The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
jt1135
jmtbkr
Mongrel
trombettista_vecchio
8 posters

New Car Thread

trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

New Car Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New Car Thread

Post  trombettista_vecchio Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:50 pm

corythepagan wrote:Nifty is an old name for the old Italian trumpet player, right?  Isn't he from the northeast too? That's what I infer browsing past posts. Maybe we're literally close. 
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

A word to the wise, Cory:  my close friend Lorenzo is a big believer in schizophrenia being as ubiquitous as the common cold.  For example, he's always trying to pass me off as a multiple personality disorder type. On a previuos forum, where it was he who was actually two posters in one immigrant dago, he kept insisting that I was my late brother.  Now, as an admirer of your automotive knowledge, I'm flattered to see that he suspects I am you.

When Lorenzo (actually with one Z) is not trying to deploy his correspondence school psychiatry diploma, however, he can be a very interesting guy. He's got a good golf game, and his penis is a full-fledged celebrity on these pages.  Even though I'd like to kill him, for the most part, he's an interesting internet correspondent.  Don't let him get under your skin and you'll find the same.

I've seen Watts Racing right on Route 1.  I'm not familiar with the body shop you mentioned, though.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:01 pm

I may have to call bull shit on nifty.
    Anyone worth there salt in the race engine industry would know who made those intakes to make a Cleveland head work on a Windsor, and why they were made.
    I know.

Not to mention they make new hemi replacement blocks and heads, no reason to get nervous. Engine builders never get nervous by the way, they just wait for the next job, with anticipation.

Quick engine builder whats the cubic inches of a 4.500 stroke with a 4.560 bore?
    Any idea how you check compression ratio? Correctly. I've straightened a few out on this. 
    What effect does a shorter compression height have?
    What's optimum rod to stroke ratio?
    When doing port work on heads, what's the most important area?
    I can go on.
    corythepagan
    corythepagan

Post  corythepagan Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:14 pm

First Bush Performance , then B&A Ford, and now Edelbrock makes the intake manifolds.
    588 is the displacement of your engine.
    Nostalgia classes don’t allow new blocks.
    Checking for compression,  the engine should be at operating temperature, the fuel and ignition should be disabled, all the plugs should be out, and the throttle should be wide open.

But wait a minute.... why am I taking your quiz?

Build an engine for a Ridler Award winner and then give me your quiz.

Geesh, what a grouch. Try to find a friendly forum these days. And I am assuming that you're calling bullshit on me and not "Nifty," whom I'll continue to assume is trombettista_vecchio until told otherwise..

Last edited by corythepagan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:50 pm

I didn't think you would get it. You got the cubic inches correct though. 
    You failed on compression ratio.
    The other questions come from experience.
    corythepagan
    corythepagan

Post  corythepagan Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:15 pm

I didn't fail at anything. 
    As I said. build something that matters and then quiz me.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:40 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:
    corythepagan wrote:Nifty is an old name for the old Italian trumpet player, right?  Isn't he from the northeast too? That's what I infer browsing past posts. Maybe we're literally close. 
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

A word to the wise, Cory:  my close friend Lorenzo is a big believer in schizophrenia being as ubiquitous as the common cold.  For example, he's always trying to pass me off as a multiple personality disorder type. On a previuos forum, where it was he who was actually two posters in one immigrant dago, he kept insisting that I was my late brother.  Now, as an admirer of your automotive knowledge, I'm flattered to see that he suspects I am you.

When Lorenzo (actually with one Z) is not trying to deploy his correspondence school psychiatry diploma, however, he can be a very interesting guy. He's got a good golf game, and his penis is a full-fledged celebrity on these pages.  Even though I'd like to kill him, for the most part, he's an interesting internet correspondent.  Don't let him get under your skin and you'll find the same.

I've seen Watts Racing right on Route 1.  I'm not familiar with the body shop you mentioned, though.

=======================================================================

Lorenzzo wrote:

Let me offer a couple of things here:

Use of the word always is like a red flag indicating a distorted point of view.

The bolded excerpt shows a very signicant departure from reality.  That's as much as I'll say, I'm not licensed in MA.

The rest of your post is fine.

trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm always appreciative of your comments, Lorenzo.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:25 pm

All that matters is what makes you happy, or your customer. I've always been a kind of straight line performance kind of guy. I've had my hand in building many a street or race car, from super stock, to quick 16 cars, which are seriously hard hitters, one I helped with cut a 1.02 sixty foot record that held for 3 years. Others reset some records in super stock, another won 24 out of 25 features in its class, a dirter. A plastic surgeon I helped get his GTX in the 9s, good luck with your supposed ridler builds. Sounds purdy.
    I didn't mention every year I raced on a regular basis, I was paid by the track owners for showing up. So I must have done something right. 
    I just smell bs sometimes, and I'm calling you out. 

New Car Thread - Page 2 D19EB860-56CB-4A9F-BA8E-0079525B7C5C-310-0000004BE683422E_zps562c03ba
    New Car Thread - Page 2 018E8F61-3FD1-4450-9E71-2A19151F63C4-310-0000004C027703A8_zpsb23f9a5b
    New Car Thread - Page 2 03FAEF35-814F-4520-955E-5896216698D7-310-0000004C2CA7A72F_zpsc99b32ac
    New Car Thread - Page 2 8E6AEF83-B2EB-497D-83A2-1A9F3D9F72DD-310-0000004C4148F01D_zpsd448d72e
    I got it just about ready for some new paint, Super blue baby, I just wrapped up a rear disc brake setup, and fuel cell install.
    Another dead giveaway is the flanges I made for the headers to work, I may grind a number off the intake, so as not to tip off stupid fuks. This is my mild mannered engine, a very underrated 340, the microwave on high is for later, probably next season when I have some passes under my belt. The car ran 10s before on the motor. Low 10s on a single shot 100 hp nitrous system, that's adjustable to 300hp. 
    I'm shooting for low 10s on the motor 9s on the spray. And I drive it on the street, sometimes to the track.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:08 am

I don't know if this will smell like bs, 12, but I used to build and race cars too.  The cars I built were exclusively made out of wood and had no engine but relied solely on gravity.  So there was a premium on reducing friction as much as possible.  The first year I lost in the first heat but after learning the finer points of cheating I did way better the next year. 

After that my son grew out of the Pinewood Derby so my race car building days ended.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:54 am

Ah the art of cheating. It's a necessary element for success, unfortunately you don't need to get caught, that's the tricky part.
    The guys I help build a smallblock Chevy for there dirt track junker, I think the class was called fast street, lots of rules, we bent them all, that motor got protested and tore down a dozen times.
    They never caught anything significant, twice a screw got dropped down the carburetor, and destroyed a piston, and valves. Sore losers. I soon began to hate roundy rounders.
    They were some southern inbreds good ol boys, I had to watch what I said around them. I would deliver there engine, and usually get screwed into installing it for them. They did win 24 races that season out of 25 starts.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:49 am

Here's a question for Cory or 12.

My late uncle's 1975 Lincoln Continental Town Car is covered with a tarpaulin in a Dover, NH barn.  I confess to liking this car a great deal--land yachts are my thing.

If we were to undertake a huge project to bring this behemoth to life, there probably isn't much aftermarket support for heavy 385 series FomoCo engines.
    (Roush and Jon Kaase do good things with it, but they're a lot more expensive than Ford Performance.)

Would the tall deck Windsor 427 crate engine, fitted with F.A.S.T. or MassFlo multiport,  be torquey enough to reasonably propel the massive Lincoln?

As for roundy-rounds, how is drag racing any less redneck?  Neither one is particularly regal. Road race courses are the thing.  Bring a picnic basket and champagne.

One other question for 12.  I see that your Mopar cylinder heads are painted.  Are you actually running iron heads?

Last edited by trombettista_vecchio on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:23 pm

This probably belongs in the Slopes thread but I'm really knowledgeable about tuning skis.  Hold on, let me save myself a few posts here, I'm really, really knowledgeable.  It started because of racing.  You work like a dog to get faster when the reality is the tune on the skis is almost as important.

So, to let everyone know, I plan on adding posts on tuning to the Slopes thread.  I'm not going to do it now, it doesn't make sense in the summer when there's no snow.   But since we're now only 6 months away from it I might as well give a shout out.

By the way, don't expect fancy belt grinders and beveling vices.  No, I do it the old fashioned way with a flat file and masking tape.  It's the only legitimate way, you think the Team doesn't flat file?

When I'm done tuning a pair of skis, they must be sleeved because otherwise they're too dangerous to be around.  It's not about the blood although blood happens.  I'm considering painting my vice.  That blue would work really well, it's a cold color and skis like cold.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:32 pm

I have zero interest in cars.  I want something that's reasonably nice that gets me to work and the golf course and can easily carry my clubs in the trunk.  I have an Acura TL with about 90,000 on it.   My folks may be doing the one car deal so they may be selling me their 2008 Honda Accord EX V6 with 60,000 miles on it for a song.  I'll probably get it for around $5,000.  That's a steal of a deal.  If you know anything about Hondas, they have the highest resale of any car.  I figure I can put another 60,000 on it before I'm ready for another car and in the meantime I can sell the TL for around $15,000. 

I've always liked the '66 Mustang and the '68 to '70 Chevy Camaro. 

Word
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:13 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:Here's a question for Cory or 12.

My late uncle's 1975 Lincoln Continental Town Car is covered with a tarpaulin in a Dover, NH barn.  I confess to liking this car a great deal--land yachts are my thing.

If we were to undertake a huge project to bring this behemoth to life, there probably isn't much aftermarket support for heavy 385 series FomoCo engines.
    (Roush and Jon Kaase do good things with it, but they're a lot more expensive than Ford Performance.)

Would the tall deck Windsor 427 crate engine, fitted with F.A.S.T. or MassFlo multiport,  be torquey enough to reasonably propel the massive Lincoln?

As for roundy-rounds, how is drag racing any less redneck?  Neither one is particularly regal. Road race courses are the thing.  Bring a picnic basket and champagne.

One other question for 12.  I see that your Mopar cylinder heads are painted.  Are you actually running iron heads?
    -/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
    Ok I don't no shit about 427 crate engines from ford. But the stroke is very long in relationship to the bore. So torque is I imagine high, and fairly flat. Of course the cylinder heads, cam are all factors. 
    That car came with a 460 I think. I would be more inclined to work with it, but that's me. Plenty good baseline, and I would think a EFI setup would be available, especially since there were some later models with EFI, in trucks I believe. 
    Out of curiosity what does a 427 crate engine run price wise, I can't imagine them being cheap.

The cylinder heads on the 340 in my Dart are W2 mopar performance pieces, that I did quite a bit of port work, and a ton of chamber work, with 2.08 1.6 valves, iron heads, roller everything. Around 11 to 1 compression. It idles around 800-900 rpm and sounds amazing. I've hid the electronics, msd 7al-2, 2 coils, high gear retard for the timing, it's in the glovebox.
    This engine has cross drilled crank, o ringed block, superstock oil pan, the steering goes through the oil pan, 2 inch under chassis hooker super comp headers one tube on each side has to go through the inner fender. It's a 10 inch tire car, with M&H racemasters on it, but I've toyed with BF  Goodrich drag radials in 275/60r15.
    The other engine I built some years ago, and have never run yet. It's aluminum headed W5 way more head, I beefed the block, and improved oiling, studded everything, custom BRC pistons, Eagle rods, 380 ci. 
    The car runs superstock springs, and puts on quite a show, as it pulls big wheelies. Hence the reason they pay me to show up.
    I saw a picture a guy took with 3 wheels off the ground. I should have got a copy.
    I have focused on making the car safer, this time around. I put in a real roll cage, braced the subframe, aftermarket axles, rear disc, and front disc brakes, a fuel cell, 5 point safety harnesses for both front seats, and one in the original backseat between the bars. And so much more.
    The drag race community is for the most part, show cars that go fast. They don't run into each other intentionally. They take pride in what they have built. Everyone usually gets along, I've helped people, and had to run against them in the next round.
    The roundy rounders are routinely in fist fights, or sabotaging someone's shit. They would borrow things, and we would never get it back, or have to find out who they loaned it to. They almost always owed money. There shit looked like crap. Cobbled up.
    There's good and bad in all forms of racing. 
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:36 am

