The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
jt1135
Mongrel
Pky6471
7 posters

How is your setup and your stance?

Pky6471
    Pky6471

How is your setup and your stance? Empty How is your setup and your stance?

Post  Pky6471 Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:52 am

I've spent plenty of time on the range last yr and this yr to zone in the best setup for me, I want to get to the point that I would second guess myself on a golf course.

I play strong left grip, the "V" points to outside of my right shoulder
    I play weak right grip, the "V" points to middle of my chest and I could see 3 knuckles
    I play close stance, my left foot is approx 6" forward of my right foot, this forces me to swing from inside out
    and I stand tall, more like Ian Poutler

I can't draw sh$$$t no matter what I do with my driver and woods, This is a good thing because I completely ELIMINATE the left side of a golf course... but I could draw 5i-7i just to get out of trouble.

I don't see pros play with a close stance. Fred Couples, Ryan Moore, Bubba Watson, Allen Doyle etc... all play with an open stance

How do you guys/girls/AC-DC do?

Happy Easter
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

How is your setup and your stance? Empty Re: How is your setup and your stance?

Post  Mongrel Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:37 am

My evolving new setup and swing is taught by PGA pro Ross Duplessis and is described and touted on his website. You can Google him if you want. The setup is square with weight biased on the front foot. Although I don't know much about either method, I assume that there are elements of the Rotary Swing and Stack & Tilt in it. There are Youtube videos that describe his method. They are short and the guy is no-nonsense. Although I am leery about professional golf instruction, if I lived close to him in New Mexico, I would pay him for lessons. Mongrel out.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:01 am

Our bodies are built differently , so we don't swing the same, neither do the Pros... As we get older our physical moves change and we have to to change to accommodate the aging body... Even TW changes his swing now and then... I believe there is an optimum setup (stance and grips) that would allow me to strike a ball as clean as possible... and I hope I am getting there
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 am

I have never in my 58 years of golf struck irons more repeatedly cleanly, crisply and straight than after watching the above-mentioned dude's videos.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Checked out a couple of Ross's vids. Much much better than Larry's vids and instructions. Laughing
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:54 pm

Mostly German wrote:I have never in my 58 years of golf struck irons more repeatedly cleanly, crisply and straight than after watching the above-mentioned dude's videos.

Man... that's a long wait, no wonder it's tơo late for U to turn Pro Rolling Eyes
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm

jt1135 wrote:Checked out a couple of Ross's vids. Much much better than Larry's vids and instructions. Laughing

I think there are many similarities except that Ross's presentation in very simple and easy for me to understand. I can do some of the drills in my house without hitting balls. Since I started reading his blogs and videos and practicing it, I've probably hit no more than 300 balls-- mostly wedges and short irons -- and have it pretty ingrained enough to take it to the course. And able to do my pre-shot and hit the shot in less time than before.

I understand a guy like Larry who gets it in drips and drabs from his range pro. Sort of like a person who stays in psychotherapy for years just because the therapist is pleasant to be around and the routine is satisfying. And the therapist, just like the range pro, needs to make a living. Personally, I don't have time for all that crap and just want to start playing better golf ASAP.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:24 pm

Pky6471 wrote:I've spent plenty of time on the range last yr and this yr to zone in the best setup for me, I want to get to the point that I would second guess myself on a golf course.

I play strong left grip, the "V" points to outside of my right shoulder
    I play weak right grip, the "V" points to middle of my chest and I could see 3 knuckles
    I play close stance, my left foot is approx 6" forward of my right foot, this forces me to swing from inside out
    and I stand tall, more like Ian Poutler

I can't draw sh$$$t no matter what I do with my driver and woods, This is a good thing because I completely ELIMINATE the left side of a golf course... but I could draw 5i-7i just to get out of trouble.

I don't see pros play with a close stance. Fred Couples, Ryan Moore, Bubba Watson, Allen Doyle etc... all play with an open stance

How do you guys/girls/AC-DC do?

Happy Easter

There are two types of closed stances: 1) Your feet and shoulders are both aiming right of the target and 2) Your left foot is forward of the right foot but your shoulders are square. If your using the first one then you are putting excessive stress on your body by hitting your fade. The only way to accomplish a fade with that stance is to come over the top.

I find that I get into trouble when I start aligning my body right of target. I come over the top and don't let my legs drive through the ball enough.

When I'm square or slightly open my brain tells me that I'm going to pull the ball left of target. However, if turn my hips first on the downswing and finish with my weight on the left side, the ball goes straight at the target.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:32 am

FamousDavis wrote:There are two types of closed stances: 1) Your feet and shoulders are both aiming right of the target and 2) Your left foot is forward of the right foot but your shoulders are square. If your using the first one then you are putting excessive stress on your body by hitting your fade. The only way to accomplish a fade with that stance is to come over the top.

I find that I get into trouble when I start aligning my body right of target. I come over the top and don't let my legs drive through the ball enough.

When I'm square or slightly open my brain tells me that I'm going to pull the ball left of target. However, if turn my hips first on the downswing and finish with my weight on the left side, the ball goes straight at the target.

