The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
rooteen
Mongrel
jmtbkr
Pky6471
12pierogi
9 posters

What to do?

12pierogi
    12pierogi

What to do? Empty What to do?

Post  12pierogi Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:23 am

Well another golf season is around the corner, for us in the northern hemisphere, not blessed to live in the warmest of areas.

My 300 forged set is a keeper, and may be hard to ever replace, or find anything better.
    So I've concluded I must play the mp-62 I have, that are stunning to look at, and among the prettiest Mizzies I have ever seen. I've only hit them a few times, not enough to become familiar yet, but first impression was very soft. I was so taken with the 300 Tm I couldn't bag the 62 last year.
    I think the ball flight should come down a bit with the 62 as the 300 Tm was a tad high, especially in the shorter irons.
    The center of gravity is more centrally located in the 62 and not near as low as most irons.
    I guess Op is right about bagging ugly irons when so much nice stuff is out there.
    Not to mention the TourStage z101 set I have, I've yet to bag a full season. Though the ns pro shafts seem a little soft for my swing.

What would you guys do? Bag the set you love, or test the waters.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

What to do? Empty Re: What to do?

Post  Pky6471 Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:01 am

12pierogi wrote:What would you guys do? Bag the set you love, or test the waters.

Nothing wrong with testing the water... but bag the set that gives us the lowest scores, love or not.... I am a hacker with 4 sets (1) King Cobra Over-sized II with hump shaft (2) Cally 2002 BB (3) Mizuno MX-23 and the latest (4) Cobra S2. I don't even carry a 5i, my strategy is very simple, Driver, 3W, 5W, gaybrids would take me inside 140 yds then I am good to go from there... I don't have the strength like some young guys/girls/AC-DC disappointed
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:35 am

I am in the process of testing the waters, but I will continue to bag my one and only set for LI. The more I look, the more I want to replace what I have, but I can't help thinking that my money will be better spent on a series of lessons. Maybe if my pro tells me what I am using is below my ability and that I would truly benefit from a newr set, then I might pull the trigger (bad analagy) on a real set of Mizzys. Oh..I didn't mention the ones I saw on fleabay tuirned out to be Asian fakes. study
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:35 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:What would you guys do? Bag the set you love, or test the waters.

Nothing wrong with testing the water... but bag the set that gives us the lowest scores, love or not.... I am a hacker with 4 sets (1) King Cobra Over-sized II with hump shaft (2) Cally 2002 BB (3) Mizuno MX-23 and the latest (4) Cobra S2. I don't even carry a 5i, my strategy is very simple, Driver, 3W, 5W, gaybrids would take me inside 140 yds then I am good to go from there... I don't have the strength like some young guys/girls/AC-DC disappointed

I'm not going to claim I've shot the lowest scores with anything last season. Did I make a lot of nice shots. Yes. Last year I sold my 3 wood, and regretted it, and struggled with a R9 all season, only to luckily find a new one late in the fall. Same club. Plus I changed putters a couple times, and struggles with a 3 hybrid didn't help, until I reshafted it with a broken V2 driver shaft, that turned it into a monster.
    Now all the planets are in line. My bag is settled, but these 300 Japanese irons are almost irreplaceable, if I lose one I'm screwed.

The mp-62 is readily available, if I lose a club, not a big deal. Plus they seem very nice the few times I hit them in the backyard range.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 am

jmtbkr wrote:I am in the process of testing the waters, but I will continue to bag my one and only set for LI. The more I look, the more I want to replace what I have, but I can't help thinking that my money will be better spent on a series of lessons. Maybe if my pro tells me what I am using is below my ability and that I would truly benefit from a newr set, then I might pull the trigger (bad analagy) on a real set of Mizzys. Oh..I didn't mention the ones I saw on fleabay tuirned out to be Asian fakes. study

What did you buy a set of fakes? I've bad great luck on eBay, but I'm pretty picky about the seller. You should be looking for a set of mp-53 by the way. That's going to be my next set of mizuno.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:23 am

12pierogi wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:I am in the process of testing the waters, but I will continue to bag my one and only set for LI. The more I look, the more I want to replace what I have, but I can't help thinking that my money will be better spent on a series of lessons. Maybe if my pro tells me what I am using is below my ability and that I would truly benefit from a newr set, then I might pull the trigger (bad analagy) on a real set of Mizzys. Oh..I didn't mention the ones I saw on fleabay tuirned out to be Asian fakes. study

What did you buy a set of fakes? I've bad great luck on eBay, but I'm pretty picky about the seller. You should be looking for a set of mp-53 by the way. That's going to be my next set of mizuno.

No, I didn't buy them. I was interested but I did some research and found out the seller was not in the US.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 am

jmtbkr wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:

No, I didn't buy them. I was interested but I did some research and found out the seller was not in the US.

Every now and again the 62 is a little under valued. It replaced the 32 and 60 and blows them away. I got a set for something like 225-245, 3-pw dynamic gold r300 love that shaft in those irons. Maybe 8-10 rounds of play. Nice. Read the reviews on the old site on the 62. Bunch of hacks love as well as scratch players.

My mp-62 are in the bag, may hit the range getting to 50 something in a couple days, a little range time would be good.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 am

With those Tourstages with the Nippon shafts that you find too soft---just try an R300 in one or more of them. Those shafts are cheap enough to experiment with. If you like the result, you may end up bagging them.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:28 am

12pierogi wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:

Every now and again the 62 is a little under valued. It replaced the 32 and 60 and blows them away. I got a set for something like 225-245, 3-pw dynamic gold r300 love that shaft in those irons. Maybe 8-10 rounds of play. Nice. Read the reviews on the old site on the 62. Bunch of hacks love as well as scratch players.

My mp-62 are in the bag, may hit the range getting to 50 something in a couple days, a little range time would be good.

I tried the 53's the other day. Nice. But i keep on going back to the 58's. they just hit alot softer and i dont seem to loose any distance. Accuracy is more consistant, for me.
    I found a guy in Alabama who is selling new,wrapped sets of mp58's for what seems to be half price. $500. Too good to be true?? Name is Teestogreens(?). Found him on fleabay. Google mp58.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Mostly German wrote:With those Tourstages with the Nippon shafts that you find too soft---just try an R300 in one or more of them. Those shafts are cheap enough to experiment with. If you like the result, you may end up bagging them.

There a little smaller head, and somewhat less forgiving, but the feel is among the best when flushed.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 pm

12pierogi wrote:So I've concluded I must play the mp-62 I have, that are stunning to look at, and among the prettiest Mizzies I have ever seen. I've only hit them a few times, not enough to become familiar yet, but first impression was very soft.

I agree, they are beautiful.

Gotta find a set to hit locally.
    cat
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 pm

12pierogi wrote:Well another golf season is around the corner, for us in the northern hemisphere, not blessed to live in the warmest of areas.

My 300 forged set is a keeper, and may be hard to ever replace, or find anything better.
    So I've concluded I must play the mp-62 I have, that are stunning to look at, and among the prettiest Mizzies I have ever seen. I've only hit them a few times, not enough to become familiar yet, but first impression was very soft. I was so taken with the 300 Tm I couldn't bag the 62 last year.
    I think the ball flight should come down a bit with the 62 as the 300 Tm was a tad high, especially in the shorter irons.
    The center of gravity is more centrally located in the 62 and not near as low as most irons.
    I guess Op is right about bagging ugly irons when so much nice stuff is out there.
    Not to mention the TourStage z101 set I have, I've yet to bag a full season. Though the ns pro shafts seem a little soft for my swing.

What would you guys do? Bag the set you love, or test the waters.

Have a crack with the 62s. I have been playing the jpx800pros but still using the mp52 pw, and i don't think the 52's are that much harder to hit. The only reason i have stuck with the 800s is the lofts are a bit stronger so i get a little more distance. There is something about hitting an iron the distance you expect. Everytime i hit my pw though, i keep thinking why am i giving up that feeling. Both my sets have ns pros and my mate has a set of 62s with the same shaft. The 62s are a great feeling iron.
    emmanmin

Post  emmanmin Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:03 am

I always come back to my mp 32's and R7 425 tp. I was just in the garage looking at the dozen or so drivers and 6 sets of irons thinking to my self...Damn I could have bought a brand new set of clubs with a dynamic fitting experience (or a nice used honda) for all the money I've wasted experimenting. What am I doing tonight ? Looking on fleebay for that magical club. I should realize that the special clubs are in my bag, by new grips for them and go on a golf vacation. I should probably join Ho's anonymous too !
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:30 am

emmanmin wrote:I always come back to my mp 32's and R7 425 tp. I was just in the garage looking at the dozen or so drivers and 6 sets of irons thinking to my self...Damn I could have bought a brand new set of clubs with a dynamic fitting experience (or a nice used honda) for all the money I've wasted experimenting. What am I doing tonight ? Looking on fleebay for that magical club. I should realize that the special clubs are in my bag, by new grips for them and go on a golf vacation. I should probably join Ho's anonymous too !

Have you or do you use the mwt in the r7? Reason i am asking is that my r7 is 9.5* and i have the weight set for a draw (16 heel 1 centre 1 toe). I'm looking for a bit higher ball flight but still want to keep the draw bias so i'm wondering if putting 10g in the heel and 6g in the centre will do that? i believe to keep the shaft characteristics the same that the overall head weight should be the same.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 am

jmtbkr wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:So I've concluded I must play the mp-62 I have, that are stunning to look at, and among the prettiest Mizzies I have ever seen. I've only hit them a few times, not enough to become familiar yet, but first impression was very soft.

cat

I haven't hit the 58 yet. I see them on eBay, that seller seems reputable. If you like the feel of them jump on them 5 bills new is not to bad. I've paid 6 for demos. Seems kiwi plays the 58 as his gamer set. He must like them.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 am

rooteen wrote:
    emmanmin wrote:I always come back to my mp 32's and R7 425 tp. I was just in the garage looking at the dozen or so drivers and 6 sets of irons thinking to my self...Damn I could have bought a brand new set of clubs with a dynamic fitting experience (or a nice used honda) for all the money I've wasted experimenting. What am I doing tonight ? Looking on fleebay for that magical club. I should realize that the special clubs are in my bag, by new grips for them and go on a golf vacation. I should probably join Ho's anonymous too !

Have you or do you use the mwt in the r7? Reason i am asking is that my r7 is 9.5* and i have the weight set for a draw (16 heel 1 centre 1 toe). I'm looking for a bit higher ball flight but still want to keep the draw bias so i'm wondering if putting 10g in the heel and 6g in the centre will do that? i believe to keep the shaft characteristics the same that the overall head weight should be the same.

The best thing about mwt technology is the ability to get a comfortable swing weight without lead tape. Once it's set I never moved the r7 I have or the r9 I bag.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 am

I like lead tape. Especially for irons. If I want to change the feel of an iron that I put tape on, I just add more strips or peel off the existing ones. Same with my driver. I always carry a roll of lead tape in my bag and a six inch steel machinist ruler that works well to pry it off and to smooth it down good when I apply it. When the weather moderates, I will probably remove all the tape from my Mizunos and the driver since I have changed my swing a good bit and am playing the ball well forward a la Nicklaus. As far as weighting driver to hit the ball higher, I imagine that the lighter the clubhead is, the faster you can swing it and height has more to do with angle of attack and clubhead speed than whether the toe, center or heel of the driver head has the most or least weight.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:30 pm

jmtbkr wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:

I tried the 53's the other day. Nice. But i keep on going back to the 58's. they just hit alot softer and i dont seem to loose any distance. Accuracy is more consistant, for me.
    I found a guy in Alabama who is selling new,wrapped sets of mp58's for what seems to be half price. $500. Too good to be true?? Name is Teestogreens(?). Found him on fleabay. Google mp58.