FamousDavis wrote:I have zero interest in cars.  I want something that's reasonably nice that gets me to work and the golf course and can easily carry my clubs in the trunk.  I have an Acura TL with about 90,000 on it.   My folks may be doing the one car deal so they may be selling me their 2008 Honda Accord EX V6 with 60,000 miles on it for a song.  I'll probably get it for around $5,000.  That's a steal of a deal.  If you know anything about Hondas, they have the highest resale of any car.  I figure I can put another 60,000 on it before I'm ready for another car and in the meantime I can sell the TL for around $15,000. 

I've always liked the '66 Mustang and the '68 to '70 Chevy Camaro. 

Word

You are too young to remember but when the Mustangs were new from the summer of 1964 to the end of the 1966 model year, they were basically girl's cars compared to the domestic competition. As a matter of fact, in 1968 FoMoCo actually took the Mustang and gave it some fancier exterior gee-gaws and interior and laid it on the Mercury line calling it "Cougar". And we all know what those are. Meow.

I had mucho behind-the-wheel of various 1964-1969 Mustangs and the second generation were superior in my opinion due to their beefed up chassis. The excepton, of course, is the Shelby versions with their upgraded suspensions and drivetrains. Imagine that in 1966 the Hertz company outlet at LAX would rent you one of these although they were all automatics.

I also have loads of SoCal desert klicks in the earliest Camaros. They were a bit badder-assed than the Mustangs, especially with the 350 motors. Muy favorite Camaro of all time was the 1970 1/2 silver one owned by a full-blooded Indian (Cochise, not curry) girlfriend of a friend of ours. Hers had a Corvette 350 motor--"LT-1" or something like that--that was a bit built and had side exhausts that exited just in front of the rear wheels. The suspension was very taught and it rode on extra wide wheels that effectively lowered the car to the point where it would corner better than a stock Porsche 911. The four speed gearbox had close ratios and I remember the night we were coming back from some concert at the San Diego Sports Arena. There were four of us in that Camaro with her driving and she hit a freeway on-ramp, dropped into first gear and ran it to redline in all four gears. By the time we merged the speedo was around 130. The sounds and the vibrations were even better than the musicians' at the concert.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 am

12pierogi wrote:
    trombettista_vecchio wrote:
    Out of curiosity what does a 427 crate engine run price wise, I can't imagine them being cheap.

With cast iron block, an X427 costs $8650 without intake.

With aluminum block, a Z427 costs $13295 without intake, plus the expense of replacing the solid roller cam with a streetable hydraulic, plus the 11.5:1 may be a bit too much for pump gas, plus the Z427 has no warranty while the X427 has 2/24000.  Carburetion, of the eight stack Weber variety, is highly recommended for kit Cobras, for whatever that's worth.

These are built on Windsor tall deck blocks, not FEs, which Ford no longer builds. 

Shelby, Genesis, and C&C do make FE blocks in both iron and aluminum, but those engine platforms are not well supported on the aftermarket, similar to your 340/360 Mopars which are otherwise good engines. If they had SBC/SBF type support, you might not be running iron heads.

An iron block 460-based engine from Kaase or Roush (Ford doesn't offer crates) starts at 19,500 with simple throttle body injection included, and the ones built on C&C aluminum blocks with 8-stack Hilborn/FAST efi and Boss Nine heads are much, much more...in the mid-thrities, I believe. 

I think you pissed Cory off.  I'm guessing that nobody likes to be called a liar on somebody's gut instinct.  According to Watts Racing near where I live, he's legit. I often drive right by the place so I stopped in. They also said the X427 was plenty torquey enough with the right cam, and that Comp Cams works directly with F.A.S.T. to develop cam grinds for FAST's  XFI 2.0 system. Of course, they're chassis builders, but they know their shit.

I myself love cool cars but have no technical knowledge whatsoever.  Don't call bs on me.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 am

I've built some windsors by the way. For dirt trackers, and a couple street heroes. Corey.

There's plenty of aftermarket support for mopar, direct from factory, or tons of others, like Indy cylinder head. 
    I run iron heads on that 340, cause it makes more power with that compression ratio. Aluminum dissipates heat quickly, and usually requires a point or two more, in compression to make the power. 
    I have a Aluminum headed engine as well, that's why it has near 13 to 1 compression, the pistons were a custom order. Due to me spraying nitrous, and the heads, and chamber work.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm no engine builder, but I don't imagine that you have to re-invent the wheel to build a good street rod engine.

Buy the block prepped.

Buy a balanced rotating assembly with the right, pre-coated pistons to achieve the desired compression ratio with the size combustion chambers on the fully assembled heads that you also bought.  Get them to include the sfi rated damper and flexplate or flywheel so there's no room for screwups. Order the "upgrade" option on all bolts and bearings.

Tell whomever sells the intake setup and the short, block hugger headers exactly what heads you're using and let them come up with the right part numbers. You never know if long headers are going to fit, or leave exhaust to the chassis builder. 

Find an ECU supplier and cam grinder who work together already, like FAST and Comp Cams.  Get the pushrods, lifters, timing set, and rocker arms with the cam in a kit to avoid any thinking there.  You've already got valve springs with the assembled heads.

Get the oil pan, pickup, pump, pump pushrod, windage tray, crank scraper, and gasket all at once in a kit, making sure Canton, Milodon, or Moroso knows the stroke you're rocking and what you're dealing with in crossmembers  Also make sure it has an oil level plug built in.

Order the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and air conditioner compressor together with the serpentine drive assembly to avoid any thinking there.

This is what Cory probably does, 12. I'm guessing that he doesn't give a fuck about rod length ratio, porting, or polishing.  I'll bet that he likes to simply assemble an engine from good components and then see what it can do on the dyno.  If that's possible to do, I don't know. I'm guessing that's why I'd do.

Save the hard work for the competition engines, I would think.  And read every tech paper you can get your hands on from the factory teams.

Last edited by trombettista_vecchio on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Reading all this ultra-tech stuff about engine builds for go-fasts just boggles my mind. I'd love to have one but if I had the wherewithal, would probably just buy one that some guy had built. And most likely get it for a mere fraction of the investment to build it.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:41 am

That's the difference between us, I can throw 3-5 thousand at a 460 and make it run circles around a 14,000 dollar 427x factor aluminum tall deck ford svo whatever. Some people have these abilities.
    I have only delt with one crate engine, and it was a nightmare. They cut one corner, and nearly destroyed a 20,000 dollar engine, and spent another 4-5 to straighten out the screw ups.

I have never bought anything done, I'm a raw kind of guy. If Corey existed he could hold a conversation with me, and we could talk nuts and bolts.
    I've never known an engine builder that preferred to buy a kit, that's for the backyard heroes, and that's fine.
    But being associated with a real race engine builder for near 3 decades puts me in an area of enlightenment, I knew the guy when he was slow, broke, fast and bankrupt, loaded and stressed out. I had the keys to a multimillion dollar shop, that was the envy of all, and I had to pull away. He bought near 400 hundred apartments, then 70 semi trucks, and I was getting stressed out to.
    It was going to break up are friendship. By the way I'm going to see him next week. Where still great friends, and he bought a massive home, and built another shop on that property, and I'm going to borrow it next week and finish my w5 aluminum heads on his flow bench.
    I may have to stay at his house also, as it has multiple kitchens, on different levels of the house, he wouldn't even know I'm there.
    I'm not saying Corey doesn't exist, he's just not on this forum.

Mongrel is exactly correct, you can save an enormous amount of money and pick up something already done. Sounds like Corey has a few he needs to sell.
    corythepagan
    corythepagan

Post  corythepagan Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:08 pm

12pierogi wrote:That's the difference between us, I can throw 3-5 thousand at a 460 and make it run circles around a 14,000 dollar 427x factor aluminum tall deck ford svo whatever. Some people have these abilities.

You don't collaborate with coachwork restoring general contrators and aftermarket chassis builders on high end street rod builds, obviously.  The simplest crate engine from GM Performance, Ford Performance, Mopar Performance, or somebody like Edelbrock is all that they need.  But they like to surf the net and read the magazines and have decided what fancy components that they want.  They've got money to spend, so if their choices are compatible and technically sound, you give them exactly what they want;  Then they write checks, some in advance to order the parts, because even though you carry accounts with the suppliers,  there's nothing like money in the bank right now.

This isn't your world, 12.  You're a 1966 teenager in arrested development, which is exactly appropriate for the drag race and street race crowd. I don't mean it as an insult. It's part of the motorsports community. You have skills, perhaps.

My world was different. One week I might rebuild a methanol burning four banger for an open wheel midget racer.  We replace sleeves with the exact same bore, we don't overbore blocks like on an iron Mopar 340/360.  And we obviously don't fabricate the dry iron sleeves. We buy them from Fontana or GM or whomever, either prepped or ready to finish bore depending on the source.  

The next week, it was a fancy SBF with FAST electronic Hilborn or with Webers for a Factory Five kit Cobra.   If money were an issue, the customer would have a different hobby.  Maybe bracket drag racing.

And I'm not looking to sell anything, thank you.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Tomorrow I have one of the finest 57 Chevy Nomads in the country coming in, and I am working with the shop owner that did the restoration. In fact that's all he does is 55-57 Chevys. It's being brought in a hauler, white glove treatment and all.
    Imagine that, especially since I'm in arrested development.
    I like that phrase, fits me to a tee.
    I actually do work with chassis shops, and high end body shops that do very expensive extensive restorations. I've worked on over half the rods in this part of the country, probably more. I almost hate to go to car shows anymore, as I get mobbed by people I've done work for. I guess that's what celebrities have to deal with.
    I'm bored with this crowd, that's why we're having this conversation.
    corythepagan
    corythepagan

Post  corythepagan Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:08 pm

In my experience, the coachwork restoration specialists are primarily general contractors working with fabricators / machinists, body shops, paint shops, plating shops, interior / uphostery shops, electronics installers, etc. I would not like that. I wouldn't be good at maintaining that many relatiionships. It takes a certain skill set.

The chassis builders have lives in their hands more than either the coachwork people or the drivetrain people. I really respect them.

The engine people see a lot. One and done ideas like the 348 / 409 overhead valve flathead--that's really what it was--and warming up little modern four bangers to go in 1952 MG TDs. You're giving them 250 horsepower to replace about 70, and you hope the chassis people did their job.

I'm going to miss it, but I like relaxing a lot.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:37 pm

This is how I wrapped my day up.
    57 BelAir 283 4 barrel stick, numbers matching. 6 figure restoration.

