The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Bubba Watson - loveable redneck or just a big, spoiled crybaby?

Horseballs

Re: Bubba Watson - loveable redneck or just a big, spoiled crybaby?

Post  Horseballs on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:So from your list what type of tipper are you Zo?

On my trip to the States last year we found the whole tipping thing a bit strange at first but after a while we got used to it and quite liked it. Give a great tip where you get good service and give the minimum where you get ordinary service.

A question for you guys. We did a guided trip out to the Grand Canyon. It included a helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon but that wasn't part of the tour. Our guide just bought the tickets on our behalf. The helicopter flight was several hundred dollars each so combined with the ride out there was a significant sum for two people. We tipped the tour guide the usual 18% but it didn't feel right. Some did the tour minus the helicopter ride making it significantly cheaper and accordingly the tip would be significantly lower. It felt as though we should have tipped the guide based on the cost of the tour/bus ride only and if anything the tip for the helicopter ride should go to the chopper pilot. Anyway we tipped the tour guy the full amount but it felt like we were tipping the guy far too much for services rendered. Did we do the right thing? What would you have done?

I would have tipped the guide for the tour/bus only.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:25 pm

The most important character in that scenario was the chopper pilot. I would not only have tipped him but kissed his (or her) ass after the craft safely touched down. Any chimp can drive a bus. It takes a bit more gray matter to fly a fixed wing. Them damn rotary wings are downright scary.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:26 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Dinner tipping conversations are always interesting to read on forums.  You always see guys bragging about how much they tip.  Most say 17% to 20%.   Personally, I rarely tip over 15% unless the service is better than average to excellent.  Unfortunately, it's very rare to receive excellent service.  If you ask me, 15% is just right.  Let's say you are with a group of 4 people and you spend $100 on dinner.   You probably spent no more than an hour to an hour and a half at the restaurant so right there the waiter has made $15 just from one group of customers in 1.5 hours.   Going out to dinner is expensive enough.  I'm not going to add more than 15% to my bill because of that sad song "these people live off their tips".   If you don't want to live off tips then go to college and do something other than serve food.  It's a mindless job. 

Now, if service is great then I might bump it up all the way to 20%.  Great meaning that they refill my water, get my order right and I get my food within a reasonable period of time.  I don't care if it's the cook's fault. 

If the service is horrible I'll give less than 15%.   If the waiter is outright rude I might give them nothing.   They shouldn't be a waiter and shouldn't be incentivized to stay in that profession (if you want to call it that).

You can always tell when someone has been and server for a living and someone who has not by comments like yours.  I can almost always tell when a server has f'ed up and when it's the kitchen. 

While I won't tip 20% if the service is slow, I won't hold it against my waiter if it's clear the kitchen is backed up. I do however get pissed when a waiter pays little attention and serves poorly prepared and below average food for the establishments usual standards, ie burnt, overcooked, etc.  Nothing worse than to hear your waiter say "Yeah, I didn't think that looked very good."  WTF - if it didn't look good, WTF did you serve it, stupid!

I always tip 20% to a bartender that I frequent. This is like an investment for your next drink to be on the heavy handed side.  Stiff a bartender and you're getting short poured.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Well, surprise, I worked as a waiter at Tequilla Willies for 2 years.   I know all about being a busboy and then working my way up to waiter.   I'm here to tell you that there is a reason that waiters are, well, waiters.   There are some good waiters who have pride in their jobs and consider the customer to always be right.  Most, however, are marginal at best and give about 70% effort.   Many of them take unnecessary breaks in the break room while food is ready to be delivered. 

I would only tip 20% for excellent service from a waiter.  It would have to be exceptional.  

Barteneder- of course you tip more to a bartender because you want to ensure his attention for future drinks.  That's a completely different scenario. 

I would never tip a tour guide.  Most tour guides are liberal tree huggers who still live at home.  I pay a fee to go on the tour.  Why should I pay extra to the dork in hiking boots and green shorts? 

Oh, and some other things about waiters:  Most of them smoke and drink too much.   There's a reason they want to work at night.  Think about it. 

Since I've been a waiter and know what kind of tips myself as well as the other top waiters received, I can honestly tell you that 20% tips occur maybe 1% of the time.  I felt lucky if a customer would leave me 15%.   Most people are cheapskates and leave about 10%.  Gypsies are the worst.  They steal all the silverware, salt & pepper shakers and leave zero tip. 

I tip waiters, bartenders, baggage handlers, taxi drivers and my barber.   I'll be damned if I'm going to tip some lousy tour guide.  Also, what's the deal with giving big year-end tips to the garbage man.   Every year I give my garbage man a bottle of champagne but I feel like if I don't he's gonna miss a few pick ups.  That fat arse never gets out of the truck all day.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:08 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Well, surprise, I worked as a waiter at Tequilla Willies for 2 years.   I know all about being a busboy and then working my way up to waiter.   I'm here to tell you that there is a reason that waiters are, well, waiters.   There are some good waiters who have pride in their jobs and consider the customer to always be right.  Most, however, are marginal at best and give about 70% effort.   Many of them take unnecessary breaks in the break room while food is ready to be delivered. 

I would only tip 20% for excellent service from a waiter.  It would have to be exceptional.  

Barteneder- of course you tip more to a bartender because you want to ensure his attention for future drinks.  That's a completely different scenario. 

I would never tip a tour guide.  Most tour guides are liberal tree huggers who still live at home.  I pay a fee to go on the tour.  Why should I pay extra to the dork in hiking boots and green shorts? 

Oh, and some other things about waiters:  Most of them smoke and drink too much.   There's a reason they want to work at night.  Think about it. 

Since I've been a waiter and know what kind of tips myself as well as the other top waiters received, I can honestly tell you that 20% tips occur maybe 1% of the time.  I felt lucky if a customer would leave me 15%.   Most people are cheapskates and leave about 10%.  Gypsies are the worst.  They steal all the silverware, salt & pepper shakers and leave zero tip. 

I tip waiters, bartenders, baggage handlers, taxi drivers and my barber.   I'll be damned if I'm going to tip some lousy tour guide.  Also, what's the deal with giving big year-end tips to the garbage man.   Every year I give my garbage man a bottle of champagne but I feel like if I don't he's gonna miss a few pick ups.  That fat arse never gets out of the truck all day.
    Mr. Pink,

I agree, any place called Willies, Denny's, Ihop, McDonald's etc. isn't a good place to make tips.  But then I don't frequent those places because they are all chuck-out junk food from Food Service Corp, Sesco, etc.  So, with that, I take it back, you're probably right tipping 10%-15%. 

Since you've worked serving, why on earth would you punish a server for a kitchen that is behind and or slow.  If he's being attentive, getting you beverages, etc. he's done his job.  Tip him but punish the restaurant by not coming back. It makes no sense. If he's busy, I can see tipping on the low end of the scale. He'll make good money because of the amount of tables that are turned. 

When I go to a restaurant that prepares food from scratch and has trained professionals serving me food, giving advice on food and wine, etc. I tip between 15% and 20% depending on the amount of alcohol I consume.. But then I live in one of those liberal states that pays one standard minimum wage, almost $9/hr, plus tip. Many places provide health benefits as well. Serving is a good job and it attracts old people with good service skills.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Great story. I assume you meant "sub 4:50" instead of "sub 6:50" as the latter would get you caught by the chubbiest donut-munching flatfoot in the Borough.
    Sub 6.0 seconds in the 50 is fast, no?

Meters or yards?  NFL always measures the 40yd dash in the combine.  Unless you meant 4:50 in the mile, which is excellent in its discipline, though not really a measure of top speed.  Face it, most people could keep up that pace for some distance.  If you meant a 6:50 mile, well that's just not too impressive.  Sure, it's not bad for a 40 something accountant to break a 7 minute mile, but an NFL LB wouldn't be bragging about that time.  And running a 5K at a 7 min/mile pace isn't going to get you under 20 minutes for the race.
    Both.

