The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum


    New Spikes

    Share
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1761
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    New Spikes

    Post  Mongrel on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:07 pm

    Last round I played two weeks ago (I tied for 1st but won 1st place money by virtue of tie-breaker) I noticed that I was slipping on some full swings. The course was dry so it certainly wasn't damp turf. I checked the spikes (I guess the politically correct term now is "cleats") and noticed that most were pretty worn. So yesterday I went to the local Golf Galaxy and bought a replacement set. These are the hard ones, the skinny ones that look like baby octopus tentacles. Of course I had to buy one of those special cleat wrenches. The originals were red and black but they didn't have those. They did have yellow and black ones and those I bought. Amazing how easy it was to remove the old ones and twict and click the new dudes into place. I went out this afternoon and hit a bucket at the mat range and then on the way home stopped at a local rec field that was recently mown and devoid of humans and took my shag bag, Sonartec 3 wood and newly reshafted MX 25 4 iron. I popped a few Sonartecs in the 230-240 range and, after I got the stance dialed in, hit a bunch of 4 irons with and into a breeze. Amazing what a difference new spikes/cleats make. Most of my 4 irons ended up about 190 with maybe 15 yards variance left to right. The one I hit DSP ended up at 240 but must have hit the hard-packed infield that was my target and hopped a bit. These new cleats are better than lessons or new clubs.
    avatar
    jmtbkr

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : LawnGuylund/Palm Beach Gardens

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  jmtbkr on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:33 pm

    It's funny to me when youy old guys upgrade to modern stuff.
    I bet you still walk around with your 'cell phone' thats the size of a shoebox and 3 foot antenna. And you still read hardcover books. Actually, my wife still does so I'll retract that one.

    geek geek geek 

    Seriously tho...new cleats can make the difference. I guess it also depends on how many are on your shoes. I'm styling with the new Footjoy ProjectM that have 5 cleats each. I changed them out immediately for the Black Widow ones - very soft feeling. Now that I've had them for over a month, I'm actually considering a pair of them in cleatless - just the nubby bottoms. My older Nikes had 9 cleats on them and I could walk up the walls of pot bunkers, but they weren't as comfortable as the FJ with less cleats.

    Totally subjective thing here!flower 
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    Soft Spikes

    Post  FamousDavis on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:42 pm

    I remember purchasing my first soft spike wrench from a golf store.  It was a huge step up from flipping the divot fixer upside down to remove spikes.  Only problem is, soft spikes are much harder to remove than traditional metal spikes.  In fact, I think I once came close to straining a shoulder muscle trying to get a soft spike out with that stupid wrench.  

    As a solution to this problem, I simply throw away my shoes after 18 months. If I buy my Footjoy Contours or Dryjoys on Ebay, usually for $59 or $79 respectively.  In my experience, since I only walk about 1/3 of the time, my soft spikes are usually good enough for the life of the shoe, which is about 2 years.  After 2 years, even if the shoe still looks OK, it has started to break down and doesn't provide the support it once did.  

    I find this not only spares me the headache of changing spikes but also is economically sound, considering that refurbishing would cost a $10 tip for a shine and another $15 for the spikes for to the locker room attendant.  Not to mention the cost of the spikes.

    After much experimentation, I find that Footjoy Contours fit my feet perfectly.  Better than Dryjoys and much better than any Callaway or Nike shoe I've worn.
    avatar
    Pky6471

    Posts : 834
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Between DC and NY

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Pky6471 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:16 am

    http://www.amazon.com/Softspikes-Tour-Cleat-Twist-Count/dp/B003IB76X2/ref=zg_bs_3411151_21

    First time I've used this and IMO they are very good. I feel a lot more stable under feet.... will stay with this brand for now...
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1761
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Mongrel on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:25 am

    jmtbkr wrote:It's funny to me when youy old guys upgrade to modern stuff.  
    I bet you still walk around with your 'cell phone' thats the size of a shoebox and 3 foot antenna. And you still read hardcover books. Actually, my wife still does so I'll retract that one.

    geek geek geek 

    Seriously tho...new cleats can make the difference.  I guess it also depends on how many are on your shoes. I'm styling with the new Footjoy ProjectM that have 5 cleats each. I changed them out immediately for the Black Widow ones - very soft feeling.  Now that I've had them for over a month, I'm actually considering a pair of them in cleatless - just the nubby bottoms. My older Nikes had 9 cleats on them and I could walk up the walls of pot bunkers, but they weren't as comfortable as the FJ with less cleats.

    Totally subjective thing here!flower 

    Upgrade to modern stuff? In the early summer of 1994 the Moronic Environmentalist Golf Ninnies dictated the ban of metal spikes so there was really no choice. As for hard-bound books, that's about all I read. About 4-7 per month. All free from the county public library. Now the wife, who is substantially younger, has the Kindle and bought one for me several Christmases ago. I admit that I really like it but you have to pay for the books. She always buys the latest releases from a select set of thriller authors and transfers them to my Kindle. However, there have been occasions where I already finished the book from the library when she tells me that she just put it on my Kindle.
    avatar
    Lorenzzo

    Posts : 672
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Park City, UT

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Lorenzzo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:14 am

    I recently got new cleats for my road bike.  Plenty of folks around here are springing for carbon wheels but I just don't see the point even when racing.  It's fun coming in ahead of somebody with $1,500 carbon rims when you're riding on whatever came on the bike.  The carbon thing is a little bit overblown.  Kind of like cavity backs being better than blades.  It's mostly manufacturers pursuing earnings/bonuses/etc.  Noone gets paid when you decide your old stuff is fine.  Get a good carbon fork, a really good aluminum frame and wheels, some 105-s and you're pretty much there.

    Tires are another matter.  They wear out anyways so when the time comes I'm going to upgrade.
    avatar
    FamousDavis
    Admin

    Posts : 1091
    Join date : 2012-12-04

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  FamousDavis on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:16 am

    Lorenzzo wrote:I recently got new cleats for my road bike.  Plenty of folks around here are springing for carbon wheels but I just don't see the point even when racing.  It's fun coming in ahead of somebody with $1,500 carbon rims when you're riding on whatever came on the bike.  The carbon thing is a little bit overblown.  Kind of like cavity backs being better than blades.  It's mostly manufacturers pursuing earnings/bonuses/etc.  Noone gets paid when you decide your old stuff is fine.  Get a good carbon fork, a really good aluminum frame and wheels, some 105-s and you're pretty much there.

    Tires are another matter.  They wear out anyways so when the time comes I'm going to upgrade.

    Don't forget to wear your matching Lycra shorts and top.
    avatar
    Lorenzzo

    Posts : 672
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Park City, UT

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Lorenzzo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:19 am

    Mongrel wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:It's funny to me when youy old guys upgrade to modern stuff.  
    I bet you still walk around with your 'cell phone' thats the size of a shoebox and 3 foot antenna. And you still read hardcover books. Actually, my wife still does so I'll retract that one.

    geek geek geek 

    Seriously tho...new cleats can make the difference.  I guess it also depends on how many are on your shoes. I'm styling with the new Footjoy ProjectM that have 5 cleats each. I changed them out immediately for the Black Widow ones - very soft feeling.  Now that I've had them for over a month, I'm actually considering a pair of them in cleatless - just the nubby bottoms. My older Nikes had 9 cleats on them and I could walk up the walls of pot bunkers, but they weren't as comfortable as the FJ with less cleats.

    Totally subjective thing here!flower 

    Upgrade to modern stuff? In the early summer of 1994 the Moronic Environmentalist Golf Ninnies dictated the ban of metal spikes so there was really no choice. As for hard-bound books, that's about all I read. About 4-7 per month. All free from the county public library. Now the wife, who is substantially younger, has the Kindle and bought one for me several Christmases ago. I admit that I really like it but you have to pay for the books. She always buys the latest releases from a select set of thriller authors and transfers them to my Kindle. However, there have been occasions where I already finished the book from the library when she tells me that she just put it on my Kindle.

    Mongrel, what's the age difference? I get play from 20 somethings around here but aside from driving the ex nuts I feel like their Dad. What's the key to having it feel natural?
    avatar
    Lorenzzo

    Posts : 672
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Park City, UT

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Lorenzzo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:43 am

    FamousDavis wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:I recently got new cleats for my road bike.  Plenty of folks around here are springing for carbon wheels but I just don't see the point even when racing.  It's fun coming in ahead of somebody with $1,500 carbon rims when you're riding on whatever came on the bike.  The carbon thing is a little bit overblown.  Kind of like cavity backs being better than blades.  It's mostly manufacturers pursuing earnings/bonuses/etc.  Noone gets paid when you decide your old stuff is fine.  Get a good carbon fork, a really good aluminum frame and wheels, some 105-s and you're pretty much there.

    Tires are another matter.  They wear out anyways so when the time comes I'm going to upgrade.

    Don't forget to wear your matching Lycra shorts and top.

    You're right FD. I'm really into biking but I hate the stuff most people wear. I just go with black or white jerseys but they are for biking because wind resistance matters. No peacock stuff for me however.

    I do cave on bicycle shorts. First and most importantly, bike shorts come with a pad in the crotch to protect your nuts. Secondly chicks get turned on by them, even though you and I think they look stupid.
    avatar
    jmtbkr

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : LawnGuylund/Palm Beach Gardens

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  jmtbkr on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 pm

    Lorenzzo wrote:I recently got new cleats for my road bike.  Plenty of folks around here are springing for carbon wheels but I just don't see the point even when racing.  It's fun coming in ahead of somebody with $1,500 carbon rims when you're riding on whatever came on the bike.  The carbon thing is a little bit overblown.  Kind of like cavity backs being better than blades.  It's mostly manufacturers pursuing earnings/bonuses/etc.  Noone gets paid when you decide your old stuff is fine.  Get a good carbon fork, a really good aluminum frame and wheels, some 105-s and you're pretty much there.

    Tires are another matter.  They wear out anyways so when the time comes I'm going to upgrade.
    road platforms or SPD's?

    I totally agree with everything except the aluminum frame bit. I have a 853 reynolds steel frame with carbon stays, fork, seat post, stem and bar. Much more comfy:flower: 

    I'm using Conti Grand Prix 4000S in 25cm width @ 95psi. May try the 28's next time around
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1761
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Mongrel on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 pm

    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:It's funny to me when youy old guys upgrade to modern stuff.  
    I bet you still walk around with your 'cell phone' thats the size of a shoebox and 3 foot antenna. And you still read hardcover books. Actually, my wife still does so I'll retract that one.

    geek geek geek 

    Seriously tho...new cleats can make the difference.  I guess it also depends on how many are on your shoes. I'm styling with the new Footjoy ProjectM that have 5 cleats each. I changed them out immediately for the Black Widow ones - very soft feeling.  Now that I've had them for over a month, I'm actually considering a pair of them in cleatless - just the nubby bottoms. My older Nikes had 9 cleats on them and I could walk up the walls of pot bunkers, but they weren't as comfortable as the FJ with less cleats.

    Totally subjective thing here!flower 

    Upgrade to modern stuff? In the early summer of 1994 the Moronic Environmentalist Golf Ninnies dictated the ban of metal spikes so there was really no choice. As for hard-bound books, that's about all I read. About 4-7 per month. All free from the county public library. Now the wife, who is substantially younger, has the Kindle and bought one for me several Christmases ago. I admit that I really like it but you have to pay for the books. She always buys the latest releases from a select set of thriller authors and transfers them to my Kindle. However, there have been occasions where I already finished the book from the library when she tells me that she just put it on my Kindle.

    Mongrel, what's the age difference?  I get play from 20 somethings around here but aside from driving the ex nuts I feel like their Dad.  What's the key to having it feel natural?

    20 years. The only things that are natural are birth and death. The rest of it you just have to learn to control.
    avatar
    Lorenzzo

    Posts : 672
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Park City, UT

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Lorenzzo on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:49 am

    jmtbkr wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:I recently got new cleats for my road bike.  Plenty of folks around here are springing for carbon wheels but I just don't see the point even when racing.  It's fun coming in ahead of somebody with $1,500 carbon rims when you're riding on whatever came on the bike.  The carbon thing is a little bit overblown.  Kind of like cavity backs being better than blades.  It's mostly manufacturers pursuing earnings/bonuses/etc.  Noone gets paid when you decide your old stuff is fine.  Get a good carbon fork, a really good aluminum frame and wheels, some 105-s and you're pretty much there.

    Tires are another matter.  They wear out anyways so when the time comes I'm going to upgrade.
    road platforms or SPD's?

    I totally agree with everything except the aluminum frame bit. I have a 853 reynolds steel frame with carbon stays, fork, seat post, stem and bar. Much more comfy:flower: 

    I'm using Conti Grand Prix 4000S in 25cm width @ 95psi.  May try the 28's next time around

    Yeah, I meant full carbon framing isn't necessarily the best on a road bike with other carbon components. I've always liked the feeling of aluminum. It's too harsh on an MB but for me on an RB it's just nice.

    I haven't ridden a super expensive carbon frame but then I don't expect to buy one.

    Heard good things about the Contis, I would like to find something that could survive 95 psi. My OEM's can't.
    avatar
    Player

    Posts : 182
    Join date : 2013-03-02

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Player on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 am

    With the price of cleats I think its better just getting new shoes when the cleats wear down.

    Dixon Cox

    Posts : 12
    Join date : 2015-01-22

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Dixon Cox on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:57 pm

    Lots of choices nowadays. Man, I member metal spikes and dudes ruining greens with them.
    What a Face
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1761
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Mongrel on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:21 pm

    And I remember being able to load up on my right side and drive my legs through a 3 iron shot carrying it 220-230. Never could do that with any of the plastic homo cleats. In the winter of '93-'94 here in the Mid Atlantic, there were frequent ice storms and the roads, sidewalks, and grass was covered for days with sheets of ice 1/4 to 1/2" thick. My golf shoes with metal spikes allowed me to get around without falling once. Then at an event late in the spring of '94, the dude at the registration desk said that we had to switch out our steel for plastic. What a bunch of nanny-statists.

    Sponsored content

    Re: New Spikes

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:03 am