I believe this is the case, it seems to help extending my left arm for a wider arch and hence longer shot, more importantly it helps me hit a ball much cleaner... As can't draw with my driver or woods, no matter what I do I just can't so I don't fight it, I just take the left side out and that's pretty good for me
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 am

Best results for me is ball in middle (or just forward of middle) with open stance. Just feels better to me. I play a fade. Very neutral grip. FD is right, when I am doing this, it feels like im going to pull the s.hit out of the ball. But if I make a real effort to move my lower body and hips first, ball goes straight with slight fade. Works for me - might not work for you.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:Best results for me is ball in middle (or just forward of middle) with open stance. Just feels better to me. I play a fade. Very neutral grip. FD is right, when I am doing this, it feels like im going to pull the s.hit out of the ball. But if I make a real effort to move my lower body and hips first, ball goes straight with slight fade. Works for me - might not work for you.

I putt better with an open stance.

For other clubs, I can play either open stance or closed stance but never square, call me AC-DC if you want... But with closed stance I seem to hit longer with inside out swing and bigger arch than a open stance... I probably don't turn as much as I should , maybe that's why a closed stance is a little better for me , go figure
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:Best results for me is ball in middle (or just forward of middle) with open stance. Just feels better to me. I play a fade. Very neutral grip. FD is right, when I am doing this, it feels like im going to pull the s.hit out of the ball. But if I make a real effort to move my lower body and hips first, ball goes straight with slight fade. Works for me - might not work for you.

For other clubs, I can play either open stance or closed stance but never square, call me AC-DC if you want... But with closed stance I seem to hit longer with inside out swing and bigger arch than a open stance... I probably don't turn as much as I should , maybe that's why a closed stance is a little better for me , go figure

Closed stance allows for a bigger turn. Open stance restricts your arc a bit. So a closed stance will allow for a longer shot. I get out of control if I am closed so I choose the safer path (for me) of consistent right to left flight (Im a lefty). I say whatever works for folks is what they should do. That idiot at GR and his million posts about posting the leg, everyone's gotta do it 1 way, blah blah annoy the hell out of me. Do what feels and works best for you.

I also putt open and prefer it - like the feel.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:23 am

[quote="Lord Helmet"]
    Pky6471 wrote:

For other clubs, I can play either open stance or closed stance but never square, call me AC-DC if you want... But with closed stance I seem to hit longer with inside out swing and bigger arch than a open stance... I probably don't turn as much as I should , maybe that's why a closed stance is a little better for me , go figure[/quote Oo]

Closed stance allows for a bigger turn. Open stance restricts your arc a bit. So a closed stance will allow for a longer shot. I get out of control if I am closed so I choose the safer path (for me) of consistent right to left flight (Im a lefty). I say whatever works for folks is what they should do. That idiot at GR and his million posts about posting the leg, everyone's gotta do it 1 way, blah blah annoy the hell out of me. Do what feels and works best for you.

IMO a slightly open stance will make the transition to the front leg in the down swing much easier and should lead to more consistent and powerful ball striking. The trick is making sure your shoulders and hips remain square to your target line, which can easily be achieved by looking at a spot a few inches behind the ball at set up (with driver). I putt with a very open stance too, it just feels like Im getting a more flowing stroke and not getting cramped up. I putt sbst too which is probably also more compatible to an open stance.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 am

I putt sbst also but my stance is dead square. It works for me because my putter is short and I choke down on it and the shaft is almost vertical. When I try standing a bit farther from the ball, the accuracy goes down the dumper. For the rest of the shots, I am square except that with my revamped swing, I'm leaning towards slightly open to get the best hits which are, for me, fades. Nothing good has ever happened for me on a golf course going left off the tee.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

Off course there's a lot of assumptions on this. If you are flexible a square stance with your front foot turned open to restrict some hip turn would be better than the closed stance. For most amateurs it's beneficial to figure out which stance gives you the most success of hitting the ball on the back side of the arc, hitting the little ball before the big ball.

I'm always curious as to which eye is dominant when talking about stances. I think the dominant eye may have a stronger role in ones natural tendencies than other factors. I'm left eye dominant and left handed, or back eye dominant, I have a tendency to line up a bit open.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

For other clubs, I can play either open stance or closed stance but never square, call me AC-DC if you want... But with closed stance I seem to hit longer with inside out swing and bigger arch than a open stance... I probably don't turn as much as I Oo should , maybe that's why a closed stance is a little better for me , go figure

Off course there's a lot of assumptions on this. If you are flexible a square stance with your front foot turned open to restrict some hip turn would be better than the closed stance. For most amateurs it's beneficial to figure out which stance gives you the most success of hitting the ball on the back side of the arc, hitting the little ball before the big ball.

I'm always curious as to which eye is dominant when talking about stances. I think the dominant eye may have a stronger role in ones natural tendencies than other factors. I'm left eye dominant and left handed, or back eye dominant, I have a tendency to line up a bit open.
    You are quite correct, for very flexible people an open stance would be too loose, I meant for the average joe with no athleticism or flexibility. Im not super flexible, and the open front foot makes the transition almost automatic.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 am