It's an honor to work with some of these guys on these cars. Trust me

New Car Thread - Page 2 FF3F128D-5C87-4981-A5EE-989D00F5D092-725-0000015C4E4E0E22_zpsa326a025
    New Car Thread - Page 2 8DAEBA91-09D3-4470-A3ED-65C8C9076A4E-725-0000015C6086A631_zps1b7b9317
    New Car Thread - Page 2 BA4D48CA-858A-46DD-8AEA-CAA1499C7476-725-0000015C798C6E4C_zps48881501
    New Car Thread - Page 2 866A1F1F-8298-4094-B62F-9320FC1D46EC-725-0000015C96BD9787_zpsea980b1a
    New Car Thread - Page 2 24CC624A-28EE-4C51-98D7-D52EE20989F0-725-0000015CC5DB79FD_zpsaf1d46d6
    corythepagan
    corythepagan

Post  corythepagan Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:19 am

Just over a month ago, I wrote this.

"What all this is coming to is that Watts, Gautreau’s, and I have collaborated in building some of the nicest custom street machines to grace the roads of New England.  Now, in my retirement, an obscene percentage of my net worth is tied up in the six of those that comprise my personal collection.

1957 Thunderbird roadster (Dusk Rose)
    1962 Corvette roadster, “327 fuelie” (Tuxedo Black)
    1962 Corvette roadster, “aluminum block 409” (Honduras Maroon)
    1962 Lincoln Continental sedan (Primrose Yellow)
    1962 Lincoln Continetal convertible (Wimbledon White)
    1963 Corvette split window coupe, aluminum block 427 (General Sherman Blue)"

Well, Hamptom Motors just bought the whole collection. I took a good bath, needless to say, but we're moving to a Boston condo in the fall--a sudden decision-- and I had no choice.  I would never have sold the split window 63 but the Dart motor that I built myself was was a little too polite.  I built it for cruise night driving and then soon regretted not making it a little edgier than grandpa's Buick.  Now I haven't got the shop to do it.   Also, the Watts chassis geometry never seemed exactly right. Four wheel independent suspension isn't their main stock in trade, and I don't think that they quite nailed it.  

But I've got to have a C2 coupe again, and I'm already half-way home.

We took a little side trip to Illinois and came home with a beautiful new Roadster Shop pro touring rolling chassis waiting for another C2 Corvette coupe with a good body shell.

The chassis is loaded with a DeWitts radiator, Rick’s fuel tank, Baer brakes, Brodnik (Muroc 4)  17 x 8” wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235 / 45ZR17 tires, a Brodix 8B 1000 aluminum block engine (400 cid), a TCI/GM 4L65E transmission, and a 3.70:1 posi rear. I don’t like the anachronistic look of really big wheels on vintage cars. Two inches over stock is my preferred compromise.

The Brodix is pretty loaded, too.     Wiseco  4.125 x 3.75 balanced rotating assembly (10.4:1 with 64cc chambers), Canton road race oil pan, Comp Cams 230 / 230--.560 / .560 roller cam . Edelbrock CNC-185 cylinder head assemblies, F.A.S.T. / Kinsler fuel injection, and MagnaFlow custom exhaust system from exhaust ports to tailpipes, the latter requiring a body to be installed.  I want the traditional undercarriage exhaust with through the body tailpipes. I actually hate C2 Corvette side pipes.  

Mainly, though, the Brodix was built the way I should have built the Dart Machinery motor. It’s got that nasty long duration thump, albeit not like the original flat tappet Duntov which I would never tolerate today. That cam was all duration and no lift, and without electronics, produced in the fulies some lousy torque curves. Even with the cam in the Brodix, vacuum could be a problem for which I'll have to find a solution.

The C2 coupe was only made for five years, 1963-1967.  I’m not looking for a particular model year but rather the best surviving original body donor I can find.  It seems strange to some that I’m half-way home with my Corvette when I haven’t bought the Corvette yet, but coachwork restoration is all that’s left at that point.  

I want a deep burgundy finish with black leather interior.  My little touch to drive the purists insane will be the column shifter.  I used to like column-shifting automatics a lot and haven’t actually had one for a while.  I’ve never seen a Corvette with one, but Ididit can do it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm