The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Words that should have the spelling changed

FamousDavis
    Admin

Words that should have the spelling changed

Post  FamousDavis on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm going to write a letter to the federal office of spelling and ask them to change the spelling of a few words. It flat out doesn't make sense that we spell these words this way. I'm talking phrases too:

"used to". This is just stupid. Example: I used to play a lot of golf. To me that just doesn't look right. I'd like to see the spelling changed to "youst to".

That's the only one I can think of right now.
    Horseballs

Re: Words that should have the spelling changed

Post  Horseballs on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:42 pm

I agree with the black community that "asked" should be changed to "axed." It's really hard to say the word phonetically, and I'm a cracker.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Horseballs wrote:I agree with the black community that "asked" should be changed to "axed."  It's really hard to say the word phonetically, and I'm a cracker.  

I'm offended by your post. Please use the term "saltine" from now on.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:25 am

Wouldn't a proper name like "Keebler" be better than "saltine"? Like the blacks and chicanos call white folk "Chuck" and "Holmes"? Hi there, minority dude. I'm Chuck Keebler at your service.
    BBQpig

Post  BBQpig on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:39 am

Life's to short to marry a gal named Morticia.

Canadians call there electric " hydro " makes no sense.

What's up with Hawaiian people, aloha for hello, and goodbye. Which is it?

Another pet peeve is people call there electric, or gas golf cars, golf carts. A cart is the thing you pull, or push. The thing you ride in, is a golf car.

Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:40 am

It makes sense to the Canadians since most of their electricity is generated by dams. Using the same logic, the French should call their electricity "nuclear" since most of theirs is generated by nuclear reactors.

As for the Hawaians and their "aloha", that word comes from the language of the pure natives who were and are a simple clan of hunter-gatherers (with the emphasis on the latter) who would be just a notch or two up the socio-evolutionary ladder from the Tasadays were it not for World War II. Now most of what are called "Hawaians" are a mongrelized mixture of natives, Chinese, Malays, Filipinos, Japanese, South Sea Islanders, black Africans, Mexicans, and maybe some Mongol thrown in just for a few high foreheads. So the "aloha" thing is just a marketing gizmo targeted at tourists from the mainlands of the world like Disney's mouse ears and McDonald's golden arches. I mean how much gravitas could such a primitive society carry when its main musical instrument is a tiny hollow wooden box with four nylon strings that I wouldn't even give to a five year old let alone some ancient perv like Tiny Tim.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Wy cant we jest spel werds foneticly?

Also, I hav plased a prohibishon on werds with mor than thre silables.  Wate, damit...
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:41 pm

I think the word 'lisp' needs to be changed to something completely different. The poor bastards that suffer from this affliction can't even say it. Maybe that's by design, but I think it's cruel. It would be like having to jump up and down to say the word 'cripple.'
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:21 pm

How about "mince"? Although when they say it, it will probably come out as "minth".
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:33 pm

I also think that should change "left" and "right". I always get them mixed up. If they'd switch them I'd never get confused.

Also, why do they have to call highways different names? Freeways, Interstates, Causeways, Tollways, and Routes. I don't get it. Help 
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:51 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I also think that should change "left" and "right".   I always get them mixed up.   If they'd switch them I'd never get confused.  

Also, why do they have to call highways different names?   Freeways, Interstates, Causeways, Tollways, and Routes.    I don't get it.  Help 

Driving on the right during my trip to the US last year was tough having spent a lifetime driving on the left. However my wife who was navigating didn't help much by getting her left and right mixed up. I said "What's the problem? Just cos I'm driving on the right here in America left & right is still the same as NZ!"
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Homie, I would go with "speech issue" just for ithe entertainment value.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Horseballs wrote:I agree with the black community that "asked" should be changed to "axed."  It's really hard to say the word phonetically, and I'm a cracker.  

In that vein, then the black community probably wouldn't mind changing the spelling of "task" to "tax" and "tasked" to "taxed". Because giving one of them a "task" is really giving them some of our "tax" and they usually are not "taxed" because they say they have not been "tasked".
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:19 pm

The African American community is making a valiant effort to revitalize Jim Crow by giving their kids names like "Trayvon."

If one were to playing a drinking game every time a ridiculous ebonic given name is mentioned in an NBA or NFL game, nobody would survive the first quarter.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:55 pm

as we say in these here parts, "fuggedabowit!"
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:55 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:The African American community is making a valiant effort to revitalize Jim Crow by giving their kids names like "Trayvon."

If one were to playing a drinking game every time a ridiculous ebonic given name is mentioned in an NBA or NFL game, nobody would survive the first quarter.
    Many Caucasians laugh and ridicule the names their ignorant parents (more likely parent singular) bestowed on the unfortunates but in my opinion, it is a phenomenon that has kept a large percentage of the younger black population chained to the plantation. I remember years ago driving through the slums of the western section of the city of Baltimore and saw next to me while we were stopped at a red light, a young African American male in a recent Audi sedan that had a stripe along the rocker panel I could see with the letters "A-N-T-W-A-N" stenciled between the stripes. After the light greened up and he sped away, I was intrigued enough to go through the phonics of the letters and eventually figured out that the letters formed the driver's name: "Antoine". Some members of a species should probably not breed.
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:16 am

Mongrel wrote:
    trombettista_vecchio wrote:The African American community is making a valiant effort to revitalize Jim Crow by giving their kids names like "Trayvon."

Many Caucasians laugh and ridicule the names their ignorant parents (more likely parent singular) bestowed on the unfortunates but in my opinion, it is a phenomenon that has kept a large percentage of the younger black population chained to the plantation. I remember years ago driving through the slums of the western section of the city of Baltimore and saw next to me while we were stopped at a red light, a young African American male in a recent Audi sedan that had a stripe along the rocker panel I could see with the letters "A-N-T-W-A-N" stenciled between the stripes. After the light greened up and he sped away, I was intrigued enough to go through the phonics of the letters and eventually figured out that the letters formed the driver's name: "Antoine". Some members of a species should probably not breed.
    No argument from me. And even if the racial percentages are not exactly equal, I don't think of it or intend it as a racist sentiment, and you probably don't either. Stupid is just stupid.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:23 pm

All boating terms should be changed. One time I went sailing and my buddy (who's parents owned the boat) tried to get all sea worthy on us. He used words like Starboard, Aft, Port and a bunch of other sailor rigamarole. He might as well have been speaking French, which I probably would have understood better.

Why can't you just say "steer the boat to the left". Or "get your arse to the front of the boat and put up the sail".

I felt like saying "Aye, me heartees. You best set sail or I'll be doin' some keelhaulin with ya".
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:36 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:

No argument from me. And even if the racial percentages are not exactly equal, I don't think of it or intend it as a racist sentiment, and you probably don't either.  Stupid is just stupid.
    Why wouldn't parents name their children in a way that would give them the best chance of success at life? Fair or not, Robert or Michael get hired before Demetrius.

A college roomate of mine had a grade school friend named Helouise Derosis. Not that Margaret or Amy would have overcome that last name but at least it wouldn't have sounded like a disease. I suppose Scarlett would have been worse.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Last names can be a problem, too, but there's less to be done about them short of a legal name change. Of course many intake clerks at Ellis Island solved those problems in the early part of the 20th century. Some unfortunates escaped surname modification. Like the family living in the next town to mine growing up. The older child was a daughter and she was several years ahead of me in high school. Kirsten Kuhnt. No lie.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:

No argument from me. And even if the racial percentages are not exactly equal, I don't think of it or intend it as a racist sentiment, and you probably don't either.  Stupid is just stupid.
    Why wouldn't parents name their children in a way that would give them the best chance of success at life?  Fair or not, Robert or Michael get hired before Demetrius.

A college roomate of mine had a grade school friend named Helouise Derosis.  Not that Margaret or Amy would have overcome that last name but at least it wouldn't have sounded like a disease.  I suppose Scarlett would have been worse.
    One of the kids on my daughter's soccer team was named Athena, which is perfectly OK, except for the fact that her brother's name was Agamemnon. Believe me when I say that this kid was not someone that Homer would have written about.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:37 pm

I would naturally assume that their parents own and work in an establishment serving moussaka, pastitsia, souvlaki, spanakopita, etc. and that they hate the Turks.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:45 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:

Why wouldn't parents name their children in a way that would give them the best chance of success at life?  Fair or not, Robert or Michael get hired before Demetrius.

A college roomate of mine had a grade school friend named Helouise Derosis.  Not that Margaret or Amy would have overcome that last name but at least it wouldn't have sounded like a disease.  I suppose Scarlett would have been worse.
    One of the kids on my daughter's soccer team was named Athena, which is perfectly OK, except for the fact that her brother's name was Agamemnon.   Believe me when I say that this kid was not someone that Homer would have written about.  
    Talk about short-sighted. How can you tell Agamemnon to stop hitting Athena, or vice versa? How do you order Agamemnon to go to his room? When those kids get older there's no way they'll ever hang out together. And who in their right mind would hire somebody who calls himself Agamemnon?
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:

One of the kids on my daughter's soccer team was named Athena, which is perfectly OK, except for the fact that her brother's name was Agamemnon.   Believe me when I say that this kid was not someone that Homer would have written about.  
    Talk about short-sighted.  How can you tell Agamemnon to stop hitting Athena, or vice versa?  How do you order Agamemnon to go to his room?  When those kids get older there's no way they'll ever hang out together.  And who in their right mind would hire somebody who calls himself Agamemnon?
    Good point, although I can see an Agamemnon doing well in corporate buy outs. "I like your company. I think I'll take it. Achilles!!!"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:53 am