The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

The best steroid documentary I have seen,links...

Fluffy

Re: The best steroid documentary I have seen,links...

Post  Fluffy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 am

I have never played golf while I was on a gym routine.....My golfing years I never had a gym contract and in my student time I never had golf,but occasionally went to the gym.

Only started last week with a medacine ball and weights to stretch while doing it relative to a golf swing. Over stretching which I never could do and a little more stomach exercises...These are crap exercises that I dislike very much.

I cannot do cardio to save my life.... Except for the fact that I was NEVER a runner or cyclist I hate cardio. I bought a set of boxing gloves and started hitting the bag. After 5minutes I would look like a portable dripping towel....Googled it.Boxing on a bag alone can be 50% more effecient that running/cycling for the same amount of time.

FYI just a nifty little calorie burning calculator:
    http://www.bodyblitz.net.au/calculators/workout-calculator/
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:This discussion is all well and good but in my mid forties I'm simply not strong enough to do full body weight chin ups anymore. In my twenties I could crank out three sets of 12 no worries but now I'd probably be finished after one set of 3-4. That's where I miss having the cable pulldowns you get in a gym. I suppose I could get a chinup bar and put a chair or something under it and effectively 'spot' myself with that? Smile
    You aren't currently strong enough. You can do chair assisted pullups, use the band like Poe said, or do negatives as well. Honestly, I'm good for only a couple sets over 10 pullups, and for the subsequent sets, I'll do as many as I can normally, then use a chair assist to get to 10 or 12. I like to switch hand positions a lot and do wide, close grip, normal width, underhand chin-ups, and palm to palm. Close grip are still a mofo, but you can't just do the exercises you're good at.
    Before I started doing pullups in earnest, I was just like you. I used cable pulls for years, but could only do about 5 pullups at a time, then be spent. Plus, pullups are the coolest of all exercises. Nothing more badass then cranking out a dozen pullups in a crowded gym. I make sure to yell to get everyone's attention before I put on my show.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:43 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:This discussion is all well and good but in my mid forties I'm simply not strong enough to do full body weight chin ups anymore. In my twenties I could crank out three sets of 12 no worries but now I'd probably be finished after one set of 3-4. That's where I miss having the cable pulldowns you get in a gym. I suppose I could get a chinup bar and put a chair or something under it and effectively 'spot' myself with that? Smile
    You aren't currently strong enough. You can do chair assisted pullups, use the band like Poe said, or do negatives as well. Honestly, I'm good for only a couple sets over 10 pullups, and for the subsequent sets, I'll do as many as I can normally, then use a chair assist to get to 10 or 12. I like to switch hand positions a lot and do wide, close grip, normal width, underhand chin-ups, and palm to palm. Close grip are still a mofo, but you can't just do the exercises you're good at.
    Before I started doing pullups in earnest, I was just like you. I used cable pulls for years, but could only do about 5 pullups at a time, then be spent. Plus, pullups are the coolest of all exercises. Nothing more badass then cranking out a dozen pullups in a crowded gym. I make sure to yell to get everyone's attention before I put on my show.

Hmmm...a couple of sets of 10 pullups? I'd like to see that. Well, I guess it depends on what type of pullup you're doing. I've seen guys at the gym stand on a box and then raise themselves up so that they're grasping a bar that sort of looks like large bicycle handlebars. Their hands are spread apart pretty far and they raise themselves up with the bar going behind their head. That is not a pullup; rather, it's a much easier exercise because the hands are at an angle.

I have posted a pic of what is considered to be a real pullup. This is the pullup used in the military for testing and also for the presidential phyisical fitness awards they give out to students in elementary school. I won this award every year, no joke.

So, are you telling me that you can do 2 sets of 10 repetitions of the exercise depicted in the photo without swinging your legs and making sure your chin goes all the way above the bar? We're talking overhand grip, just like in the photo.

[img][/img]
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

Hmmm...a couple of sets of 10 pullups? I'd like to see that. Well, I guess it depends on what type of pullup you're doing. I've seen guys at the gym stand on a box and then raise themselves up so that they're grasping a bar that sort of looks like large bicycle handlebars. Their hands are spread apart pretty far and they raise themselves up with the bar going behind their head. That is not a pullup; rather, it's a much easier exercise because the hands are at an angle.

I have posted a pic of what is considered to be a real pullup. This is the pullup used in the military for testing and also for the presidential phyisical fitness awards they give out to students in elementary school. I won this award every year, no joke.

So, are you telling me that you can do 2 sets of 10 repetitions of the exercise depicted in the photo without swinging your legs and making sure your chin goes all the way above the bar? We're talking overhand grip, just like in the photo.

[img][/img]
    Yes. Straight arms at the bottom, chin over the bar, no kipping. You should really look into P90X. That's when I started doing pullups, and when I was first going through the program and being very disciplined, I could do 6 sets of 10 easily over the course of a 40 minute workout with all kinds of pushups in between. This was in 2009, but I've still maintained some level of pullup ability.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

[img][/img]

Of course your all wet as usual. The marine corps PFT is the only one that requires a pull up and you must be able to do a minimum of 3. You can put your hands in either direction and as wide or narrow as you want. You can also change your grip as long as you don't touch the ground. Your chin has to pass the level of the bar but you don't have to pull up as high as shown on your example. You can sway but you can't kip or swing your legs. The army or regular navy doesn't include pull ups in their PFT.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm

Fluffy wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:I have just learned that steroids make you hit consistent and improves your accuracy by 300%.....

Yeah right.....WTF does steroids contribute to a sport where hand & eye coordination is everything and the only thing?

Once you've watched VJ practice you'll realize how stupid that question is. At 40+ years old he practiced for hours and hours every day for years without any of the common repetitive injuries. Then they ban PED's and he has elbow tendon problems. Coincidence? I doubt it. Do you think Tiger could have recovered between rounds/practice with his knee as bad as it was without PED's? Doubt it.

You're thinking of steroids like every other meat head out there. Steroids/PED's allow you to recover faster. That means practicing longer with faster recovery. It's the main reason pitchers took PED's. It wasn't to improve their strength but to speed up their recovery which in turns increases your hand & eye coordination.

Beta blockers are also banned from Golf.

But my point being HGH is one of the more weaker steroids for this reason. The main thing HGH used for is for getting bigger. Ive read that using HGH you can literally grow 5% taller...even your heart,lungs,kidneys get bigger and stronger....Very little focused on muscular/performance enhancements. There's alot of stuff on the market that you can use legally to enhance recovery that would be more then enough for golf recovery. Where steroids get very negative reactions are within the joints....I dont think there is any steroids that help with joints...Most of them "dry" up the joints....

Corticosteroid is a steroid and is used specifically for joint inflammation. If you were referring to anabolic steroids than I agree that there is very little advantage to the average golfer. But there are many PED's that increase performance and would be beneficial to a golfer especially on fighting specific conditions.

This is from wiki on banned substance list for the Olympics:

Glucocorticoids are a class of corticosteroids that affect the metabolism of carbohydrates, fat, and proteins, and regulate glycogen and blood pressure levels.They possess pronounced anti-inflammatory activity and cause alteration of connective tissue in response to injuries. The anti-inflammatory and connective tissue effects of glucocorticoids might mask injuries, leading to more serious injuries to athletes. Because of this and metabolic regulation effects, the administration of any glucorticoid orally, rectally, intraveniously, or intramuscularly is prohibited and requires a therapeutic use exemption. Topical uses of glucocorticoids does not require an exemption.

This is what I was referring to with Tiger's use of PED's at a minimum. Once he had to stop using because of the testing, he had to fix his knee.

The main problem I have with steroids or PED's is that it becomes a race to the best pharma's. It's no longer just about ones abilities. It's about buying something to get you better. Yes I understand it's done everywhere but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is cheating.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:45 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

[img][/img]

Of course your all wet as usual. The marine corps PFT is the only one that requires a pull up and you must be able to do a minimum of 3. You can put your hands in either direction and as wide or narrow as you want. You can also change your grip as long as you don't touch the ground. Your chin has to pass the level of the bar but you don't have to pull up as high as shown on your example. You can sway but you can't kip or swing your legs. The army or regular navy doesn't include pull ups in their PFT.

And as usual you're nit-picking like a woman who has nothing better to do. The entire point of my post was to make sure that HB and I were discussing the same type of pullup. And, as you can see from his answer, the post worked because he confirmed that the pullup in the photo and the technique he uses are one in the same.

Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Ok HB you've inspired me. I'm going to get a chin up bar and set it up in my garage. BTW FD I don't see what's wrong with the handle bar type setup. It's still a kick ass exercise. I haven't seen a bar like the one you've posted a picture of since the school playground jungle gym.

HB like you I was once pretty good at chin ups and the body building types in my old gym used to comment on this because they couldn't do jack and just used the cable pulldowns.

Once when I was about 19-20 I had a job working in a supermarket and the storeman thought he was pretty good at chin ups on the beam in his store. He would routinely challenge noobs telling them he would triple whatever they did. So I got up there and cranked out 21. He didn't manage 63. In fact he barely eeked out 17 and felt like a right douche in front of the rest of the night crew. lol!
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:48 pm

You guys kill me I've been cutting firewood two days in a row 1 and 2 degrees was the high those days, a Monday and Tuesday we were a little slow after lunch, I worked 2 of my guys arse off. Then we split it by hand. I have about 4-5 acres of woods, and a couple straight line storms last year took some old trees down. I have a huge wood stove in my 100 by 40 shop. It's toasty. But it keeps you in shape.
    Plus my mountain bike, I love this thing really

jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:02 pm

12pierogi wrote:You guys kill me I've been cutting firewood two days in a row 1 and 2 degrees was the high those days, a Monday and Tuesday we were a little slow after lunch, I worked 2 of my guys arse off. Then we split it by hand. I have about 4-5 acres of woods, and a couple straight line storms last year took some old trees down. I have a huge wood stove in my 100 by 40 shop. It's toasty. But it keeps you in shape.

Time to upgrade!!!
    Get rid of the saddle bag. Use a camelback
    Real MTBr's use clipless Basketball
    Push your rear shock
    upgrade to discs...oh - no calper posts, sorry...........
    Nice Avids!!! I love you

You guys are golf equipment ho's....I am a MTB ho drunken
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:08 pm

Sure chopping wood and yard work will keep you in some sort of shape. But it won't achieve the buffed look that we're looking for. You know the look that makes chicks heads turn and swoon and their boyfriends jealous. That's what we're talking about.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

[img][/img]

And as usual you're nit-picking like a woman who has nothing better to do. The entire point of my post was to make sure that HB and I were discussing the same type of pullup. And, as you can see from his answer, the post worked because he confirmed that the pullup in the photo and the technique he uses are one in the same.

Then why didn't you just say as such? Instead you pontificate with BS you pulled from your arse. Which is pretty typical for you.

BTW - I don't know where you are pulling those photo's but that guys top position isn't something I'd suggest.

Last edited by Poe4soul on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

[img][/img]

Then why didn't you just say as such? Instead you pontificate with BS you pulled from your arse. Which is pretty typical for you.

Because it's a forum where we are having casual discussion about weight lifting. Get it? The last thing we need is the librarian type proof reading all of our posts.

I play golf with several ex-military guys who described the basic training exercising and testing they went through. They explained the pullup testing to me and said that the overhand grip was used and that you were not allowed to swing your legs. That was the basis for my post. I didn't feel the need to do a background check or launch a full scale investigation.

I have no doubt that Wikipedia is your most visited site.

Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:21 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

[img][/img]

Because it's a forum where we are having casual discussion about weight lifting. Get it? The last thing we need is the librarian type proof reading all of our posts.

I play golf with several ex-military guys who described the basic training exercising and testing they went through. They explained the pullup testing to me and said that the overhand grip was used and that you were not allowed to swing your legs. That was the basis for my post. I didn't feel the need to do a background check or launch a full scale investigation.

Actually you'd be wrong. A colleague's son is trying to get into the marines office candidate school. He has to pass the PFT at a very high level and maintain his conditioning. I was talking to him about his training and what was and wasn't allowed in the testing. It was interesting the techniques they used to pump out nearly 20 pull ups. He was a long armed kid, which is a disadvantage when doing pull ups. He found that his grip strength was his best friend which allowed him to crank out a few more reps. He would change grips two or three times during the test allowing him to use different muscles and he could hang between reps. Also, extending your neck to get your chin above the bar is permissible. They do allow a certain amount of sway and you have to use that to your advantage. The secret is getting an amount that is permissible but not counted as a fault or missed rep. His pull up training uses fat gripz, towels, and recently he started using a grip that is a rope attached to a softball. BTW - he doesn't look like much but he also doesn't have much body fat.

Oh, I'm not proof reading your post but it would be easy to limit your statements to what you know or use words "like" or "similar" instead of declarations. That's the way most casual conversions go. And when they don't you're usually called out as bs...

12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 pm

[quote="jmtbkr"]
    12pierogi wrote:You guys kill me I've been cutting firewood two days in a row 1 and 2 degrees was the high those days, a Monday and Tuesday we were a little slow after lunch, I worked 2 of my guys arse off. Then we split it by hand. I have about 4-5 acres of woods, and a couple straight line storms last year took some old trees down. I have a huge wood stove in my 100 by 40 shop. It's toasty. But it keeps you in shape.

Time to upgrade!!!
    Get rid of the saddle bag. Use a camelback
    Real MTBr's use clipless Basketball
    Push your rear shock
    upgrade to discs...oh - no calper posts, sorry...........
    Nice Avids!!! I love you

You guys are golf equipment ho's....I am a MTB ho drunken

I built it in 2000'or 01 the front fork has disc mounts a manitou x vert air. Should I turn the rear shock over? It's got arch rival brakes, with Mavics it's still fun. I have a camelback so does my wife. I just don't use it for short rides.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:42 pm

12pierogi wrote:I built it in 2000'or 01 the front fork has disc mounts a manitou x vert air. Should I turn the rear shock over? It's got arch rival brakes, with Mavics it's still fun. I have a camelback so does my wife. I just don't use it for short rides.

Leave the shock alone but do cut your seatpost down at the bottom. I'd hate to see what might happen to the shock if you bottom out the rear end affraid You could probably use a shock rebuild kit from Fox - replaces the simple seals and relubes the sleeve. A simple proceedure about half hours' work. Does your front fork have grease injection ports? Manitou is know for them.
    Try a high rise stem....great on the back and helps on the very steep downs.

Here's my ride:

That's were I do all my chipping these days!
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:28 pm

[quote="jmtbkr"]
    12pierogi wrote:I built it in 2000'or 01 the front fork has disc mounts a manitou x vert air. Should I turn the rear shock over? It's got arch rival brakes, with Mavics it's still fun. I have a camelback so does my wife. I just don't use it for short rides.

Leave the shock alone but do cut your seatpost down at the bottom. I'd hate to see what might happen to the shock if you bottom out the rear end affraid You could probably use a shock rebuild kit from Fox - replaces the simple seals and relubes the sleeve. A simple proceedure about half hours' work. Does your front fork have grease injection ports? Manitou is know for them.

Here's my ride:

That's were I do all my chipping these days![/

Ok I usually don't ride with it that low. Here maybe this is better.
    Yeah it's got some grease ports. The fox float rc rear shock I replaced once, well twice, I went with a longer stroke for around 5".5 on the rear, a little over 4" on the front. Conti vert pros, 2.3 mavic 519 SRAM race face xt everything Easton mag stem and monkey bars downhill synchros headset Titec seatpost azonic love seat arch rivals gt flats. I had time atac pedals, those days are over.

Last edited by 12pierogi on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 pm

jmtbkr wrote:

Here's my ride:

That's were I do all my chipping these days!

Sweet looking ride by the way. Looks way better built on the rear triangle, then my junk, some kind of 4 bar setup. Is that a Turner G spot?
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 am

Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

[img][/img]

Actually you'd be wrong. A colleague's son is trying to get into the marines office candidate school. He has to pass the PFT at a very high level and maintain his conditioning. I was talking to him about his training and what was and wasn't allowed in the testing. It was interesting the techniques they used to pump out nearly 20 pull ups. He was a long armed kid, which is a disadvantage when doing pull ups. He found that his grip strength was his best friend which allowed him to crank out a few more reps. He would change grips two or three times during the test allowing him to use different muscles and he could hang between reps. Also, extending your neck to get your chin above the bar is permissible. They do allow a certain amount of sway and you have to use that to your advantage. The secret is getting an amount that is permissible but not counted as a fault or missed rep. His pull up training uses fat gripz, towels, and recently he started using a grip that is a rope attached to a softball. BTW - he doesn't look like much but he also doesn't have much body fat.

Oh, I'm not proof reading your post but it would be easy to limit your statements to what you know or use words "like" or "similar" instead of declarations. That's the way most casual conversions go. And when they don't you're usually called out as bs...

Yip I could do these about 38kg and 6 years ago....ooooo I am only 25 now:)
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:Ok HB you've inspired me. I'm going to get a chin up bar and set it up in my garage. BTW FD I don't see what's wrong with the handle bar type setup. It's still a kick ass exercise. I haven't seen a bar like the one you've posted a picture of since the school playground jungle gym.

HB like you I was once pretty good at chin ups and the body building types in my old gym used to comment on this because they couldn't do jack and just used the cable pulldowns.

Once when I was about 19-20 I had a job working in a supermarket and the storeman thought he was pretty good at chin ups on the beam in his store. He would routinely challenge noobs telling them he would triple whatever they did. So I got up there and cranked out 21. He didn't manage 63. In fact he barely eeked out 17 and felt like a right douche in front of the rest of the night crew. lol!

Here's a pretty good article on pull up training. You might get something out of this.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4697693
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:47 pm

I went to the gym yesterday and used a machine 'similar' to a Gravitron, where you select the weight you want to offset your own weight and then stand on a bar. You can do dips, narrow grip pullups and wide grip pullups. Damn, I had to set the offset weight at 80 pounds to do 10 pullups. I also had to be very careful with the shoulder. But, I have to say, I could really feel it in my lat muscles. I'll keep doing a couple of sets of those in addition to my cable pulldowns and rows. I'm definitely getting more solid and feels good to get back into shape.

Kiwi, I have nothing against the wide bar. I was stating that it's easier to pull yourself up with that than a standard straight bar.
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:Ok HB you've inspired me. I'm going to get a chin up bar and set it up in my garage. BTW FD I don't see what's wrong with the handle bar type setup. It's still a kick ass exercise. I haven't seen a bar like the one you've posted a picture of since the school playground jungle gym.

Here's a pretty good article on pull up training. You might get something out of this.
    I'm going to try those 1.5's next time.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:

The static holds and the armless pullups seem pretty cool to. I have long arms and my arms go out way before my lats and back get tired.
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:

The static holds and the armless pullups seem pretty cool to. I have long arms and my arms go out way before my lats and back get tired.
    I'm sure those static holds are good for you, but they seem like they would be torture and real mindfuck to stay up. Kind of like if your exercise was wall squats for as long as possible. The weighted pull ups are a good idea too. Unlike the author, I can lift more with pullups than I can in bench press. I never really lift more than 135 and just rep, but I can't imagine being able to bench my bodyweight a dozen times. I'm really not that into heavy weights, even with squats. Very heavy weights scare me a bit, especially with legs. It's probably irrational, but I don't feel comfortable doing a weight I can only lift a couple times.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:

I'm sure those static holds are good for you, but they seem like they would be torture and real mindfuck to stay up. Kind of like if your exercise was wall squats for as long as possible. The weighted pull ups are a good idea too. Unlike the author, I can lift more with pullups than I can in bench press. I never really lift more than 135 and just rep, but I can't imagine being able to bench my bodyweight a dozen times. I'm really not that into heavy weights, even with squats. Very heavy weights scare me a bit, especially with legs. It's probably irrational, but I don't feel comfortable doing a weight I can only lift a couple times.

Very much the same. Sometimes I'll do some econometric lifts at the end of a set or partial reps but I rarely do less than 5 reps. I have know idea what my PR is in any lift, nor do I care. I know there are big strength benefits in doing heavy lifts but I'm just not motivated that way. Right now I'm just happy to get my fat arse moving 3-5 times a week with the goal of getting tired and sweating.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:32 am