The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

jetdriver
    jetdriver

Club Ho'ing  - Page 2 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  jetdriver Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:After countless beers and many puffs of the good stuff decided the hell with different irons. Really like the Srixons anyway. The only thing I'm going to do is get a different pitching wedge. Its a 46 in the irons so gonna get the same in a wedge. Got it narrowed down to a Cleveland CG16 with the traction shaft, not one of my favorite shafts. The new Cleveland 588RTX with a DG wedge flex shaft and a Vokey SM with a DG wedge flex. Currently have the CG14 52 in my bag and I do like it. Never hit a vokey so unsure about it. Any thoughts or feedback?

Last year I bought used Vokey 52 and 56 degrees. The older models, not the Spin Milled types. I still have the 52* and played it the entire past season as my gap wedge. I ended up not bonding with the 56" and traded it in on another wedge awhile ago. Both had the True Temper wedge flex shafts which are probably S200's. Those are too much for me so I put a Dynalite Gold s300 in the 52*. I have hit wedges with the specialty spinner shafts and never liked them. The spin increased but the trajectory I get with them is way too low when I need to really loft one high. That Vokey will be leaving my bag since I got a new set of used Cobra chopper sticks that includes a gap wedge at 49.5* with graphite shaft. That club goes about 5 yards less than my Vokey 52 on a full swing so goodbye Vokey. I saved some shots with the Vokey on pitches and chips this past summer but a couple of times really chunked or thinned it on full approaches that resulted in unpleasant numbers on those holes. I got a couple of used Mizuno wedges to round out the bottom slot in the bag. A 54* MP Series with factory graphite shaft that seems to go about 15 yards less than the new gap wedge and feels real smooth and repeatable on half siwng 50 yarders which is a shot that has been absent from my repertoire for a long time. Then I got an MP-R 60* with the TT wedge flex shaft that I pulled and replaced with another Dynalite Gold. The sole grind on that one is tricky but I can cut the legs off a ball sitting on concrete if I strike it just off the heel. I like the Vokeys OK but I would go looking for some used ones just in case they don't do it for you. Their faces brown out pretty quickly and the grooves wear down a bit but that's nothing a Brillo pad and a carbide steel pointed tool won't fix.
    Them old Vokeys are pretty good. I have a 50* that was very good so I picked the exact thing up in 52*. Same everything exept the grip...big difference the 52* sucked as far as feeling (sheet metal feeling). I am still perplexed how different some "same" clubs feel from one another...Ive run into this with hogan irons as well.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:56 pm

[/quote]
    Them old Vokeys are pretty good. I have a 50* that was very good so I picked the exact thing up in 52*. Same everything exept the grip...big difference the 52* sucked as far as feeling (sheet metal feeling). I am still perplexed how different some "same" clubs feel from one another...Ive run into this with hogan irons as well.[/quote]

Its funny but sometimes a club that feels like crap can be made to be your favorite weapon just be altering some aspect of it. My 52* Vokey feels real good to me after I pulled the stock DG S200 "Wedge Flex" shaft and put a Dynalite Gold SL S300 37" raw shaft in it cut down to about 35.75", had the lie angle bent from the stock 64* to 62*, and put a wrap of duct tape under the right hand position before re-gripping it. I am keeping this wedge but it does not fit into the scheme with the new set of irons I got recently that has a gap wedge that seems to be a lot more reliable to me.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:07 pm

I've never bought a club on Ebay but I found a ping i20 3 wood for $100 that caught my eye. The only thing is, this is listed with the ad:

"NOTES: Club has been reshafted and has a rattle in the shaft"

It's from GolfDiscount, so you know it's a reputable dealer.

Would this be a no go for you big time ebay buyers? The club looks to be in great shape. They still retail for $260.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Golfaholic wrote:I've never bought a club on Ebay but I found a ping i20 3 wood for $100 that caught my eye. The only thing is, this is listed with the ad:

Would this be a no go for you big time ebay buyers? The club looks to be in great shape. They still retail for $260.

$100 for a rattler sounds like a lot unless the same club without defect would sell for a good bit more. So with any luck, the rattle would be a bit of epoxy or a tip weight that has broken loose during use. When the grip is pulled, tapping the butt on a hard surface should get rid of the offender. The other problem could be a bit of weighting glue loose in the clubhead. If it is rat glue, the head could be shaken to try to isolate the glue into a corner and then heat that corner with a torch for a couple of seconds and hopefully the glue would melt and stick there. I have a 905R head that developed a head rattle after I torched it pretty good pulling a shaft. I reshafted it and heated the head and the rattle stopped but started again after the fifth ball I hit with it. I no longer use this club since it really f*cks up my shot when I hear the head rattle at the top of my backwing.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:I've never bought a club on Ebay but I found a ping i20 3 wood for $100 that caught my eye. The only thing is, this is listed with the ad:

$100 for a rattler sounds like a lot unless the same club without defect would sell for a good bit more. So with any luck, the rattle would be a bit of epoxy or a tip weight that has broken loose during use. When the grip is pulled, tapping the butt on a hard surface should get rid of the offender. The other problem could be a bit of weighting glue loose in the clubhead. If it is rat glue, the head could be shaken to try to isolate the glue into a corner and then heat that corner with a torch for a couple of seconds and hopefully the glue would melt and stick there. I have a 905R head that developed a head rattle after I torched it pretty good pulling a shaft. I reshafted it and heated the head and the rattle stopped but started again after the fifth ball I hit with it. I no longer use this club since it really f*cks up my shot when I hear the head rattle at the top of my backwing.

Hm. An i20 with no rattle should easily catch $180 in this condition. Maybe I will let this one slide and hope I see something else before June. I'm sure I will, I saw some TM 3 woods for around 150. The rattle in my current 3 wood doesn't make any noise during the swing, so it's not a big deal to me.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:29 pm

A rattle would drive me nuts. I'd just wait and keep an eye out since you got almost 6 months till you need it.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:20 am

jt1135 wrote:A rattle would drive me nuts. I'd just wait and keep an eye out since you got almost 6 months till you need it.
    Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. The auction ended a few hours ago. I don't really NEED a new 3 wood anyway. Mine is just old and I figure there is something newer that I will hit better.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 2 Empty Titleist AP2 irons, 3-PW, with Project X 5.5

Post  FamousDavis Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:50 pm

I noticed a set of these on Craigslist for $350. I told the guy I'd be willing to buy them for $250. He showed up and I have to say they are in excellent condition except that the PW has some scratches on the sole. Not deep, but noticeable. After a little more haggling we got down to $200.

I have to say, this is a beautiful set of irons. They have brand new Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2010 white grips, except for the 3-iron that has the original grip.

I'm going to put these into play on Friday and we'll see how it goes. I know some people who swear by them and others who couldn't seem to get the hang of them.

Definitely one of the nicest looking sets of irons I've owned.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 am

FamousDavis wrote:I noticed a set of these on Craigslist for $350. I told the guy I'd be willing to buy them for $250. He showed up and I have to say they are in excellent condition except that the PW has some scratches on the sole. Not deep, but noticeable. After a little more haggling we got down to $200.

I have to say, this is a beautiful set of irons. They have brand new Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2010 white grips, except for the 3-iron that has the original grip.

I'm going to put these into play on Friday and we'll see how it goes. I know some people who swear by them and others who couldn't seem to get the hang of them.

You got yourself a set of AP 2's for $200 with 5.5? Wow. I am extremely envious. It seems that the 5.5 flex is typically the most popular for the masses and tends to sell for more than the 6.0's and above.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I noticed a set of these on Craigslist for $350. I told the guy I'd be willing to buy them for $250. He showed up and I have to say they are in excellent condition except that the PW has some scratches on the sole. Not deep, but noticeable. After a little more haggling we got down to $200.

You got yourself a set of AP 2's for $200 with 5.5? Wow. I am extremely envious. It seems that the 5.5 flex is typically the most popular for the masses and tends to sell for more than the 6.0's and above.

They are the introductory version that came out in 2008 or 2009. Still, though, they are in great shape. I've cut and pasted a photo. By the way, please let me know if you can see the photo in this post of the AP2s. It should be right below this line:
    Attachments
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 2 Attachment004.JPG
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (572 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 pm

They look nice FD
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:58 am

You're really moving up in the world FD. GFF MP32's, forged AP2's. Soon you won't be able to stomach the sight of a Ping Eye 2 garden hoe.

A buddy of mine bought those and loves them.

Let's know how they go in the hands of the worlds greatest BS.

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:41 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:You're really moving up in the world FD. GFF MP32's, forged AP2's. Soon you won't be able to stomach the sight of a Ping Eye 2 garden hoe.

A buddy of mine bought those and loves them.

Let's know how they go in the hands of the worlds greatest BS.

I sold the Titleist AP2 irons for a tidy profit. Never even hit them. Actually, that isn't true. When I lived in No. California I had taken a 5 & 7 iron AP2 w/ Project X 5.5 to the range to try out. I remember them being short on distance and marginal on feel. I don't think I would have liked them.

Plus, I'm just not the Titleist Kool Aid type of guy. At the tournament I played in a few weeks ago, I was paired with a Titleist Kook Aid drinker. He had a Titleist bag, all Titleist clubs and the very latest 913 driver with fancy schmancy Diamana shaft. All black and shit. We discussed his clubs a bit and he proudly told me how they were spine aligned, blueprinted, etc. He actually believed that Titleist's quality control was superior to other manufacturers and that the metal was of a higher quality. I wanted to ask him if his Kool-Aid was spiked, but I didn't.

Oh, and he was a 1.5 index. I beat him by 5 shots. He tried to pull a fast one on the last hole and avoid a penalty but I'd have none of it. I gave the rules official my opinion and that was that. Don't mess with the bull...you'll get the horns.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:59 am

I've been playing Callay FT-i Squareway 5W for some time now and it's the most reliable club in my bag, so I've been searching for a Squareway 3W ... Finally got one on eBay for a very cheap price, so I am all set for 2013 season Laughing Laughing Laughing

FD (and some of you guys/girls/AC-DC) probably remembers this, Freddy hit his 2nd shot on a 600-yd par 5 and nailed it on a green for an Eagle chance with this FT-i Squareway 3W, incredible shot

Happy hơơơơoing
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Pky6471 wrote:I've been playing Callay FT-i Squareway 5W for some time now and it's the most reliable club in my bag, so I've been searching for a Squareway 3W ... Finally got one on eBay for a very cheap price, so I am all set for 2013 season Laughing Laughing Laughing

FD (and some of you guys/girls/AC-DC) probably remembers this, Freddy hit his 2nd shot on a 600-yd par 5 and nailed it on a green for an Eagle chance with this FT-i Squareway 3W, incredible shot

Happy hơơơơoing

I remember seeing a "playing with the pros" segment on Golf Channel with Fred Couples and Mark Walberg. Fred Couples playing golf with no pressure is like watching someone devour a golf course. This one hole, about 570 yards long, he hits his drive 300 yards. He then takes out his FTI Square 3 wood and says something like "I'm going to try and hit a little fade with this one". He walks up, takes a couple of waggles and then proceeds to take the most effortless and beautiful swing I've seen and hits a slight fade 15 feet from the hole. Knocks it in for eagle. Just another day on the course.

I have a good friend who belongs to a course in Arizona where Couples used to be a member. There are people there that have played with him and have said that he never misses a shot. Meaning that he hits it flush every single time. He may not get the distance right or the line right but he always hits it flush. I can't even imagine that. I bet I hit 3 or 4 flush shots in any given round.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:02 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:I've been playing Callay FT-i Squareway 5W for some time now and it's the most reliable club in my bag, so I've been searching for a Squareway 3W ... Finally got one on eBay for a very cheap price, so I am all set for 2013 season Laughing Laughing Laughing

Happy hơơơơoing

I remember seeing a "playing with the pros" segment on Golf Channel with Fred Couples and Mark Walberg. Fred Couples playing golf with no pressure is like watching someone devour a golf course. This one hole, about 570 yards long, he hits his drive 300 yards. He then takes out his FTI Square 3 wood and says something like "I'm going to try and hit a little fade with this one". He walks up, takes a couple of waggles and then proceeds to take the most effortless and beautiful swing I've seen and hits a slight fade 15 feet from the hole. Knocks it in for eagle. Just another day on the course.

I have a good friend who belongs to a course in Arizona where Couples used to be a member. There are people there that have played with him and have said that he never misses a shot. Meaning that he hits it flush every single time. He may not get the distance right or the line right but he always hits it flush. I can't even imagine that. I bet I hit 3 or 4 flush shots in any given round.
    Yeah Couples is well known for that apparently. His fellow pros say he hits it in the middle of the face more than anyone on tour.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Little bit of a connundrum for me. Last weekend, I had about an hour to kill and decided to go to the range. It was pretty cold, about 40 degrees. I made a mistake a couple years back where I cracked a driver face when hitting on the range when it was cold. I've vowed to never do that again. So I'm hitting my hybrid, making sure to hit it off the fluffy part of the range mat. I'm hitting it well, and honestly just messing around, not working on anything in particular, just enjoying the simply act of hitting the ball. After about 10 shots, the ball flight is looking weird. I hit another shot and the feel is way off. I look at the clubface and it's caved in.
    Here's the connundrum. It's a 20 degree Callaway X Tour that I reshafted. I loved this club. So reliable and not very hooky. Do I just get another one and reshaft the exact same way, or do I look for something new? Regardless, I'm going to reshaft it, but I may get something new. The old shaft was a stiff NV driver shaft tipped all the way to hybrid length. I think it cost me around 50 to reshaft and I might be able to pull the old one.
    Maybe Callaway would even replace it, but I doubt it since it's been reshafted.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Horseballs wrote:Little bit of a connundrum for me. Last weekend, I had about an hour to kill and decided to go to the range. It was pretty cold, about 40 degrees. I made a mistake a couple years back where I cracked a driver face when hitting on the range when it was cold. I've vowed to never do that again. So I'm hitting my hybrid, making sure to hit it off the fluffy part of the range mat. I'm hitting it well, and honestly just messing around, not working on anything in particular, just enjoying the simply act of hitting the ball. After about 10 shots, the ball flight is looking weird. I hit another shot and the feel is way off. I look at the clubface and it's caved in.
    Here's the connundrum. It's a 20 degree Callaway X Tour that I reshafted. I loved this club. So reliable and not very hooky. Do I just get another one and reshaft the exact same way, or do I look for something new? Regardless, I'm going to reshaft it, but I may get something new. The old shaft was a stiff NV driver shaft tipped all the way to hybrid length. I think it cost me around 50 to reshaft and I might be able to pull the old one.

Your post got me thinking. What is more impressive and manly? Splitting golf balls in two ala Freak of Nature or caving in the face of your driver/woods/hybrids. Maybe we need a poll?

I think caving in the face of a club is pretty impressive though I don't think there's anything particularly manly about caving in the face of a Callaway club. We know they are just brittle junk waiting to be broken. No testosterone required.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:Little bit of a connundrum for me. Last weekend, I had about an hour to kill and decided to go to the range. It was pretty cold, about 40 degrees. I made a mistake a couple years back where I cracked a driver face when hitting on the range when it was cold. I've vowed to never do that again. So I'm hitting my hybrid, making sure to hit it off the fluffy part of the range mat. I'm hitting it well, and honestly just messing around, not working on anything in particular, just enjoying the simply act of hitting the ball. After about 10 shots, the ball flight is looking weird. I hit another shot and the feel is way off. I look at the clubface and it's caved in.

Your post got me thinking. What is more impressive and manly? Splitting golf balls in two ala Freak of Nature or caving in the face of your driver/woods/hybrids. Maybe we need a poll?

I think caving in the face of a club is pretty impressive though I don't think there's anything particularly manly about caving in the face of a Callaway club. We know they are just brittle junk waiting to be broken. No testosterone required.
    The driver was a Taylormade, so draw your own conclusions.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:

I think he gets points for being man enough to own up to bagging a Callaway club.
    Seriously, getting another head and putting that shaft into it is no garantee it will feel or play the same. Logic says it should but experience says probably not. I would do a bit of hoing to find a new heir; but that's just me. Pick up an old sonartec with specs you like. Best better player hybrids I have tried.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Olderplayer wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

I think he gets points for being man enough to own up to bagging a Callaway club.
    Seriously, getting another head and putting that shaft into it is no garantee it will feel or play the same. Logic says it should but experience says probably not. I would do a bit of hoing to find a new heir; but that's just me. Pick up an old sonartec with specs you like. Best better player hybrids I have tried.
    I'm probably going to research a different head. Hybrids are fickle. I know what doesn't work, but things that are supposed to work don't always pan out. I bought an Adams (I know) that was supposed to be their pro line, but it was unplayable.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:59 pm

After reading the above several times, I think I have an idea what may have happened to your hybrid with the tipped NV driver shaft. That shaft raw is 46" with only a 2" parallel tip. The shaft may have cut off at the tip past the two inch parallel section and maybe sanded down a bit to get it to insert all the way into the hybrid hosel. Now the shaft walls up from the tip parallel section get thinner the closer you get to the butt. So what may be happening is that the shaft is weakening at the hosel which is causing your weird ball flights. The next ball you hit with it may find the hybrid head carrying fifty more yards than the ball.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Mostly German wrote:

After reading the above several times, I think I have an idea what may have happened to your hybrid with the tipped NV driver shaft. That shaft raw is 46" with only a 2" parallel tip. The shaft may have cut off at the tip past the two inch parallel section and maybe sanded down a bit to get it to insert all the way into the hybrid hosel. Now the shaft walls up from the tip parallel section get thinner the closer you get to the butt. So what may be happening is that the shaft is weakening at the hosel which is causing your weird ball flights. The next ball you hit with it may find the hybrid head carrying fifty more yards than the ball.
    The hosel looks fine. The clubface itself is split, visibly.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

The hosel looks fine. The clubface itself is split, visibly.

Oops. Missed that. Well that just sucks. In 1082 or so, the original TM Pittsburgh Persimmon driver I bought new in 1979 started to fly all over the place at the range on center hits. I asked the range guy for a straight edge and we looked at it closely and the head had been beaten concave with all semblance of bulge and roll gone and you could see a tiny hairline crack with a magnifying glass. Taylor sent me a brand new one for free.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:58 pm

I've got an appointment to pick out a new club in an hour. I figure I've only got a few weeks left to get this done, or else I'm waiting till spring. I've learned the hard way not to get fitted in the dead of winter when my swing sucks.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am