The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

3 posters

Quail Hollow tournament

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Quail Hollow tournament Empty Quail Hollow tournament

Post  FamousDavis Mon May 06, 2013 11:37 am

Recap:

Mickelson gave the tournament away over the last 4 holes. Didn't make any putts and hit bad shots. He should have easily won that tournament.

McIlroy's game doesn't seem to be coming around. Lots of missed putts and bad short game shots. It seems like his course management has gotten worse. Does bagging Nike gear automatically create bad judgement?

I liked the guy who won all the way up to his post-round interview where he announced to the world that he was a 'born again'. I have no problem with religion as I was raised Catholic myself but I don't understand the need to announce it to the world in a sporting event. It seems to me like it's a personal matter and not something that mixes well with professional sports. I don't think people should use their victory and subsequent interview as a means to announce their religious views or try to 'carry the message'. I'm not sure what the word is for it. I don't find it offensive. It absolutely makes me not like the person who said it. Not sure why. I guess I don't like people who want to force their beliefs on you.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Quail Hollow tournament Empty Re: Quail Hollow tournament

Post  Mongrel Mon May 06, 2013 3:41 pm

I confess that I didn't watch much of this tournament on the weekend. I came home yesterday afternoon from a long session at the range and practice green since this was my first weekend in a month not playing. Amazing how the swing just disappears. Anyhoo, that Charlotte course looked just awful as did the weather. I heard one guy saying on Thursday on the Golf Channel coverage that all 18 greens were different due to the tough weather and that the day after the last roud (that would be today) they were ripping up the old bent grass and re-doing them with Bermuda. Didn't say whether it was a seed or sod job. In any event, there were a few guys who figured out the greens. Mikelsohn was one of them and I watched him hole a bunch of them. As for the kid that won, I didn't bother watching after I got home because when I went on the computer to check my email, I saw that the tournament was already over and that the network was still televising it as if it were live coverage. Shame on them.

Later on last night I did watch the end of the senior tour event in Tejas won by a Mexican whose wife and daughter were in the gallery wearing these humongousosa sombreros. It was the Fifth-o Of Mayo, of course, and the winner, Steve Toledo, told the interviewer that he won the tournament (his first on the senior tour) for "his country". At which point I said to myself "Which country?" I bet he lives up here in the USA and not in Mexico. I hope that Congress does something in its pending Immigration Bill about all the Mexicans who live here but not legally. The guy did hit some nice irons into the last few greens but really choked on some easy winning putts to take it into a playoff that lasted a couple of holes. I was routing for him to beat the gringos since I know he had a tough life growing up in Mexico but the least he could have done was to thank the USA in his post-victory interview. Ungrateful wetbacks.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed May 08, 2013 2:14 am

I think with born agains promoting it at every opportunity is part of the contract. If you dont shill the born again message you dont get into Heavan, simple as that. It would likely be hidden in the fine print, but would probably be somewhere close by to tything.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 am

Hey, if I could do nothing but practice and play golf in all the neat places on the globe where they have the tournaments and earn millions of whatever currency is paid, I would gladly give 10 per cent to whatever religious organization that empowered me with the skills to compete at the highest levels. Hell, I'd even go 15%. What's that, a "Tithe Point Five?"
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed May 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Mongrel wrote:Hey, if I could do nothing but practice and play golf in all the neat places on the globe where they have the tournaments and earn millions of whatever currency is paid, I would gladly give 10 per cent to whatever religious organization that empowered me with the skills to compete at the highest levels. Hell, I'd even go 15%. What's that, a "Tithe Point Five?"
    So it gives you cool stuff during your time here too? I thought all that money was like a religious superannuation plan that got you a ticket to Heaven, a bit like how chinese pay off snakeheads when they get their green cards. I would have thought asking God for stuff is a little unchristian like.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu May 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Player wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Hey, if I could do nothing but practice and play golf in all the neat places on the globe where they have the tournaments and earn millions of whatever currency is paid, I would gladly give 10 per cent to whatever religious organization that empowered me with the skills to compete at the highest levels. Hell, I'd even go 15%. What's that, a "Tithe Point Five?"
    So it gives you cool stuff during your time here too? I thought all that money was like a religious superannuation plan that got you a ticket to Heaven, a bit like how chinese pay off snakeheads when they get their green cards. I would have thought asking God for stuff is a little unchristian like.

Well if it doesn't, then why the f*ck do it?
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu May 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Mongrel wrote:
    Player wrote:

Well if it doesn't, then why the f*ck do it?
    Yeah I agree totally. If the church relied on finding decent, selfless christians their congregations would
    be pretty small, and they wouldnt be the sort of people you could wring much money outof. Its a good marketing ploy to promise a high return on investments. I would imagine 10% of your earnings and saying "thankyou Jesus" in public a few times a day is a price many would be willing to pay to get a diety in your corner.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm