The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+13
Poe4soul
12pierogi
jetdriver
Kiwigolfer
FreakOfNature
Lord Helmet
Pky6471
Mongrel
Horseballs
rooteen
Fluffy
Player
FamousDavis
17 posters

The 2013 Masters Tournament

Big Dave
    Big Dave

The 2013 Masters Tournament - Page 3 Empty Re: The 2013 Masters Tournament

Post  Big Dave Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Where's NAH when we need some bona fide Ozzie commentary.

I hereby predict Day will win the day.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Big Dave wrote:Where's NAH when we need some bona fide Ozzie commentary.

I hereby predict Day will win the day.

I hope so but he's struggling since he took the lead. Hang in there Jason!!!

I would support Scott but can't root for a guy with a long putter.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Player wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:This is what he said:

"I went back to where I played it from, but I went two yards further back and I took, tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit," Woods said. "And that should land me short of the flag and not have it either hit the flag or skip over the back. It worked out perfectly". 

How is that not intentional cheating? Ignorance of the rules is no excuse.
    Give it a break kiwi. The rule was introduced so guys could be punished for rule infractions post round without a dq for signing an incorrect card. Personally I dont like the idea of any post round sanctions during tourney. You have a guy scoring your card and match officials during a round, if they dont pick things up too bad. Could you imagine a world cup final being reversed the next day on a ref error picked up on video? This rule restores common sense to the game.

I'll just have to agree to disagree with you and FD. At least you two fanboys have found something in common.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I now predict both Scott and Day will choke in honour of Greg Norman and Cabrera will win his 3rd major.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:33 pm

now we need statisticians to tell us whether the same two guys have ever been runner up in the masters more than once. And Day needs a birdie to achieve THAT.

:-)
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Will Scott pull an aussie on 18?
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Great clutch putt from Scott!
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:53 pm

And Stevie looks like he will win another.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 pm

I take it all back about the long putter! Adam Scott you beauty!!!
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:56 pm

And the Argentine counters with a hell of a shot.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:57 pm

What a shot!!! Looks like we're going to a playoff.
    Homeslice
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Wow. That might have taken the wind out of Stevie and Cheat-putter's sails.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Good finish. Congrats all you guys down there.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Congratulations Adam Scott. Despite the long putter I'm pleased for the guy. He was long overdue to win a major and this allows the Aussie golfers to finally exorcise the ghosts of Greg Norman's Masters meltdowns which must have put immense pressure on them.

I was rooting for Jason Day but I'm pleased Scott pulled it off. This also wipes out his choke at The Open Championship.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Way to go Adam Scott! I thought for sure that Angel Cabrera was going to win the playoff. That second shot that Scott hit into #10 with a 5 iron was amazing. Then he holed a putt that didn't appear to be that easy. I am very happy for Adam Scott, especially after what happened last year at the British.

As far as the Tiger haters, give it a rest and understand the rules before you start making stuff up out of thin air. There is a new rule in place. Go read it. It gives the committee the right not to disqualify a player if he's notified after posting his score that someone called in an infraction and the committee deems the caller to be correct.

If anything, Tiger got royally screwed by hitting the pin.

Brandel Chamblee is a Tiger hater and always has been. They guy is an absolute jackass.

If it were any other player nobody would have said a thing. They would have said "it's about time we don't disqualify people based on people calling in rules violations where the player isn't notified until after he's signed his scorecard".

I cant' think of anyone who deserves this more than Adam Scott. Way to go. This should give him the confidence to go win 5 more. Man, just think if he could putt.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:02 pm

What if they outlaw that long putter of his. Can he still win another 5 without it?
    jetdriver
    jetdriver

Post  jetdriver Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:31 pm

FD, here is the thing about the new rule, and people calling in...
    On face value and common sense the new rule makes all the sense in the world, except that it may have a hidden effect of eliminating a deterrent to cheating. If the penalty for not giving yourself a penalty in the first place is just the penalty you would have given yourself (pre-card sign)then you may just take a chance and see what happens. If the penalty however is total DQ, then you may be more willing to asses a penalty on yourself in the first place to avoid drastic DQ if someone calls it in.
    I think the problem is people calling in and affecting the results in the first place. I think the score is one thing but players individual reputation as "Honorable" and "Honest" is a separate issue...I would hate to have to get referees out there to babysit the tour because nowadays players may try to cheat and disregard their ongoing reputations, That would be the end of a gentleman's game as we know it. Ignorance of the rules is another subject. I think tiger really did not think what he did was wrong, or he is used to this kind of activity and no one ever cared, before.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Scotts great win now completes the full set of majors being won with long putters, and this time it isnt a belly, its a full length broomstick. Augusta was the one course everyone thought couldnt be conquered with a cheats putter. It wil be interesting to see their response, however its hard to call it cheating when its someone with such a great all round game as Scott. That was one of the best finishes I have seen there, there were so many momentum shifts. Not as dramatic as bubba, but higher quality. Bubba hit a super shot, but he choked up to be in there in the first place. Scott was in total control throughout his entire round amd the playoff. If he putted in even ok he would have streeted them.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:43 pm

What a great win by Scott. Regardless of where you rank the Masters, there is no denying it produces some of the best tension filled finishes in the game. Loved it when Scott yelled "c'mon aussies" after that putt in regulation, then Cabrera follows it with the best approach to the 18th all day to make his first birdie in a finale round at the 18th. Don't think anyone would mind Cabrera in the trenches beside them, ice cool and by his post round interview someone who "gets" the game. I'd love to know how many major winners have suffered the heartbreak like Scott did last year, to bounce back and win one the following year. IMO that is what makes good golfers great.

On a side note, read an interview recently where Scott said he would continue to use the long putter for good, he would just modify the way he uses it by moving the top of it away from his body. Didn't really pay much attention to whether or not he is already doing this. Anyone else notice?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Player wrote:Scotts great win now completes the full set of majors being won with long putters, and this time it isnt a belly, its a full length broomstick. Augusta was the one course everyone thought couldnt be conquered with a cheats putter. It wil be interesting to see their response, however its hard to call it cheating when its someone with such a great all round game as Scott. That was one of the best finishes I have seen there, there were so many momentum shifts. Not as dramatic as bubba, but higher quality. Bubba hit a super shot, but he choked up to be in there in the first place. Scott was in total control throughout his entire round amd the playoff. If he putted in even ok he would have streeted them.

I've begun to change my thinking on the long putters and anchoring. First of all, Adam Scott missed a ton of putts today. In fact, halfway through the round I said out loud "this guy would win by a mile if he could putt". He hit a ton of iron shots close and missed a bunch of makeable birdies. So, in some ways, the anchored putters give the great shot makers who are great at everything in the game, except for putting, a chance. Maybe that's a good thing. I guess I could go either way on this. Personally, I've never played with anyone who I consider to be a great putter who uses a belly or long putter.

I think anchoring definitely assists a player who yips short putts or who has trouble with putting in general. Is that wrong or not in the spirit of the game? Some players use longer and lighter drivers to enable them to hit the ball further. I've tried using a belly putter at the golf store and don't putt as well with it. The bottom line for me is I don't like the look of them.

Definitely one of the all time great Masters finishes. It makes you wonder what kind of personality enables someone like Cabrera to turn it on like that after playing so miserably for four years.

Snedeker's weaknesses were revealed for sure. That 4 wood into the 13th hole was horrible.

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:42 am

jetdriver wrote:FD, here is the thing about the new rule, and people calling in...
    On face value and common sense the new rule makes all the sense in the world, except that it may have a hidden effect of eliminating a deterrent to cheating. If the penalty for not giving yourself a penalty in the first place is just the penalty you would have given yourself (pre-card sign)then you may just take a chance and see what happens. If the penalty however is total DQ, then you may be more willing to asses a penalty on yourself in the first place to avoid drastic DQ if someone calls it in.
    I think the problem is people calling in and affecting the results in the first place. I think the score is one thing but players individual reputation as "Honorable" and "Honest" is a separate issue...I would hate to have to get referees out there to babysit the tour because nowadays players may try to cheat and disregard their ongoing reputations, That would be the end of a gentleman's game as we know it. Ignorance of the rules is another subject. I think tiger really did not think what he did was wrong, or he is used to this kind of activity and no one ever cared, before.

Jet, I see what you're saying but I think most players are good about calling penalties on themselves when they know a rule is broken. Maybe the PGA tour should get rid of the need for scorecards since everything is recorded anyway. They won't do that to keep the rules the same for everyone who plays the game, which is also very important. I don't agree with the argument which says that since players in the past have been DQ'd for signing incorrect scorecards that we should always proceed this way in the future.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:47 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:Scotts great win now completes the full set of majors being won with long putters, and this time it isnt a belly, its a full length broomstick. Augusta was the one course everyone thought couldnt be conquered with a cheats putter. It wil be interesting to see their response, however its hard to call it cheating when its someone with such a great all round game as Scott. That was one of the best finishes I have seen there, there were so many momentum shifts. Not as dramatic as bubba, but higher quality. Bubba hit a super shot, but he choked up to be in there in the first place. Scott was in total control throughout his entire round amd the playoff. If he putted in even ok he would have streeted them.

I've begun to change my thinking on the long putters and anchoring. First of all, Adam Scott missed a ton of putts today. In fact, halfway through the round I said out loud "this guy would win by a mile if he could putt". He hit a ton of iron shots close and missed a bunch of makeable birdies. So, in some ways, the anchored putters give the great shot makers who are great at everything in the game, except for putting, a chance. Maybe that's a good thing. I guess I could go either way on this. Personally, I've never played with anyone who I consider to be a great putter who uses a belly or long putter.

I think anchoring definitely assists a player who yips short putts or who has trouble with putting in general. Is that wrong or not in the spirit of the game? Some players use longer and lighter drivers to enable them to hit the ball further. I've tried using a belly putter at the golf store and don't putt as well with it. The bottom line for me is I don't like the look of them.

Definitely one of the all time great Masters finishes. It makes you wonder what kind of personality enables someone like Cabrera to turn it on like that after playing so miserably for four years.

Snedeker's weaknesses were revealed for sure. That 4 wood into the 13th hole was horrible.

Sneds seems to be quite a way away from a major champion. He had some chokes out there today, and even when he played well he was noticably shorter than Cabreras, who isnt as long as Scott or Day. Sneds was leaving himself consistently two clubs longer into greens, which will wear you down when you add sunday pressure. Day collapsed over the stretch too but Sneds really folded like a cheap suit very early on in the round. I think this loss will hurt him more than Immelman. Day will recover but Sends is gone. I still dont rate the masters as so much blind luck is involved, but you cant deny it is the most exciting last day of all the majors.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 am

One noteworthy achievement which seems to have been overlooked in all the excitement is that this is Strvies 14th major, which equals tiger. I didnt see the post round interview but I wonder if Stevie rated this one as his best major victory. Stevie showed he can get the job done even with a renowned choker like Scott. Scotts win almost made up for letting stevie down in last years open, hopefully stevie will be a big enough man to put it behind him now Scott has helped him win another major.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:39 am

Player wrote:One noteworthy achievement which seems to have been overlooked in all the excitement is that this is Strvies 14th major, which equals tiger. I didnt see the post round interview but I wonder if Stevie rated this one as his best major victory. Stevie showed he can get the job done even with a renowned choker like Scott. Scotts win almost made up for letting stevie down in last years open, hopefully stevie will be a big enough man to put it behind him now Scott has helped him win another major.

It's all over our media that Stevie read the final winning putt. It's bad enough that Scott uses a cheats putter but having Stevie on the bag as well is just plain unfair to the rest of the field. The PGA will have to look at ways to level the playing field otherwise golf will get boring with Stevie dominating all the majors.

Tiger must really regret getting sacked by Stevie. Stevie would never have let Tiger play that errant shot that hit the pin and certainly wouldn't have let him make an illegal drop that effectively cost him the tournament.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:47 am

Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

Sneds seems to be quite a way away from a major champion. He had some chokes out there today, and even when he played well he was noticably shorter than Cabreras, who isnt as long as Scott or Day. Sneds was leaving himself consistently two clubs longer into greens, which will wear you down when you add sunday pressure. Day collapsed over the stretch too but Sneds really folded like a cheap suit very early on in the round. I think this loss will hurt him more than Immelman. Day will recover but Sends is gone. I still dont rate the masters as so much blind luck is involved, but you cant deny it is the most exciting last day of all the majors.

I think it's harsh to say that Day collapsed. It seems to me he just froze in the headlights once he took that two shot lead. He just couldn't execute the shots that he had been swinging freely earlier leading to two consecutive bogies as soon as he took that two shot lead. If he had held his nerve we may witnessed a three way playoff. It's a shame but I agree that Day will recover and be a better finisher for the experience.7

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm