some of the Boys to stage a panty raid over at the Mountain Bicycle Sorority House. These hijinks may have caused Francois to consider some sort of Nuclear Option in retribution. If said Francois actually rides Mountain Bicycles but does not really play golf, then I could see his rationale for throwing the grenade down the GR hatch. The Collateral Damage was the vast number of us who didn't really think the Panty Raid was such a good idea but understood its genesis in the general boredom and malaise engendered by The Campaign and The Election.

    I doubt it. If anything, someone probably tried to fix the errors and fucked things up even more. If francois wanted to remove one of his Consumer Review sites, all he has to do is click one button and the entire web page is down. I think it was a case of GR finally taking on as much water as she could hold before there was no chance of staying afloat.
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  FamousDavis on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:26 am

    You guys are retarded. Cookies? GR was a internet forum, not grandma's kitchen.
    avatar
    pingman360

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2012-12-13
    Age : 27
    Location : NC

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  pingman360 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:19 pm

    i see....

    well maybe it will be resolved one day, but until then...

    wofat

    Posts : 1
    Join date : 2012-12-15

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  wofat on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:32 pm

    Golfaholic wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:The is a specific setting in vBulliten with regards to how the site saves cookies. If it gets fucked with users aren't' able to log in. I expect this is what happened, be it intentional or not.

    And which GR individuals have the keys to that kingdom?

    Francois. They guy how has ignored me for the last year about his Golf Forum..

    It's been a really long time-- in Internet time, anyway -- but I recall that I had started to notice hinky rhythms on GR about the time that some Genius, forget who now, decided to enlist some of the Boys to stage a panty raid over at the Mountain Bicycle Sorority House. These hijinks may have caused Francois to consider some sort of Nuclear Option in retribution. If said Francois actually rides Mountain Bicycles but does not really play golf, then I could see his rationale for throwing the grenade down the GR hatch. The Collateral Damage was the vast number of us who didn't really think the Panty Raid was such a good idea but understood its genesis in the general boredom and malaise engendered by The Campaign and The Election.

    I doubt it. If anything, someone probably tried to fix the errors and fucked things up even more. If francois wanted to remove one of his Consumer Review sites, all he has to do is click one button and the entire web page is down. I think it was a case of GR finally taking on as much water as she could hold before there was no chance of staying afloat.

    I think this is closer to reality. I'm betting that in trying to fix (or perhaps upgrade) the security on the site, they broke the silly, infantile, cookie-based auth token. Otherwise they're experimenting with the absolute dumbest possible way of shutting down a site.
    avatar
    Playa Hata

    Posts : 72
    Join date : 2012-12-14
    Location : Bizarro World

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Playa Hata on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:00 pm

    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:The is a specific setting in vBulliten with regards to how the site saves cookies. If it gets fucked with users aren't' able to log in. I expect this is what happened, be it intentional or not.

    And which GR individuals have the keys to that kingdom?

    Francois. They guy how has ignored me for the last year about his Golf Forum..

    It's been a really long time-- in Internet time, anyway -- but I recall that I had started to notice hinky rhythms on GR about the time that some Genius, forget who now, decided to enlist some of the Boys to stage a panty raid over at the Mountain Bicycle Sorority House. These hijinks may have caused Francois to consider some sort of Nuclear Option in retribution. If said Francois actually rides Mountain Bicycles but does not really play golf, then I could see his rationale for throwing the grenade down the GR hatch. The Collateral Damage was the vast number of us who didn't really think the Panty Raid was such a good idea but understood its genesis in the general boredom and malaise engendered by The Campaign and The Election.

    How ballsy of you to speak up now in such a passive aggressive manner. Would you care to list the "vast number" of you who didn't think it was such a good idea? Considering most of those remaining on GR actually participated in the Panty Raid this ought to be interesting.
    avatar
    Lorenzzo

    Posts : 691
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Park City, UT

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Lorenzzo on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 pm

    Playa Hata wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:The is a specific setting in vBulliten with regards to how the site saves cookies. If it gets fucked with users aren't' able to log in. I expect this is what happened, be it intentional or not.

    And which GR individuals have the keys to that kingdom?

    Francois. They guy how has ignored me for the last year about his Golf Forum..

    It's been a really long time-- in Internet time, anyway -- but I recall that I had started to notice hinky rhythms on GR about the time that some Genius, forget who now, decided to enlist some of the Boys to stage a panty raid over at the Mountain Bicycle Sorority House. These hijinks may have caused Francois to consider some sort of Nuclear Option in retribution. If said Francois actually rides Mountain Bicycles but does not really play golf, then I could see his rationale for throwing the grenade down the GR hatch. The Collateral Damage was the vast number of us who didn't really think the Panty Raid was such a good idea but understood its genesis in the general boredom and malaise engendered by The Campaign and The Election.

    How ballsy of you to speak up now in such a passive aggressive manner. Would you care to list the "vast number" of you who didn't think it was such a good idea? Considering most of those remaining on GR actually participated in the Panty Raid this ought to be interesting.