Pretty good in both, I'd assume.  Just doing the math, a 6 second 50 yard dash is a 4.8 second 40 yard dash, which is just OK for a LB.  A 6 second 50 meter dash equates to a 4.4 second 40 yard dash, which is elite for a WR or CB.  Granted, I don't think you can just assume that adding 10 yards would increase the time in a predictable manner.  The start/acceleration to full speed only takes place once in both distances.  That said, a 6.0 sec 50 yard dash is not terribly impressive.  A 6.0 sec 50 meter dash is impressive.  Clear?
    Here are the world records. 

50 yards:    5.22

50 meters:      5.56

Let me be more specific then.  When I originally said "I think he ran a sub 6 50", please delete that and insert  "I think he ran something like a 5.6 in the 50 meters and a 5.9 in the 50 yard dash, although I'm just throwing out numbers, my point really is he was really fast.  I might have said fast as a greyhound, or fast as a cheetah and perhaps I should have as the lack of numbers might not fire up your inner bean counter."

Still confusing, because a 5.6 in the 50 meters is world class, but a 5.9 in the 50 yards is pedestrian.  Was this guy fast or slow?  I don't see how it's relevant either way.  An NFL LB is going to be a straight badass, regardless of his poor showing in the 50 yd dash.  But seriously, no one runs the 50 yard dash.  I remember running it in the 5th grade, but can't remember my time.  Doubt I was sub 6.
    That time I purposely confused you by flipping around the times.   My point about the speed was I wouldn't have been able to out run him to get to the chef's knives.  And yards is for you Yanks who can't even discuss the metric conversion at this point.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:So from your list what type of tipper are you Zo?

On my trip to the States last year we found the whole tipping thing a bit strange at first but after a while we got used to it and quite liked it. Give a great tip where you get good service and give the minimum where you get ordinary service.

A question for you guys. We did a guided trip out to the Grand Canyon. It included a helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon but that wasn't part of the tour. Our guide just bought the tickets on our behalf. The helicopter flight was several hundred dollars each so combined with the ride out there was a significant sum for two people. We tipped the tour guide the usual 18% but it didn't feel right. Some did the tour minus the helicopter ride making it significantly cheaper and accordingly the tip would be significantly lower. It felt as though we should have tipped the guide based on the cost of the tour/bus ride only and if anything the tip for the helicopter ride should go to the chopper pilot. Anyway we tipped the tour guy the full amount but it felt like we were tipping the guy far too much for services rendered. Did we do the right thing? What would you have done?
    I'm fearless, I tip from nothing to 30%.  Either way, look him/her right in the eye.  If I feel the waiter was a true detraction aside from just bad, he's getting deducted from 15% based on horribleness down to nothing.  In my local bar here I'll give 25-30%.  On a $50 bill the extra is around $5.  Well worth it to be treated as though they can't wait to see me, toss free wine pours and appetizers my way, overpour my drinks, introduce me to the ladies and whoever else wanders in, provide good referrals as well as contacting them to tell them to go beyond for me (i.e. contractors, snow removers, plumbers, etc.) and show warmth and interest to my out of town guests. 

If it's LA and not PC, f.uck 'em 10%.  No, kidding, usually 15-20% subject to deductions for being a detraction.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 pm

Ok it sounds like we overpaid that tour guide. Here's the scenario. The guided tour from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon is say $120. The helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon is optional and is provided by a totally separate company. All our tour guide does is book the tickets for us. So we opt to do the helicopter ride and pay him $300 total.

So my question is do I tip the guy on $120 = say $25

or base the tip on $300 = say $60

We were feeling generous, he was a great host and did a good job so we gave him approx 20% rounded to the nearest convenient figure. We tipped him based on the $300 figure but felt that we were forking over a huge tip for what was already an expensive day out. Based on Horseballs response we did pay too much but nevermind.

At the end of the day I thanked him for everything and he said "If all my customers were like you my job would be so easy."

No wonder he said that LOL! And here I was thinking it was just because I was such a great guy. Smile
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:02 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Great story. I assume you meant "sub 4:50" instead of "sub 6:50" as the latter would get you caught by the chubbiest donut-munching flatfoot in the Borough.

