The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

My New Hogans

californiataxes

My New Hogans

Post  californiataxes on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:29 pm

The other day on Ebay I saw an auction for a set of 1970 Hogan Bounce Sole 1+ irons, 3-E, Apex 4, starting at $14.95.  I've always been a sucker for green lettering, so I bid, and I won the them at $51.00.  Man, they look great, but something weird's going on.  I've never had any trouble hitting a blade straight, and my current irons, VIP Limited w/S300, never veer left or right more than a yard, but I have to wrestle these Hogans to avoid a pronounced, distance- losing fade.  I was surprised to see that they have a good bit of offset, and I wonder if this is the reason.  I may be donating these to the local JC team.
    Mongrel

Re: My New Hogans

Post  Mongrel on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Have you checked the lies? Overly flat lies will cause the rights.
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Your talk of the Hogan's makes me think of some of the forged Hogan's I've hit in teh past, I really wish Callaway didn't scrap Hogan when they bought them, would have been great to keep the name alive and make modern musclebacks and forged cavity backs for the better players.  Personally I think it was a mistake but whatever.  I never hit a Hogan players Iron that I didn't like....

californiataxes

Post  californiataxes on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Mongrel wrote:Have you checked the lies? Overly flat lies will cause the rights.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have them checked.
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:58 pm

I know that upright lies always gave me the "lefts" so I'm sure mongrel is right.

Hogan blades had the reputation of having a so-called sweet spot the diameter of a pencil's eraser--especially the PC (percussion center, not politically correct)models.  The channel, not cavity, backed Directors were a friendly enough design for the recreational player, however. I've a set of those somewhere.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 pm