    Well, it doesn't matter, here we are. Unless someone wants to have a life changing experience and confess, who cares? The general feeling was reservation but that it might be worth a try in case GR disintegrated.

    Francois is free to do or not do whatever he likes, that's the way it goes. But it's understandable he'll forever be this site's punch dummy.
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    FON's forum

    Post  FamousDavis on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 am

    Does anyone know the URL to FON's forum that he created? I can't seem to find it on GR or anywhere else. I'd like to check it out. I went over to GR to check things out and the spam is out of control. There's got to be some kind of programming that you can put together to make it harder for hacks to set up a username and start spamming.
    avatar
    FreakOfNature

    Posts : 94
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Nova Scotia

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  FreakOfNature on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 am

    FamousDavis wrote:Does anyone know the URL to FON's forum that he created? I can't seem to find it on GR or anywhere else. I'd like to check it out. I went over to GR to check things out and the spam is out of control. There's got to be some kind of programming that you can put together to make it harder for hacks to set up a username and start spamming.

    I put the board in maintenance mode (offline) seeing as how nobody was using it, and due to the fact that I somehow got a proboards reprimand for nudity/vulgarity for posting a youtube of the Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter". scratch

    I can still re-activate it at any time if need be. They seem a bit sensitive about content over there, so I'm a bit reluctant because I didn't want to have to censor posts and you know, actually have to moderate and stuff. Laughing

    I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but are you considering shutting your board down or something? I mean, if you are then I'll re-activate mine so people at least have a place to go until/if/when GR gets repaired/upgraded.

    GR sucks in the state it's in currently. Too much spam and kiddie porn links - I don't want any of that shit near my computer. Funny how Francois showed up all "Oh I'm so sorry guys! The site got hacked, I'm sorry guys!" one day, and then months go by and he's once again nowhere to be found. Go figure. We had an awesome little community that was growing nicely before the spam epidemic. We had 15-20 new members posting per month, out of which at least one or two seemed to become regulars - at least for a short while. The community was small enough that you got a chance to know everyone a little bit, but large enough that we had a diversity of dialogue and expertise. I really miss the way that place was around 2008/09. I used to lurk there for years though before I finally began participating in 2007. I actually have an account registered from 2002 that I've never used on the GR forums. Back between 03 and 06 GR was like the Wild West of golf forums. Vets like Spank, HB, Zo, Dorky, LyleG, - those guys can attest to how insane GR was back in the day. I regret having only been a spectator for some of the all time great threads. Sadly, I doubt GR will ever rise to reach those levels of greatness again, given how Francois treats the site these days.
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  FamousDavis on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:48 am

    FreakOfNature wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Does anyone know the URL to FON's forum that he created? I can't seem to find it on GR or anywhere else. I'd like to check it out. I went over to GR to check things out and the spam is out of control. There's got to be some kind of programming that you can put together to make it harder for hacks to set up a username and start spamming.

    I put the board in maintenance mode (offline) seeing as how nobody was using it, and due to the fact that I somehow got a proboards reprimand for nudity/vulgarity for posting a youtube of the Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter". scratch

    I can still re-activate it at any time if need be. They seem a bit sensitive about content over there, so I'm a bit reluctant because I didn't want to have to censor posts and you know, actually have to moderate and stuff. Laughing

    I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but are you considering shutting your board down or something? I mean, if you are then I'll re-activate mine so people at least have a place to go until/if/when GR gets repaired/upgraded.

    GR sucks in the state it's in currently. Too much spam and kiddie porn links - I don't want any of that shit near my computer. Funny how Francois showed up all "Oh I'm so sorry guys! The site got hacked, I'm sorry guys!" one day, and then months go by and he's once again nowhere to be found. Go figure. We had an awesome little community that was growing nicely before the spam epidemic. We had 15-20 new members posting per month, out of which at least one or two seemed to become regulars - at least for a short while. The community was small enough that you got a chance to know everyone a little bit, but large enough that we had a diversity of dialogue and expertise. I really miss the way that place was around 2008/09. I used to lurk there for years though before I finally began participating in 2007. I actually have an account registered from 2002 that I've never used on the GR forums. Back between 03 and 06 GR was like the Wild West of golf forums. Vets like Spank, HB, Zo, Dorky, LyleG, - those guys can attest to how insane GR was back in the day. I regret having only been a spectator for some of the all time great threads. Sadly, I doubt GR will ever rise to reach those levels of greatness again, given how Francois treats the site these days.

    I asked for your website URL strictly for the purpose of checking it out to see where everyone was. I don't know what happened to Lorenzo or some of the other guys. Wish they would come back. I would think that the GR site would be pretty easy to fix. There must be some code programming that recognizes spam. Either that or you could change the posting rules or signup procedure for new members. I've never seen so much spam. What confuses me is that it doesn't make sense if you read it. Is it all computer generated just to get certain catch phrases out there? Makes no sense to me.

    Sponsored content

    Re: GR WTF??????

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 am