The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Fred3 makes an appearance over at GR

Mongrel

Re: Fred3 makes an appearance over at GR

Post  Mongrel on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:55 pm

If I'd worn ear plugs during my almost two years very close to naval gunfire and the multitude of rock concerts I attended, I might be able to hear a little better. Range Rovers are OK. Kind of expensive, though. They were the vehicle of choice for the successful local black drug dealers in the Maryland area in the late '80's and early '90's. Later, they seemed to adopt BMW as the preferred mode. This is ironic to me since BMW has a long history of supplying stuff for the Wehrmacht. And Hitler included blacks amongst his collection of humans he called "monkeys".Of course lots of Jews drive BMW's today and many of them own dealerships.
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:18 pm

I'll throw in the Honda Element and the Pontiac Aztec.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 am

I saw one of those Smart cars driving down the freeway. In my opinion, it can't be too smart to be driving a car like that. Some of you guys probably haven't heard of the car as I'm sure it's only popular in California.

I agree with the bluetooth ear piece. What's with people that carry on a loud conversation while you're waiting in line? I hate that.
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:12 am

FamousDavis wrote:I saw one of those Smart cars driving down the freeway.  In my opinion, it can't be too smart to be driving a car like that.  Some of you guys probably haven't heard of the car as I'm sure it's only popular in California.  

I agree with the bluetooth ear piece.  What's with people that carry on a loud conversation while you're waiting in line?  I hate that.  
    One of the consultants I work with in Shithole, KY has a smart car that he ships via rail to wherever he's working. I can't imagine trying to drive that thing amongst the myriad of monster trucks in KY.

I also hate it when Smart cars and Mini Coopers pull all the way forward in a full parking garage.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33 am

jt1135 wrote:I'll throw in the Honda Element and the Pontiac Aztec.

The Element intrigued me when it came out. In the right colors and devoid of fancy bodywork accessories, it might be a cool vehicle. I had fancied maybe getting one and getting a Maryland vanity license plate that read "Fifth". And I have some road miles in a former neighbor's Aztek. It was actually a good riding machine and had adequate pop with its V-6. Still a punk ride, though. Pontiac styling went downhill, in my humble opinion, after the '64 GTO and the
    '70 Firebird Trans Am.
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Mongrel wrote:

The Element intrigued me when it came out. In the right colors and devoid of fancy bodywork accessories, it might be a cool vehicle. I had fancied maybe getting one and getting a Maryland vanity license plate that read "Fifth". And I have some road miles in a former neighbor's Aztek. It was actually a good riding machine and had adequate pop with its V-6. Still a punk ride, though. Pontiac styling went downhill, in my humble opinion, after the '64 GTO and the
    '70 Firebird Trans Am.

Pontiac really stumbled with designs after the TA's. Even tho I had a Formula Sunbird that was kind of fun. But the Dustbusters and the Aztec's were butt ugly effing vehicles.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:12 am

Mongrel wrote:

'70 Firebird Trans Am.

Muuuulti-pass!

My bud has an element. Awesome car for almost everything. Especially mountain biking. Just put the back seats up and you can fit 3 bikes in it without taking anything apart. Afterwards, he hoses out the interior of mud and dirt and, voila!, its like new.
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:27 am

Anything made in Europe, especially triumph, mg, probably fiat as well, are seriously gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    As far as pontiac goes, I actually like the later model gto.
    2 doors, six speed trans, they have a nice look. I think there made in Australia.

By the way I heard ford is pulling out of Australia, I think 1.1 million cars were sold there last year, and that's not enough?

Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:46 am

I have to admit that the modern version of the Goat which is based on the Aussie Holden is a decent machine with that Vette motor. However, when you look at the interior, especially the gauges, it seems that everything is all crammed together which is fine if you're a short guy. Now the 1964 was based on the el cheapo Tempest two door with posts. It was Pontiac's compact at the time but you still had lots of leg and elbow room and the correct places to brace yourself when speed-shifting or banging around corners. Well, right-handed corners anyway.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:45 pm

jmtbkr wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:

'70 Firebird Trans Am.

Muuuulti-pass!

My bud has an element. Awesome car for almost everything. Especially mountain biking. Just put the back seats up and you can fit 3 bikes in it without taking anything apart.  Afterwards, he hoses out the interior of mud and dirt and, voila!, its like new.

I have put skis, bikes and fishing gear inside or on top of my Q5 for the last time. I sprung for an OEM trailer hitch, Thule T2 and TRAM 33. Takes seconds to put a bike on or take it off and no contact with frames.
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Mongrel wrote:I have to admit that the modern version of the Goat which is based on the Aussie Holden is a decent machine with that Vette motor. However, when you look at the interior, especially the gauges, it seems that everything is all crammed together which is fine if you're a short guy. Now the 1964 was based on the el cheapo Tempest two door with posts. It was Pontiac's compact at the time but you still had lots of leg and elbow room and the correct places to brace yourself when speed-shifting or banging around corners. Well, right-handed corners anyway.
    I've drove several of the last generation gto, and the seating in front is nice, the shifter just falls into your hand perfectly. The steering wheel adjust to any size individual.
    I haven't rode in the backseat of one, but it looks ample, getting in and out probably is a chore, the trunk is a joke.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:55 pm

My 1966 GTO convertible had plenty of room in the interior and had the optional fully reclining passenger seat. Boy did that get workouts when I was a college sophomore. The back seat was also quite commodious which was cool when she got tired of the passenger seat. The trunk would hold at least three full sized adult bodies or three full sized tour bags, a case of quarts, and a full sized spare tire. The shifter fell readily to heat since it was a two speed Powerglide with a column shifter. It had sort of a natural metal finished engine-turned dash. No tach. None needed. Just run it up until it stopped accelerating and pop her from Low to Drive. Before the universals loosened up at about 2,500 miles, it would spin both rear wheels about ten feet when shifting from Low to Drive at full throttle. This occurred around 65 mph letting the gearbox do the shifting. It was a big old loaf of metal but handled OK around high speed corners due to the abundance of torque with which to do most of the steering. The old man sold it right after I reported to boot camp in December of 1967. It was light metallic silver with a red vinyl interior and black rag top. I still miss it.
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:29 pm

A great car at the time I'm sure, as that power glide probably saved your life. 1-2 done.
    My 67 Camaro was a pooch with a power glide. A good thing at 16
    There's one down the road, guys an avid GTO collector, I guess he was offered a rather ridiculous amount of money for it, and turned it down.
    It has a ram air option, that must be rare for that model, and the car needs a complete resto.

I was pretty hot for a 68 convertible in the day, late 70s would have been my second car, lady wouldn't sell it. Couldn't blame her, it was a pretty car. Seems it was triple black.
    My buddy, saw him today, had a 69 Judge with the 400 tripower. Got it fairly cheap, as it was a factory 4 speed car, that someone put a turbo 400 in with a loose converter.
    He blew the tranny out, actually the converter broke loose, and sheared the bell housing, wedging the trans in the tunnel, pretzeled the driveshaft at 130mph.
    Trans fluid stained the highway for years, for miles. He never hit the brakes, coasting as far as he could.
    I bought a 69 blazer with a 350, horrible driving vehicle, but it was a p#ssy wagon, for my second vehicle. I had my priorities straight.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:39 am

My father and I would take off every winter weekend for the 2.5 hour ride to the ski area north of Scranton, PA, for five years. When he got the GTO, he had studded snow tires put on the rear of the GTO and a ski rack installed over the convertible top. This was the era when you had to use skiis that were at least 6 1/2 feet long if you went fast on hardpack and ice like I did. Anyway, that GTO with the studded tires was a real snowmobile. I remember driving one of my father's friends back home late on a Saturday night when he had some emergency at his restaurant. It had been snowing since noon and there were about six inches of unplowed snow on the Pennsylvania Turnpike Northeast Extension. My passenger was 3/4 in the bag from the liquor they all drank at dinner and I averaged almost 80 on that snow-covered concrete highway. Later in the spring, the tungsten studs were almost worn and it was a blast to take the car out at night and spin the rear tires on the asphalt. the sparks were magnificent. Especially since I could spin them for about 1/8 mile in low gear.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 am

This morning I saw a Datsun 280 Z in the parking lot in mint condition. It was dark blue metallic and looked identical to the car my father owned back in the late 70's before he bought the BMW 528. That Datsun is a beautiful looking car. Much smaller than I remember but then again all cars were smaller back then. I still can't believe the condition that thing is in. It looks like it came right off the lot, back in the 70's!
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 am

The day after I returned to San Diego from Viet Nam in late 1970, I set out to buy a new car. The two choices I'd made while out of the country based on car magazines I'd managed to scrounge in Hong Kong were the Datsun 240Z and the BMW 2002. There was one 240Z on a showroom floor at a dealership somewhere up on the Mesa. It was dark blue with tan interior and they wanted $4,400 for it which was several hundred bucks over MSRP. The salesman did not volunteer a test drive and was snotty so I went back down into downtown and stopped into the showroom of BMW of San Diego located in an old, obsolete multi-story building. The chubby salesman was seated at a large metal desk on the edge of the showroom floor with a white longsleeved shirt and tie loosened at the unbuttoned collar. He had both feet up on the desk and was reading the Tribune or Union and glanced my way when I walked through the front door. I asked him if he had any 2002's I could look at and without moving any muscles except his mouth, told me that there were two demo's in the lot across the street and the keys were in both of them. I asked if I could take a test drive including the Freeway and he told me that I could drive to LA if I wanted. Damn. So I went across the street and there were two of them. A dark blue one with black interior and no roof and a British Racing Green one with tan interior and a sunroof. I took the green one and came back about three hours later after picking up one of my friends at our apartment up on the Mesa and taking him on a beserker driver after which he told me that I absolutely had to buy the car. Which I did that day. It was $3,800 which was slightly under MSRP because it was a demo with 800 miles on it. In retrospect, I think I made the right choice although the 240Z with its inline 6 was a bit faster. But the BMW had a good bit more room and after I got done beefing up the suspension, could stay with any Z car or Porsche of the era though corners.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:13 pm