The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Fluffy
Mongrel
Lorenzzo
rooteen
FamousDavis
9 posters

What you do after addressing the ball

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

What you do after addressing the ball Empty What you do after addressing the ball

Post  FamousDavis Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:46 pm

I discovered something while warming up on the range last Friday. After addressing the ball I was moving my hands forward a bit and closing my shoulders slightly. Generally speaking, I was moving things around after addressing the ball. Ernie Els and some other players do this. Problem is, I'm not Ernie Els.

These minor adjustments were making it very difficult for me to hit the ball flush. I believe that most of these post-address adjustments are a mental defense against pulling the ball left.

I stopped making these adjustments and...Viola! I started hitting it solid again. Just something to consider.
    rooteen
    rooteen

What you do after addressing the ball Empty Re: What you do after addressing the ball

Post  rooteen Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:16 am

Good point Fd. After address i waggle the club twice whilst looking at my target, and when i'm hitting it really bad i have noticed that after the waggles i look down and the ball is sitting out on the toe of my irons. Trouble is because my routine is automatic i seldom back off or line the ball back up in the centre of the face, and its only after the shot i think why didn't i step away.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

What you do after addressing the ball Empty Re: What you do after addressing the ball

Post  Lorenzzo Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:29 am

rooteen wrote:Good point Fd. After address i waggle the club twice whilst looking at my target, and when i'm hitting it really bad i have noticed that after the waggles i look down and the ball is sitting out on the toe of my irons. Trouble is because my routine is automatic i seldom back off or line the ball back up  in the centre of the face, and its only after the shot i think why didn't i step away.

Sounds as though there'a a battle going on between your subconscious and conscious minds and in that situation the former overcomes the latter. The solution to this lies not in technique but in spiritual movement.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:44 pm

With my recently revised swing, all I do when I am set at address is take a last quick peak at the target, swivel the head back to the ball, and pull the trigger. I used to kick in my right knee just before takeaway but that move became sort of useless when the damn commie tree-huggers in power mandated a ban on metal spikes. The immediate result of which was my inability to hit my Palmer Standard blade 3 iron 230 reliably.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:04 pm

after address i normally hit the ball with the concentratration on not thinking ....
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Fluffy wrote:after address i normally hit the ball with the concentratration on not thinking ....

Isn't concentrating on not thinking, thinking?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:35 am

rooteen wrote:Good point Fd. After address i waggle the club twice whilst looking at my target, and when i'm hitting it really bad i have noticed that after the waggles i look down and the ball is sitting out on the toe of my irons. Trouble is because my routine is automatic i seldom back off or line the ball back up  in the centre of the face, and its only after the shot i think why didn't i step away.

Yes, I just waggle the club 2-3 times ... this action seems to reduce my tension then aim left and pull the trigger Laughing I do this more with driver than other clubs
    BBQpig
    BBQpig

Post  BBQpig Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:23 am

Relax my grip right before my backswing, breathe and fire away.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:41 am

If I'm setting up for a drive I'll often times point down the fairway (like Babe Ruth) and then pipe one right to that spot.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:08 pm

FamousDavis wrote:If I'm setting up for a drive I'll often times point down the fairway (like Babe Ruth) and then pipe one right to that spot.  

I aim left and shoot straight or w/ baby fades like Freddie, except I don't have his distance nor accuracy Razz disappointed 
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:08 pm

The starter at the SPCC is sometimes the old head pro. For a couple years I would settle over the ball and say, "Don, this one's for you." I would always crush one down the middle.
    Then, I started losing confidence on the tee shot on #1, so I stopped saying that. This year, I've been pretty solid off the tee, so I started saying that again.
    Normally, I'll wiggle my shoulders around until I feel they are perfectly square, then immediately take the club back.
    I like the Snedeker move where he pats the ground to initiate the backswing, but I've never tried it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content