The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

3 posters

Mongrel, what could I do with this shaft....

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Mongrel, what could I do with this shaft.... Empty Mongrel, what could I do with this shaft....

Post  Pky6471 Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:38 pm

65+ here, beautiful weather so I went out for a range session, hit 2 large buckets (one paid, the other two halves from guys next stall who left to play real golf... One guy broke his 4W and this is his story: He did not like the V2 Proforce R-flex shaft in his TM driver so removed it then put it in his 4W (thinking that since it was installed untipped in driver he would turn it into A-shaft in his 4W (he cut at butt end for a correct length of a 4W)... Obviously he did damage the tip end when he removed it from a driver) so now it broke below the ferrow (sp?)... He does not know what to do with it so he said I could have it... Not sure what I am going to do with it, but being a stupid engineer/scientist, I would take it home and find a good use for it... I could turn it into a decent shaft for a 5W or 1H (?)... If I am not sure how to do it right, I could give it to my PGA professional friend at Dicks Sporting Goods to install a head to it... but I trust Mongrel's opinion first Laughing
    Thanks
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Mongrel, what could I do with this shaft.... Empty Re: Mongrel, what could I do with this shaft....

Post  Mongrel Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:43 pm

OK. First look at the shaft closely. If it is a true V2 from UST, it will have the specs written on it including weight, tip diameter, and UST's proprietary flex measurments of butt, mid and tip section frequencies. If it is a Taylor proprietary, this data will probably be lacking.

So it was a regular flex in his driver and was probably 46" uncut. If it wasn't tipped in the driver, it was butt-trimmed to say 45" Now say he did the stoopid thing neophyte clubmakers do when first trying to remove a graphite shaft and that is to bugger the tip by overheating the head and trying to twist the shaft out. Been there and done that and it never ends happily for the shaft or owner. OK, so assume two things: most all Taylor drivers have hosel bores of 0.350" instead of the more common standard of 0.335". This means that whatever you put it in has to have at least a 0.350" hosel bore. It could be installed in a0.370" hosel like many hybrids have using some sort of shimming device which is common practice and should be ultra reliable installed properly.

So this driver shaft broke at the ferrule and it must be assumed that is the equivalent of taking two inches off the tip. UST/Mamiya has a webpage with recommended tipping specs for all its shafts and the various clubheads they might go into. Out of memory, I think that using one of their driver shafts in a 3 wood would call for a half inch tip. A five wood maybe one inch. The max is probably one inch but that doesn't matter because all the V2's have parallel tip sections of 4 inches.

Installed in a fairway wood or hybrid and butt-trimmed to desired length, you would have a regular flex shaft except with a stiffer tip section and the flex/kick point of the shaft closer to the clubhead. If it were mine and I had a 5 wood or low lofted hybrid head with at least a 0.350" diameter hosel bore that I wasn't playing, I would certainly try it out. But then, I'm an inveterate tinkerer and shaft junkie.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Mongrel, what could I do with this shaft.... Empty Re: Mongrel, what could I do with this shaft....

Post  Pky6471 Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Mostly German wrote:OK. First look at the shaft closely. If it is a true V2 from UST, it will have the specs written on it including weight, tip diameter, and UST's proprietary flex measurments of butt, mid and tip section frequencies. If it is a Taylor proprietary, this data will probably be lacking.

So it was a regular flex in his driver and was probably 46" uncut. If it wasn't tipped in the driver, it was butt-trimmed to say 45" Now say he did the stoopid thing neophyte clubmakers do when first trying to remove a graphite shaft and that is to bugger the tip by overheating the head and trying to twist the shaft out. Been there and done that and it never ends happily for the shaft or owner. OK, so assume two things: most all Taylor drivers have hosel bores of 0.350" instead of the more common standard of 0.335". This means that whatever you put it in has to have at least a 0.350" hosel bore. It could be installed in a0.370" hosel like many hybrids have using some sort of shimming device which is common practice and should be ultra reliable installed properly.

So this driver shaft broke at the ferrule and it must be assumed that is the equivalent of taking two inches off the tip. UST/Mamiya has a webpage with recommended tipping specs for all its shafts and the various clubheads they might go into. Out of memory, I think that using one of their driver shafts in a 3 wood would call for a half inch tip. A five wood maybe one inch. The max is probably one inch but that doesn't matter because all the V2's have parallel tip sections of 4 inches.

Installed in a fairway wood or hybrid and butt-trimmed to desired length, you would have a regular flex shaft except with a stiffer tip section and the flex/kick point of the shaft closer to the clubhead. If it were mine and I had a 5 wood or low lofted hybrid head with at least a 0.350" diameter hosel bore that I wasn't playing, I would certainly try it out. But then, I'm an inveterate tinkerer and shaft junkie.

Here is the info on the shaft: Flex R/ Wt.65g/ Torque 3.0/ Butt Stiffness 252/ Mid Stiffness 6.3/ Tip Stiffness 26/ Tip Parallel 4.0"/ Tip OD .335".... Since the tip was broken, I assume a new head would have at least 0.350" hosel bore like U said... I have a 2H Adams hybrid that I like... only if I could find a 1H hybrid head then I would give it to my friend at Dicks and put it in for me.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:54 pm

A .335" 65 gram V2 regular. Great shaft. Same as I had in my 907D2 until it snapped after I messed with it. Stupid me. I hit some of my best drives in memory with it but was too broke at the time to want to spend another $60 on a new one and put an AXIV that I got new at Golf Galaxy for $9.97 (MSRP $89.995), a deal I couldn't refuse. You can put this shaft into any head with it shimmed. I would urge you to take it somewhere that has new uncut shafts so that you can estimate how much of the tip is gone and that will indicate in what head it might work well. Note that it is a regular shaft but with a 3.0 degree torque rating. This shaft is about the best bang for the buck when it comes to low torque shafts in regular flexes. Thanks for reminding me. I still have that one missing a bunch of tip that I might put into my Cobra Baffler 20* hybrid head. I like that head alot but the V2 hybrid shafts I've had in it and I haven't synched up too good on the course in competition.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:38 pm

You could make a hat...or a broach....
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Mongrel, what could I do with this shaft.... Empty Anyone is familiar with this head?

Post  Pky6471 Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:16 am

Mostly German wrote:A .335" 65 gram V2 regular. Great shaft. Same as I had in my 907D2 until it snapped after I messed with it. Stupid me. I hit some of my best drives in memory with it but was too broke at the time to want to spend another $60 on a new one and put an AXIV that I got new at Golf Galaxy for $9.97 (MSRP $89.995), a deal I couldn't refuse. You can put this shaft into any head with it shimmed. I would urge you to take it somewhere that has new uncut shafts so that you can estimate how much of the tip is gone and that will indicate in what head it might work well. Note that it is a regular shaft but with a 3.0 degree torque rating. This shaft is about the best bang for the buck when it comes to low torque shafts in regular flexes. Thanks for reminding me. I still have that one missing a bunch of tip that I might put into my Cobra Baffler 20* hybrid head. I like that head alot but the V2 hybrid shafts I've had in it and I haven't synched up too good on the course in competition.

If good, I could buy one and put in this V2 shaft... Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adams-Golf-IDEA-Super-Hybrid-15-Velocity-Slot-Technology-Head-224-0g-w-HC-NEW-/390555722773?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D6141431009575217306%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D390555722773%26
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:45 am

If you buy that head, I would also get a 0.370" tip hybrid shaft for it. In my local Golf Galaxy yesterday were several nice used hybrids for stupid cheap money. Like some sort of Adams 20 or so degree with the Adams Matrix regular shaft. $18.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:54 am

Mostly German wrote:If you buy that head, I would also get a 0.370" tip hybrid shaft for it. In my local Golf Galaxy yesterday were several nice used hybrids for stupid cheap money. Like some sort of Adams 20 or so degree with the Adams Matrix regular shaft. $18.

Thanks Mongrel... I don't need anymore club... just want to use this shaft in a cheap way... I will consult with my friend at Dicks

I went out to see my friend at Dicks, he said since it's splintered a little bit at the end, he would not recommend to use it for any club... So I will keep it for fun now disappointed

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 am