Meters or yards?  NFL always measures the 40yd dash in the combine.  Unless you meant 4:50 in the mile, which is excellent in its discipline, though not really a measure of top speed.  Face it, most people could keep up that pace for some distance.  If you meant a 6:50 mile, well that's just not too impressive.  Sure, it's not bad for a 40 something accountant to break a 7 minute mile, but an NFL LB wouldn't be bragging about that time.  And running a 5K at a 7 min/mile pace isn't going to get you under 20 minutes for the race.
    Both.

Pretty good in both, I'd assume.  Just doing the math, a 6 second 50 yard dash is a 4.8 second 40 yard dash, which is just OK for a LB.  A 6 second 50 meter dash equates to a 4.4 second 40 yard dash, which is elite for a WR or CB.  Granted, I don't think you can just assume that adding 10 yards would increase the time in a predictable manner.  The start/acceleration to full speed only takes place once in both distances.  That said, a 6.0 sec 50 yard dash is not terribly impressive.  A 6.0 sec 50 meter dash is impressive.  Clear?

Let me be more specific then.  When I originally said "I think he ran a sub 6 50", please delete that and insert  "I think he ran something like a 5.6 in the 50 meters and a 5.9 in the 50 yard dash, although I'm just throwing out numbers, my point really is he was really fast.  I might have said fast as a greyhound, or fast as a cheetah and perhaps I should have as the lack of numbers might not fire up your inner bean counter."

Still confusing, because a 5.6 in the 50 meters is world class, but a 5.9 in the 50 yards is pedestrian.  Was this guy fast or slow?  I don't see how it's relevant either way.  An NFL LB is going to be a straight badass, regardless of his poor showing in the 50 yd dash.  But seriously, no one runs the 50 yard dash.  I remember running it in the 5th grade, but can't remember my time.  Doubt I was sub 6.
    That time I purposely confused you by flipping around the times.   My point about the speed was I wouldn't have been able to out run him to get to the chef's knives.  And yards is for you Yanks who can't even discuss the metric conversion at this point.

I'm still very confused. I feel like I am playing checkers to your chess. I guess I'm learning the hard way that I am not a fearless confident man.
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:13 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

Both.

I'm still very confused.  I feel like I am playing checkers to your chess.  I guess I'm learning the hard way that I am not a fearless confident man.  

I'm very confused too. I'm confused as to why the quote tool seems to continuously change.

I can remember my old grand papa saying to me (picture an old, white-haired man with suspenders as I channel him here) "Lorenzo, it's a predator's world. You'll have to decide which you'll be, the predator or the prey. If you be the prey, you spend your life running and avoiding. If you the predator, you will at times suffer too but your threats will be in front of you where you can test yourself and see where you belong in this world. You may like where you end up. Running, avoiding, and you will likely not."

I carry those words with me wherever I go, morning and night, every day.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:19 am

Every time I walk past some mouth-breather on the streets with his or her eyes glued to some electronic device held reverently in the palm of the hand I am reminded of the eternal law of the wild: "That which keeps its head down gets eaten."
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Mongrel wrote:Every time I walk past some mouth-breather on the streets with his or her eyes glued to some electronic device held reverently in the palm of the hand I am reminded of the eternal law of the wild: "That which keeps its head down gets eaten."

You must be reminded of that a lot then.
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Every time I walk past some mouth-breather on the streets with his or her eyes glued to some electronic device held reverently in the palm of the hand I am reminded of the eternal law of the wild: "That which keeps its head down gets eaten."

Seriously. What can possibly be so damn interesting on these phones? Every time there is a shot of the crowd at a big sporting event, half the crowd in looking at a phone.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

Seriously.  What can possibly be so damn interesting on these phones?  Every time there is a shot of the crowd at a big sporting event, half the crowd in looking at a phone.  

Reading the latest posts on Caddyshack?
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:

You could say that and it would be accurate. However, I do not own one myself. My wife has one but only looks at it when she is sitting down and standing still out of the traffic lanes. She only looks at it when some critter posts on her FaceBook page. She made up one for me when it first came out but I have only ever posted on it once. Whenever a new one asks to be my "friend", she will get on to mine and let them in. And I get these emails every day from FaceBook about some or other that has "updated a status" or "taken the piss" or whatever the FB dance steps are called. I could care less but I feel bad that the few people who knew me some years ago think I'm snubbing them by not cavorting with clever little updates every 15 hours or so. The only thing worse than FaceBook is Twitter.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Mongrel wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

You could say that and it would be accurate. However, I do not own one myself. My wife has one but only looks at it when she is sitting down and standing still out of the traffic lanes. She only looks at it when some critter posts on her FaceBook page. She made up one for me when it first came out but I have only ever posted on it once. Whenever a new one asks to be my "friend", she will get on to mine and let them in. And I get these emails every day from FaceBook about some or other that has "updated a status" or "taken the piss" or whatever the FB dance steps are called. I could care less but I feel bad that the few people who knew me some years ago think I'm snubbing them by not cavorting with clever little updates every 15 hours or so. The only thing worse than FaceBook is Twitter.

LOL if I ever try to give my wife a hard time about Facebook/Twitter she just reminds me of GR/Caddyshack.
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:LOL if I ever try to give my wife a hard time about Facebook/Twitter she just reminds me of GR/Caddyshack.

@FreakOfNatureGR No doubt. Twitter is probably perfect for you, considering anything over 140 characters is just a wall of text to you. Razz

#MemoryOfAnElephant #AttentionSpanOfABumblebee

All kidding aside, I don't get peoples' requirement to be socially connected 24/7 the way some people are. I'm the kind of person who needs to unplug for extended periods of time, because people in general irritate me. I need my own time and my own space to do with as I please, and I need lots of it. If I'm out in my kayak a couple hours away from civilization, it's because I don't want to be disturbed. I'll take the phone, but it'll be turned off to conserve battery power in the event of an emergency. I go off-radar a lot, these days it's pretty much the only way to feel as if you have any real freedom. If you don't unplug once in awhile, you WILL be contacted by someone looking to appropriate your free time. I have a very low threshold of tolerance for that sort of lifestyle, probably because I grew up in a time where that sort of freedom wasn't a matter of choice - it was just the way it was before the technology existed. I know many of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I appreciate having the option to be connected to the www.hive.mind, but I equally value my ability to unplug from it as I see fit.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:14 am

FreakOfNature wrote:

@FreakOfNatureGR No doubt. Twitter is probably perfect for you, considering anything over 140 characters is just a wall of text to you. Razz

#MemoryOfAnElephant #AttentionSpanOfABumblebee

All kidding aside, I don't get peoples' requirement to be socially connected 24/7 the way some people are. I'm the kind of person who needs to unplug for extended periods of time, because people in general irritate me. I need my own time and my own space to do with as I please, and I need lots of it. If I'm out in my kayak a couple hours away from civilization, it's because I don't want to be disturbed. I'll take the phone, but it'll be turned off to conserve battery power in the event of an emergency. I go off-radar a lot, these days it's pretty much the only way to feel as if you have any real freedom. If you don't unplug once in awhile, you WILL be contacted by someone looking to appropriate your free time. I have a very low threshold of tolerance for that sort of lifestyle, probably because I grew up in a time where that sort of freedom wasn't a matter of choice - it was just the way it was before the technology existed. I know many of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I appreciate having the option to be connected to the www.hive.mind, but I equally value my ability to unplug from it as I see fit.

Nothing wrong with my attention span. I just don't enjoy long winded sermons from the pulpit! Sleep

Agree about getting away from it all. I took up mountin biking this summer and some of the trails I ride are fairly isolated and a long way from help so carrying a phone is essential for safety in case of a mishap. I downloaded a GPS app to track my rides but it totally chews up the battery so I don't use that on long rides. Not much use having a phone if the battery is dead when it is needed. affraid
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:26 am

If one doesn't get away to the wilderness from time to time, they become disconnected from the planet, absorbed fully by man made things. Walking, swimming, biking amongst the forests and animals reconnects them to where they are and where they are from. Human isolation is greater in cities than in the wild.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:16 am