The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

I champion you?

12pierogi

I champion you?

Post  12pierogi on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:57 pm

I had that twice told to me to me on league tonite. After I hit two par 5s in two, putting for eagles, I didn't convert, but I got birdies on both. That's four times within a week I've pulled that off. 2 different courses.
    What did the other team mean? I've never heard that phrase. They insisted on shaking my hand, I guess for going for it?
    I love my 3 wood.
    jmtbkr

Re: I champion you?

Post  jmtbkr on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 am

12pierogi wrote:I had that twice told to me to me on league tonite. After I hit two par 5s in two, putting for eagles, I didn't convert, but I got birdies on both. That's four times within a week I've pulled that off. 2 different courses.
    What did the other team mean? I've never heard that phrase. They insisted on shaking my hand, I guess for going for it?
    I love my 3 wood.

Love my 3Wood too.

From the fairway or off the tee, it's savsd my butt every time I use it!
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 am

You know what jam? It does boil down to confidence in a club, your swing, more mental than most will admit.
    The comical thing is I hated this club, the r9 3 wood, I have another 3 wood I hit a ton, but with no semblance of accuracy. I picked up an old r11 3 wood shaft, that is a near perfect match for my swing, popped it in the r9, wallah, so much straighter then my other 3 wood, it allows me to go for it now.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:28 am

That sounds like something a metrosexual male would say to you before giving you an involuntary hug. Try that shit with me and you get my gap wedge dead solid perfect in your nuts. Yes, gap wedge. Because that is what I'd be hitting into the par 5 green after laying up. I must have 10-15 three woods lying around in various stages. Some complete. Some with shafts but no grips yet. Some heads awaiting shafts. I can't hit any of them reliably. I never got one of those CGB Taylors you raved about. The ones with the red heads. Maybe they are good but I've only seen one used and that was in the local Golfsmith and they wanted like $150 for it. Yeah, right. The best feeling one I have is a Sonartec SS 2.5 in 14*. Maybe tonight I'll pull the shaft in it and try another one. Maybe try the Voodoo for Titleist in stiff that I pulled out of the 909D3. Maybe the Penley for Sonartec in stiff that maybe came in that head. I forgot. Maybe the Fuji Vista Pro 80 stiff that came in another Sonartec 3 wood I have. Shit. Maybe I'll just lay up.
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:47 am

You sound a little like my 67 year old buddy I play with.
    Last summer we were having a casual round for beers afterwards, he always struggled with a 3 wood, till I coughed up mine, he pulls some antiquated 2 iron hybrid looking club his deceased dad carried, I call it the 50/50 club, due to the fact he only hits it 50% of the time, and only marginally then.
    He duffs a drive, out comes the 50/50 I'm chuckling inside by now, and elbowing my buddy, should of had the iPhone ready, 2 more duffs in a row, cussing ensued, he's walking back toward the golf car and proceeds to wail on the roof trying to break it, it doesn't break after numerous attempts, tough ass old club.
    I'm in hysterics by now, but I felt sorry in more ways than one, for him and his inability to not hit a 3 wood, and the fact that it was a 100 degrees, and he could have popped a blood vessel after that outburst, I could have lost one of my buddy's.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:07 am

I'm just a year younger than your buddy. I can't hit fookiing hybrids reliably, either. Regardless of what shafts I put in them. The only exception is my Cobra Baffler 23* 4 hybrid that I have a V2 regular flex hybrid shaft in that I cut down to play at Mizuno 4 iron spec length. I can hit it well but the problem is that i can hit my 5 or even 6 iron in my new MX 25 set as well or better than the hybrid. So I just reshafted the MX 25 3 and 4 irons with some Dynalite Gold R300's I had lying around hardstepping them once. If I can get 190-200 out of the 3 iron including roll, I'll be good to go. After three rounds with the MX 25's, I'm finding them to be the best of the early MX crowd (20 & 23) that I've played. Looking carefully at the soles of all three models, the MX 25 seems to have a bit more bevel on the leading edge and a good bit thinner flat area on the bottom of the sole making it much better for me off both real tight lies and out of the rough.
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:37 am

He's very much like you, in retrospect to hybids, can't hit em for shit.
    I gave him the Crappaway hybrid I found in the bean field a couple years ago, it just rides around in his bag.
    I threatened repossession of the club, as he always pulled his long irons out instead, and a quarter of the time mis hits his 3 or 4.
    I explain no matter what you hear or see, hit the damn hybrid off the inside of your left foot, don't hit it like an iron. He's come around, I'm proud of him, as he uses it appropriately now, and he hits it quite well.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:00 am

After I changed my swing this winter, I hit all my irons off the inside of my left foot. And hit driver off the front of the left foot. Playing those ball positions is the only way I can get the weight all the way forward from impact to follow through. Sort of a combo of Rotary Swing and S&T with grudging acknowledgement to Larry from Rancho Sante Fe. Former home of Marshall Applewhite and Heaven's Gate-- now united with the Mother Ship.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:22 am

12pierogi wrote:You know what jam? It does boil down to confidence in a club, your swing, more mental than most will admit.
    The comical thing is I hated this club, the r9 3 wood, I have another 3 wood I hit a ton, but with no semblance of accuracy. I picked up an old r11 3 wood shaft, that is a near perfect match for my swing, popped it in the r9, wallah, so much straighter then my other 3 wood, it allows me to go for it now.

12....I gotta agree with you here.  And I understand where Mongrel's coming from about his 3W phobia.

It's all in yer head!!!

That's why I'm understanding that this is really a mental game. Sure, physical abiliry has a part in it, but it's sooo much more mental than playing baseball or lacrosse (games I excelled in in my younger years).
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:29 am

I like my Cally GBB II 3W, but it leaks a little... this year after I change my gaybrids from Adams Tech OS to Cleveland HiBore XLS and love them, I move to Cleveland HiBore XLS 3W and really love this club, it kicks my Cally GBB out of my bag... I love this brand so much I just eBayed a HiBore XLS driver which I will test it this weekend Laughing  .... I know big Dave used to swear by this brand, not sure if he's still using those clubs
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:56 am

With Big Dave's superb tempo and new svelte figure, I reckon that he could hit any type of clubs handed to him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:38 am