The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+2
Golfaholic
jmtbkr
6 posters

Where should I play in SoCal next summer???

jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Where should I play in SoCal next summer??? Empty Where should I play in SoCal next summer???

Post  jmtbkr Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:55 am

Coming to the left coast next summer to visit the kids. Staying in Huntington Beach and I am bringing my clubs.

Don't know jack about SoCal, so please tell me where to play that won't cost an arm and a leg. I intend to play 2-3 times in the week I'm(we) are staying.

Gotta start making reservations now.... Rolling Eyes

Yep, smileys are fun!!!
    Sad :o Shocked Cool Mad Razz Embarassed Evil or Very Mad Arrow Neutral What a Face Like a Star @ heaven Suspect I love you No @ cyclops clown pirat tongue silent alien cat 🐒 pig confused cheers drunken Sleep sunny albino cherry santa rendeer farao king queen jocolor geek scratch study flower afro lol!
    Golfaholic

Where should I play in SoCal next summer??? Empty Re: Where should I play in SoCal next summer???

Post  Golfaholic Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:57 am

Why isn't this posted here!?

.fromtherough.net/
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Where should I play in SoCal next summer??? Empty Re: Where should I play in SoCal next summer???

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:48 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Coming to the left coast next summer to visit the kids. Staying in Huntington Beach and I am bringing my clubs.

Don't know jack about SoCal, so please tell me where to play that won't cost an arm and a leg. I intend to play 2-3 times in the week I'm(we) are staying.

Yep, smileys are fun!!!
    Sad :o Shocked Cool Mad Razz Embarassed Evil or Very Mad Arrow Neutral What a Face Like a Star @ heaven Suspect I love you No @ cyclops clown pirat tongue silent alien cat 🐒 pig confused cheers drunken Sleep sunny albino cherry santa rendeer farao king queen jocolor geek scratch study flower afro lol!

Depends on how much you want to spend. Mile Square golf course has a nice course and it's very close. Pelican Hill is great but ultra expensive as is Strawberry Farms. OR, you could drive down to San Diego and try to take the crown away from FD. alien cat alien cat alien affraid Suspect Exclamation Embarassed Evil or Very Mad afro afro afro
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:Coming to the left coast next summer to visit the kids. Staying in Huntington Beach and I am bringing my clubs.

Yep, smileys are fun!!!

Depends on how much you want to spend. Mile Square golf course has a nice course and it's very close. Pelican Hill is great but ultra expensive as is Strawberry Farms. OR, you could drive down to San Diego and try to take the crown away from FD. alien cat alien cat alien affraid Suspect Exclamation Embarassed Evil or Very Mad afro afro afro

Yes, I played at Pelican Hill once, very beautiful course and expensive, good thing was that I did not have to pay for it. Mile Square golf? you are talking about the course in Fountain valley near Little SG? if that's what I am thinking then it's not a good course 20 yrs ago when I played there, bad layout and crowded back then during weekend. If you play weekday then it may be OK, timewise
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:49 am

[quote="FamousDavisDepends on how much you want to spend. Mile Square golf course has a nice course and it's very close. Pelican Hill is great but ultra expensive as is Strawberry Farms. OR, you could drive down to San Diego and try to take the crown away from FD. alien cat alien cat alien affraid Suspect Exclamation Embarassed Evil or Very Mad afro afro afro [/quote]

How far a drive (haha, get it, drive lol! ) is it from Huntington Beach? I haven't a clue about traffic and roads out there.
    Do drivers flip each other off?
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:01 am

jmtbkr wrote:[quote="FamousDavisDepends on how much you want to spend. Mile Square golf course has a nice course and it's very close. Pelican Hill is great but ultra expensive as is Strawberry Farms. OR, you could drive down to San Diego and try to take the crown away from FD. alien cat alien cat alien affraid Suspect Exclamation Embarassed Evil or Very Mad afro afro afro

How far a drive (haha, get it, drive lol! ) is it from Huntington Beach? I haven't a clue about traffic and roads out there.
    Do drivers flip each other off?[/quote]

Fuck, I wouldn't waste my time playing stinking Mile Square on vacation. Either don't play or go with something that won't threaten a 6 hour round, shitty conditions, lame holes and an armpit of an area. The truly memorable plays along the coast will be fairly expensive but if I was to not go that way, I'd bike or something near the coast and wait until I was back home before I played. So Pelican Hill, Trump National if you don't mind a tough course with a few funky holes, or even Oak Creek although it's a little inland but a nice design. Arroyo Trabuco is fun albeit inland but beautiful terrain. If you're willing to drive an hour to hour and a half and go a little inland for a better deal, Arrowood is hard to beat. For a little more, Maderas not far from FD is a great experience.

Yes we do.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Still doing research. Mile square looks playable, the 6hr rounds sound alot like Bethpage. That I'm used to. So I'm spending a 3 days in Huntington Beach and then we'll move to another resort, hopefully with golf.
    Pelican Hill looks nice, but $1G/nite w/golf is absurd! Mad
    Looking to see if there is anything nice near Strawberry Farms. That's affordable, just got to find nice accomodations.

I would drive to SD, but wifey doesn't want to drive 2 hrs to play golf, plus TP is crazy expensive for out-of-staters.

Any other suggestions in and about OC?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:56 am

jmtbkr wrote:Still doing research. Mile square looks playable, the 6hr rounds sound alot like Bethpage. That I'm used to. So I'm spending a 3 days in Huntington Beach and then we'll move to another resort, hopefully with golf.
    Pelican Hill looks nice, but $1G/nite w/golf is absurd! Mad
    Looking to see if there is anything nice near Strawberry Farms. That's affordable, just got to find nice accomodations.

I would drive to SD, but wifey doesn't want to drive 2 hrs to play golf, plus TP is crazy expensive for out-of-staters.

Any other suggestions in and about OC?

Despite what a few people on here have said, Mile Square is a nice golf course and it won't take you over 5 hours to play if you go out early. It might be tough getting a time, though.

Let's see. Strawberry Farms I've heard is nice. The best thing you can do is go on Golfnow and get a time. If you want to come down to San Diego I'd be more than happy to play and fit you in. Let me know when you're coming down and I'll see what we can do. If we play in Carlsbad or Encinitas it really wouldn't be much of a drive for you. I like meeting new people, especially from GR. That way I can dispatch them after 11 holes and hold it over their head for eternity. Wink
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

Despite what a few people on here have said, Mile Square is a nice golf course and it won't take you over 5 hours to play if you go out early. It might be tough getting a time, though.

If he plays early during weekdays, it may not be too bad... Still, I would rather drive midway from there to SD and play... If he's lucky, he would run into lery for a nice friendly game disappointed
    Bogeyman Dan
    Bogeyman Dan

Where should I play in SoCal next summer??? Empty Courses in So Cal

Post  Bogeyman Dan Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 am

1) About $200-$225 will get you into Torrey Pines. If you don't come to California often, I'd put that at the top of my list of So Cal courses to play, just as I would put Pebble Beach on my list of No Cal courses.
    2) I would rank Pelican Hill just behind Torrey Pines. Pricey, but the experience is priceless.
    3) Black Gold in Yorba Linda is more affordable and much more typical of the inland courses.
    4) I've heard nice things about Tijeras Creek and Talega, but I've yet to play them.
    5) If you want a resort, look into Monarch Beach. I've heard that the views are awesome.

There are dozens of awesome, affordable courses in Riverside County, within two hours of Orange County. Ask around when you get here. I hope you and your wife have a great visit this summer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am