The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
FamousDavis
Lord Helmet
Kiwigolfer
7 posters

Daylight savings ends this weekend - sigh

Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Daylight savings ends this weekend - sigh Empty Daylight savings ends this weekend - sigh

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Crying or Very sad

We have had the most awesome summer down here in NZ. I can count the number of days rain since Xmas on one hand I reckon. Simply awesome from a leisure point of view but our farmers have been hit hard and much of the country is in an official state of drought. Also the golf courses are pretty dried out and we could definitely use some rain. The daylight savings period ends on the weekend so no more evening golf after work until October. Winter is coming, though it doesn't feel like it yet. disappointed

Well it's been a great one. Hope you guys in the north start seeing some warm spring conditions soon. afro
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Daylight savings ends this weekend - sigh Empty Re: Daylight savings ends this weekend - sigh

Post  Lord Helmet Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote: Crying or Very sad

We have had the most awesome summer down here in NZ. I can count the number of days rain since Xmas on one hand I reckon. Simply awesome from a leisure point of view but our farmers have been hit hard and much of the country is in an official state of drought. Also the golf courses are pretty dried out and we could definitely use some rain. The daylight savings period ends on the weekend so no more evening golf after work until October. Winter is coming, though it doesn't feel like it yet. disappointed

Well it's been a great one. Hope you guys in the north start seeing some warm spring conditions soon. afro

Hey kiwi. Daylight savings started here a couple weeks ago - hasnt made a difference so far. The sun is just out longer when its cold. Long range weather is calling for increasing temps so hopefully soon I will be out on the course!
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Daylight savings ends this weekend - sigh Empty Re: Daylight savings ends this weekend - sigh

Post  FamousDavis Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Wow, you guys really are behind the times. We started daylight savings time several weeks ago. Did you guys just now get the notice to turn back your clocks? Pony Express?
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

Wow, you guys really are behind the times. We started daylight savings time several weeks ago. Did you guys just now get the notice to turn back your clocks? Pony Express?

LOL good point. Up until a few years ago we turned back the clocks about 3 or 4 weeks earlier but in recent years the seasons seem to have changed so much that we often get some of our best weather right through to late March/early April. So the decision was made to extend it by three weeks. We also change the clocks a week earlier in spring too so overall we get an extra 4 weeks of daylight savings. A win/win for everyone. Unless you're a dairy farmer. I guess the cows don't pay much attention to the clocks. Too bad - their big dairy payouts should keep them happy.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:

Hey kiwi. Daylight savings started here a couple weeks ago - hasnt made a difference so far. The sun is just out longer when its cold. Long range weather is calling for increasing temps so hopefully soon I will be out on the course!

It seems like our extended summer is mirrored by your extended winter. Man that sux for you guys. Hope it comes right soon.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:46 am

[quote="Kiwigolfer"] Crying or Very sad

Simply awesome from a leisure point of view but our farmers have been hit hard and much of the country is in an official state of drought.
    /quote]

Sounds like you guys have morphed into Aussies, welcome to the dust bowl.

You are right about summer Kiwi, here in Tas we have had literally 3 days of rain and some of the hottest days on record. Hobart hit 43*C on one occasion. I cant remember ever getting home from work at 6pm and thinking stuff it , its too bloody hot to go play nine. Our daylight savings ends this weekend too, so shouldn't be long and i will be looking at snow on the mountain, but unlike our northern hemisphere counterparts at least i can play golf all year round.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 am

Sounds like Tassie has had very similar summer to NZ. I wasn't sure about Aussie in general as I know friends in Queensland have had a pretty shite summer. Lots of storms, rain, even flooding. I was in Melbourne a few weeks ago and even they seem to have had a mixed bag.

But you're right Roo. Winter may be on the way but at least we can still play weekends. afro
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Where I live now, in the summer, I can play until 11:45PM and tee off again at 4:00AM.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:42 pm

You must be up near the Circle, eh?
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Mostly German wrote:You must be up near the Circle, eh?

I'm in that direction, but not toooo close. Closer than I'd like to be!

Days in the winter, it's dark at 3:15 PM.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:32 am

Golfaholic wrote:Where I live now, in the summer, I can play until 11:45PM and tee off again at 4:00AM.

Awesome! afro

Maybe winters - not so much? disappointed
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:Where I live now, in the summer, I can play until 11:45PM and tee off again at 4:00AM.

Awesome! afro

Maybe winters - not so much? disappointed

KP/KG, where I live now (houston), with this kind of winter, we might as well be Auckland. I've seen frost on the windscreen ONCE this winter. Every day was the same. south south west wind 10-15 with humidity in it, around 75-80F. I"m afraid the summer will be the same except for 95-100F.

South Texas has a lot in common with Cuba. And Cairo. If you put your finger on Houston on a globe and spin it, you end up with your finger on Cairo. Not much in the way of golf in Cairo. There is one course near Giza you can see on Google Earth, but I'd bet it isn't in as good a condition as yours. :-)
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Any Infidel playing around Giza would be well-advised to make his 15th club an AK47 or variant thereof. With lots of extra "sleeves".

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am