The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
Horseballs
FamousDavis
Mongrel
Player
8 posters

Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago.

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago.

Post  FamousDavis Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:58 am

Mongrel wrote:The club feels good to swing although I'm a bit concerned about the loft. If it feels good at impact and is repeatable but the flight is flunky, I might pull the steel and put it into the 9.5* 905R head. Then I also have this Sandvik titanium  shaft that I pulled from something or other years ago. It weighs about 100 grams and is stiff flex but with low kick point. Maybe try it in the 905T 8.5 head. WTF.
    Why not install a Dynamic Gold Super Light shaft into the head of the 905r? Mongrel, at your age I can't imagine why you'd think that steel would be the way to go.

I'm telling you, try out the Ping G5 with Aldila NVS. Easiest, long-hitting driver I've ever hit. MUCH easier to hit than my Ping i20 or Titleist 910.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago.

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:27 am

Dynamic Gold Super Light is also made of steel. Just a different alloy than Dynamic Gold making it a bit lighter. I have one of those also. The steel shafted driver will be sharing my bag with a graphite shafted driver and used only on very tight holes where a hybrid or fairway wood would be the tee play. I've got it down to two wedges besides the pitching wedge so there's plenty of room in the bag.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:59 pm

By the end, I didn't like steel on anything. I had thirteen graphite shafts and hickory on the putter.

But steel for somebody like Tiger seems perfectly reasonable at first glance. If he's torquing the graphite, he needs to go back to steel.

As for the mongrel, he's roughly my age, but if he hits steel straighter, who would know better than he?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:02 pm

OK, folks. Just got back from a deserted municipal rec field nearest me that had been freshly mowed. Of course they don't mow it like a fairway but rather like "first cut" rough. Maybe 1.5" high. So I used my long tees and high maybe 20 drives with the steel shafted 905R. Man this sucker is LOUD. Makes every shot sound like you just killed it. The "swish" of the shaft and crack of the head sounded like I came through the ball at 120 but know it wasn't more than 90. So I pulled a couple of them that faded back into what would be in play. The shortest went 190-200 and several fades ended up 25-230 maybe 10 yards max to the right of my intended line. I can live with that on the course. Now I hit several more where I purposely pulled the club through with my left shoulder and arm through impact and two of them ended up 240 and 250 out with one of them three feet left of my intended target which was a pitcher's mound on the baseball diamond and the other about 30 feet left of the football uprights. Those two I can really live with. Player is right about being able to just kill it with steel since it seems that the harder I went at it the straighter it went.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Player wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I thought you were going to say, get divorced before having kids, but I recall that you and the missus are commonwealth husband/wife and have at least one illegitimate child together.  
    Save me the righteous sermons from the pulpit. Getting married just means there is a bit more red tape to cut through if you bust up. In the eyes of the law there is no difference financially, and not being married is the in thing in the cool circles these days so try to keep up with the times nerd.  And its now 2.
    I've reeled in a big fish. I thought those days were over, but it's good to know I've still got it.  
    Yeah, I jumped the gun like a noob, but a good flame war is what things need around here
    Too difficult to have a flame war with someone 10 time zones away.  
    Yeah, and nobody really gives enough of a shit to go for each other. Maybe we need Alan and Larry rsf back.
    I seriously doubt you'll play that Cleveland driver with a steel shaft for any length of time.  Graphite these days is much better than in past years and you don't see any tour pros playing steel shaft in their driver.  Duh.  

But, then again, people from your hemisphere are usually 10 years behind the rest of us so I guess it's not that surprising that you'd be attracted to technology that Tiger used 13 years ago.  
    Played it again today and the results are just getting better and better. I am just as long or maybe a touch longer, but more in control of direction and definitely finding more fairways. I know pros play graphite but you are off with the pixies if you think they play anything remotely close to what goes on sale in the shops. They play real heavy, low torque, tip stiff shafts that would retail for upwards of $500 if they were made availableto the rest of us. Basically they play shafts that perform similar to steel only better. AsI dont have that sort of cash laying around I dexided to go for the next best thing, steel, and have no regrets. I know you are a massive club ho FD, why not give it a go. Its a $50 dollar experiment, max. What have you got to lose?  I honestly believe the graphite revolution has only been a good thing for choppers with weak swings. Any strong player who grew up playing steel would probably get better results going old school and sticking a steel shaft in their driver.
    I know Im not the only person doing this as there is a thread on wrx dedicated to it and the feedback has been nearly all positive.
    Bike manufacturers have taken a page from club manufacturers by practically getting rid of steel in favor of aluminum and carbon.  There is however a contingent of riders who refuse to fall for this and consider it merely a ploy.  You can see who they are in your bike's rear view mirror if it has enough magnification.
    I have no doubt you are correct but you are comparing apples and oranges. In any sport where speed is the only objective of course lighter is better. Its why horses.get weight penalties in handicap races. But golf is about more.than just ss. There were guys on tour in the 80s hitting 300 yard drives, with steel shafted persimmon drivers and balatas. In any case, Im not suggesting using old clubs, just old school shafts. You still get huge benefits from modern titanium heads, its just the shaft is heavier and shorter, which for me is perfect.
    You may be right, biking is different.  A better analogy would be fishing rods.  Noone uses steel fishing rods any more.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Actually, it's about the ride characteristics. Bikes were always made of steel. When aluminum came around, all bike mfg's switched to lightweight, thin wall aluminum. Super light. Rode really harsh. Some riders will tell you carefully manipulated tubes can ride like steel (which is alot more forgiving, hense the smooth ride). Bike weights dropped by major poundage overnite. Now it's carbonfibre. Weighs less than aluminum, rides like........well, lets say 'damped'.
    The saying goes in the bike world, "Steel is real."

I still ride a steel frame. With carbonfibre stays, fork, stem, handlebar and seatpost. Rolling Eyes  My bike weighs 19.5 lbs. Pro riders ride all CF bikes in the 14 lb range.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I thought you were going to say, get divorced before having kids, but I recall that you and the missus are commonwealth husband/wife and have at least one illegitimate child together.  
    Save me the righteous sermons from the pulpit. Getting married just means there is a bit more red tape to cut through if you bust up. In the eyes of the law there is no difference financially, and not being married is the in thing in the cool circles these days so try to keep up with the times nerd.  And its now 2.
    I've reeled in a big fish. I thought those days were over, but it's good to know I've still got it.  
    Yeah, I jumped the gun like a noob, but a good flame war is what things need around here
    Yeah, and nobody really gives enough of a shit to go for each other. Maybe we need Alan and Larry rsf back.
    I seriously doubt you'll play that Cleveland driver with a steel shaft for any length of time.  Graphite these days is much better than in past years and you don't see any tour pros playing steel shaft in their driver.  Duh.  

But, then again, people from your hemisphere are usually 10 years behind the rest of us so I guess it's not that surprising that you'd be attracted to technology that Tiger used 13 years ago.  
    Played it again today and the results are just getting better and better. I am just as long or maybe a touch longer, but more in control of direction and definitely finding more fairways. I know pros play graphite but you are off with the pixies if you think they play anything remotely close to what goes on sale in the shops. They play real heavy, low torque, tip stiff shafts that would retail for upwards of $500 if they were made availableto the rest of us. Basically they play shafts that perform similar to steel only better. AsI dont have that sort of cash laying around I dexided to go for the next best thing, steel, and have no regrets. I know you are a massive club ho FD, why not give it a go. Its a $50 dollar experiment, max. What have you got to lose?  I honestly believe the graphite revolution has only been a good thing for choppers with weak swings. Any strong player who grew up playing steel would probably get better results going old school and sticking a steel shaft in their driver.
    I know Im not the only person doing this as there is a thread on wrx dedicated to it and the feedback has been nearly all positive.
    Bike manufacturers have taken a page from club manufacturers by practically getting rid of steel in favor of aluminum and carbon.  There is however a contingent of riders who refuse to fall for this and consider it merely a ploy.  You can see who they are in your bike's rear view mirror if it has enough magnification.
    I have no doubt you are correct but you are comparing apples and oranges. In any sport where speed is the only objective of course lighter is better. Its why horses.get weight penalties in handicap races. But golf is about more.than just ss. There were guys on tour in the 80s hitting 300 yard drives, with steel shafted persimmon drivers and balatas. In any case, Im not suggesting using old clubs, just old school shafts. You still get huge benefits from modern titanium heads, its just the shaft is heavier and shorter, which for me is perfect.
    You may be right, biking is different.  A better analogy would be fishing rods.  Noone uses steel fishing rods any more.
    Steel fishing rods? I been fishing for 60 years and never saw a steel fishing rod. Now as for other tools, rumour has it that some Sicilians used steel brooms.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:57 am

Mongrel wrote:OK, folks. Just got back from a deserted municipal rec field nearest me that had been freshly mowed. Of course they don't mow it like a fairway but rather like "first cut" rough. Maybe 1.5" high. So I used my long tees and high maybe 20 drives with the steel shafted 905R. Man this sucker is LOUD. Makes every shot sound like you just killed it. The "swish" of the shaft and crack of the head sounded like I came through the ball at 120 but know it wasn't more than 90. So I pulled a couple of them that faded back into what would be in play. The shortest went 190-200 and several fades ended up 25-230 maybe 10 yards max to the right of my intended line. I can live with that on the course. Now I hit several more where I purposely pulled the club through with my left shoulder and arm through impact and two of them ended up 240 and 250 out with one of them three feet left of my intended target which was a pitcher's mound on the baseball diamond and the other about 30 feet left of the football uprights. Those two I can really live with. Player is right about being able to just kill it with steel since it seems that the harder I went at it the straighter it went.
    I think the reason you can go after it and stay straight is the torque rating. S300 is somewhere less than 2, which is way lower than even the top end graphite shafts. The extra weight also allows you to feel the head, meaning you can keep accelerating right through impact. If I try to chase one with graphite I lose the feel of the head halfway down and lose form as well as decelerate. I think the constant acceleration right past impact is the reason steel goes so straight, you just cant overpower it like you can graphite.

I would really like to see some others here give steel a go, I feel kind of selfish having this magic all to myself. And now Mongrel.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:31 am

Yes, the torque is very low compared to graphite. However, I think the reason I can get up and wallop this 905R is that the steel shaft has a much different bend profile than any graphite I've hit. The feel of the first ball I hit with it yesterday afternoon took me back decades when most of us were still playing steel in driver and fairway woods. However, the real bonus is the driver head which has the trampoline-effect face. I never got on real well with this 11.5* R head with any of the half dozen or so shafts I tried in it. Now it is the most solid smasher I can recall hitting. I was going to put the DG R300 in the 9.5* R head but that already has a shaft in it and the 11.5* didn't. I was too lazy and too impatient to try the steel again. And the roll is like double what I've been getting from my gamer 909 DComp.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Mongrel wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:

Steel fishing rods? I been fishing for 60 years and never saw a steel fishing rod. Now as for other tools, rumour has it that some Sicilians used steel brooms.
    You may be right about fishing rods. In that case let's look at baseball bats. MLB once used wooden bats but now aluminum is the thing.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:17 pm

MLB still uses wood bats. The colleges and below use metal and the most expensive are made from some titanium allow. I think that they are about as pricey as titanium drivers. Myself, I grew up playing baseball with wooden bats and there is hardly any better feeling in sports than connecting with a 95 mph hardball with the sweetspot of a wooden bat. Metal bats suck.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Mongrel wrote:MLB still uses wood bats. The colleges and below use metal and the most expensive are made from some titanium allow. I think that they are about as pricey as titanium drivers. Myself, I grew up playing baseball with wooden bats and there is hardly any better feeling in sports than connecting with a 95 mph hardball with the sweetspot of a wooden bat. Metal bats suck.
    You know what, you're right.  Ok, perhaps the analogy would be toilet paper.  Those old pear wrapping from the Old Country are still the best. You wipe your ass with Charmin and you never know if the tensile strength of the paper will be enough.  With good pear wrappings you'll never inadvertantly stick your finger up your ass.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:34 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:MLB still uses wood bats. The colleges and below use metal and the most expensive are made from some titanium allow. I think that they are about as pricey as titanium drivers. Myself, I grew up playing baseball with wooden bats and there is hardly any better feeling in sports than connecting with a 95 mph hardball with the sweetspot of a wooden bat. Metal bats suck.
    You know what, you're right.  Ok, perhaps the analogy would be toilet paper.  Those old pear wrapping from the Old Country are still the best. You wipe your ass with Charmin and you never know if the tensile strength of the paper will be enough.  With good pear wrappings you'll never inadvertantly stick your finger up your ass.
    Tempo...tempo... Wipe your a$$ with tempo, like slow take away, everything would be fine Razz 
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:25 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Ha! Reminds me of when the old man took the family to Europe in the summer of 1959. We stayed in London for several days in what was supposed to be their most luxurious hotel. I was just a kid of 12 but still remember the toilet paper. Glossy and shiny like wax paper. Didn't do much to get the poop off. My father said that the British were still recovering and rebuilding from the War so they didn't have the good stuff like we did in the USA. Like food.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Played again yesterday and the steel honeymoon is continuing. I didnt have my best swing but got away with less than perfect swings. Hit a couple of handsy pulls which would usually be way left but were only in the left rough. I also pured a couple and I can confirm thwre is no drop in distance with steel, through the air and in run out. My best drive was about a 275 metre power fade into a slight cross breeze, but slightly downhill. Thats a touch over 300 yards in the old scale. I am now going to give.my 10.5 905T the steel treatment, which should be even better as the bore through will stiffen the tip section amd make it even straighter. Although I cant imagine it being much better.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:55 pm

The T head has long been one of my favorites. The shaft I just put in my 905R came from a 10.5* T but I only inserted it about 1.75" or so in that head and I put it about 3 inches into the R head. The T played a bit over 44" and the R is at 43.5" on the button. I think that the extra shaft tip into the head of the bore-throughs is what makes it such a solid hitter. Now I did not tip the R300 shaft at all and, believe it or not, the tips of those Dynamic Gold .335" wood shafts are fairly loose according to the Dynacraft Shaft Fitting Index now owned and published by Hireko Golf. And the torque is a bit more than I thought-- in the range of 2.9* or so raw and 2.8* when cut to length. The ratio of measured butt stiffness to tip stiffness is in the high twos (2.7-2.9) which means that the shaft can be hooked. Any butt/tip ratio 2.0 or under means a stiff anti-left shaft. That explains to me why the damn thing feels so good.

This morning I pulled the graphite shaft out of my Cobra Baffler 20* hybrid and put a Dynamic Gold SL in it and it measures about 39.5". Jury is still out on that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:49 pm