There is 2 sets of pretty nice looking 58s on eBay 300 delivered. New listings
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm

12pierogi wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:

cat

I haven't hit the 58 yet. I see them on eBay, that seller seems reputable. If you like the feel of them jump on them 5 bills new is not to bad. I've paid 6 for demos. Seems kiwi plays the 58 as his gamer set. He must like them.

I sure do. They are as sweet as any GFF I've tried. I also own an old set of MP32s & a mixed set of MP30/33s. I was keen to get the MP62s a couple of years back and demoed them several times but then a great deal came up for the MP58s so I jumped on them and have no regrets. They feel so soft and pure on good strikes but part of that might be the M21 grips which I really like.

I highly recommend them.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 am

Mostly German wrote:I like lead tape. Especially for irons. If I want to change the feel of an iron that I put tape on, I just add more strips or peel off the existing ones. Same with my driver. I always carry a roll of lead tape in my bag and a six inch steel machinist ruler that works well to pry it off and to smooth it down good when I apply it. When the weather moderates, I will probably remove all the tape from my Mizunos and the driver since I have changed my swing a good bit and am playing the ball well forward a la Nicklaus. As far as weighting driver to hit the ball higher, I imagine that the lighter the clubhead is, the faster you can swing it and height has more to do with angle of attack and clubhead speed than whether the toe, center or heel of the driver head has the most or least weight.

From what i am reading, making the club head lighter makes the shaft play slightly stiffer and making it heavier makes the shaft play softer. There are arguments aplenty about whether or not one can swing it faster. The idea of putting a heavier weight in the centre port to make the ball flight higher is that the centre port is further away from the face than the heel and toe port, so it moves the club head c.o.g lower and further from the face which should equate to a higher ball flight. This to me at the moment is all theory, but i have a couple of different weights on the way to test it all out.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 am

rooteen wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:I like lead tape. Especially for irons. If I want to change the feel of an iron that I put tape on, I just add more strips or peel off the existing ones. Same with my driver. I always carry a roll of lead tape in my bag and a six inch steel machinist ruler that works well to pry it off and to smooth it down good when I apply it. When the weather moderates, I will probably remove all the tape from my Mizunos and the driver since I have changed my swing a good bit and am playing the ball well forward a la Nicklaus. As far as weighting driver to hit the ball higher, I imagine that the lighter the clubhead is, the faster you can swing it and height has more to do with angle of attack and clubhead speed than whether the toe, center or heel of the driver head has the most or least weight.

From what i am reading, making the club head lighter makes the shaft play slightly stiffer and making it heavier makes the shaft play softer. There are arguments aplenty about whether or not one can swing it faster. The idea of putting a heavier weight in the centre port to make the ball flight higher is that the centre port is further away from the face than the heel and toe port, so it moves the club head c.o.g lower and further from the face which should equate to a higher ball flight. This to me at the moment is all theory, but i have a couple of different weights on the way to test it all out.

The r7 I have I had 2 small weights in front and larger in the rear. No bias.
    The r9 I have came from a club builder, he had the big weight in the heel, and 2 small weights in the other 2 ports, for a draw bias. I've never moved it. I goofed around with the weights when I first bought my r7 tp 425 and honestly can say it made no difference. A good swing is a good swing, a bad swing is well you know.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am

rooteen wrote:

We are all different when it comes to clubs. Some can swing it faster with a lighter head and some4 do better with more mass at the end of the stick. For me it depends on what combo allows me to hit it in the center of the face with the fastest speed. Then there's an entire other subject area of counter-balancing...sticking weight in the butt end of the club. i've experimented with this a bit by making my own butt weights but have not yet taken a counter-balanced driver out to a course to play it. The most interesting counterbalancing I did was two years ago when I stuck a regular flex Maltby MPF driver shaft in a Titleist 905T 8.5* head. The Matby shaft was cheap and a bit whippy and the 905T head had way too little loft for my 65 year old swing capabilities. So I started sticking weights on the butt end of the shaft and when it felt optimum, I took it into the Golf Galaxy store on a slow dead-of-winter Saturday afternoon when it was deserted and hit about 50 balls in one of their launch monitor stations. The salesmen paid no attention to me and I was able to boot up the monitor laptop and figure out how to track my shots. Back then my average driver swing speed was in the 90-95 range. After dialing it ball position in about 5 shots, I was averaging almost 100 with the counter-balanced 905T with about 1 in 3 in the 101-102 range. The best thing was that the indicated ball speeds jumped from around 135 to 142-146. Sadly, I pulled that shaft from that head but may try to reinstall it and try it again.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 am

Mostly German wrote:
    rooteen wrote:

We are all different when it comes to clubs. Some can swing it faster with a lighter head and some4 do better with more mass at the end of the stick. For me it depends on what combo allows me to hit it in the center of the face with the fastest speed. Then there's an entire other subject area of counter-balancing...sticking weight in the butt end of the club. i've experimented with this a bit by making my own butt weights but have not yet taken a counter-balanced driver out to a course to play it. The most interesting counterbalancing I did was two years ago when I stuck a regular flex Maltby MPF driver shaft in a Titleist 905T 8.5* head. The Matby shaft was cheap and a bit whippy and the 905T head had way too little loft for my 65 year old swing capabilities. So I started sticking weights on the butt end of the shaft and when it felt optimum, I took it into the Golf Galaxy store on a slow dead-of-winter Saturday afternoon when it was deserted and hit about 50 balls in one of their launch monitor stations. The salesmen paid no attention to me and I was able to boot up the monitor laptop and figure out how to track my shots. Back then my average driver swing speed was in the 90-95 range. After dialing it ball position in about 5 shots, I was averaging almost 100 with the counter-balanced 905T with about 1 in 3 in the 101-102 range. The best thing was that the indicated ball speeds jumped from around 135 to 142-146. Sadly, I pulled that shaft from that head but may try to reinstall it and try it again.

I've always wanted to show you my 3 wood, as you mentioned your struggles with many.
    Me too, and this was the answer. I can bang this thing off the deck a ridiculous distance.
    So easy to hit, it makes you grin when hitting it.
    What to do? 9A2EC8CD-0785-48B0-B5B3-49F42B4CAD61-670-000000FA543A6F09_zpsc631b082
    What to do? 988B0A64-6979-4655-9413-15599231573D-670-000000FA78673C70_zpsd6db7483

What to do? 36C0E80B-0DB6-4A34-99E2-0A526111333F-670-000000FAAAF8834F_zps70818aca
    What to do? 3BF697C7-ABC9-4C25-8F07-7273C4B18AAA-670-000000FAE9C721D4_zps8b4db8e7
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 am

Since you recommended this club over at the other place some months ago, I have been searching for one in the stores I frequent so that I can hit it. But they seem to be really rare on the used market except for Ebay. All that tells me is that when a club that was sold by an OEM, and assuming that they sold a bunch of them, is rare on the used market, the folks who bought them found them to be so good that they are still in the bags.

Now as far as my fairway wood problems, I finally bit the bullet and admitted that it is my swing and not the sticks that is the problem. I've been rebuilding it for some weeks and have been hitting one of my favorites from past years, Titleist 904F. With the new swing, I can finally hit a fairway wood again both off the deck and a short tee. With the old swing, I would pull and pull-hook these clubs but now they go straight or with just a slight fade at the apex. I may even put the Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 stiff shaft back into the other 904F head. And I will continue to look for one of those CGB woods.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:26 am

12pierogi wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:

There is 2 sets of pretty nice looking 58s on eBay 300 delivered. New listings

S58 irons in great condition should cost no more than $215. I bought a set of like new s58 irons over a year ago off of Craigslist for $175. I liked the heads but not the AWT shafts. I think they normally came with CS Lite shafts.

I sold the Ping i20 irons within 1 hour of listing them last night.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm