The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Lance Armstrong...

Pky6471

Re: Lance Armstrong...

Post  Pky6471 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:09 pm

IMO....

More of them got doped for enhancing performance... Lance A got caught in the act because he won, the rest they don't care (not saying that we condone the act)

More golfers have sex on the road... TW got caught in the act because he's the greatest player at that time, the rest they don't care (not saying that we condone the act)

If I remember correctly, during that time period the stupid activist Al Sharpton made a statement that "he's disappointed TW only selected white female to screw with, none was black... something along that line..." How stupid could that be....
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Pky6471 wrote:IMO....

More of them got doped for enhancing performance... Lance A got caught in the act because he won, the rest they don't care (not saying that we condone the act)

More golfers have sex on the road... TW got caught in the act because he's the greatest player at that time, the rest they don't care (not saying that we condone the act)

If I remember correctly, during that time period the stupid activist Al Sharpton made a statement that "he's disappointed TW only selected white female to screw with, none was black... something along that line..." How stupid could that be....
    You are correct. In bike racing and golf, nobody cares about any of the participants other than the winners. Just like the bike tour, the PGA has a hundred some field-fillers and a few who can win on a regular basis. If Chip Whitebread who always hovers around 119 on the Money List gets caught screwing some black girls, its no big deal. However, Tiger marries a Nordic and then screws a bunch of other white girls, half the world explodes. Al Sharpton is on some "TERMINATE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE" list somewhere.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:IMO....

You are correct. In bike racing and golf, nobody cares about any of the participants other than the winners. Just like the bike tour, the PGA has a hundred some field-fillers and a few who can win on a regular basis. If Chip Whitebread who always hovers around 119 on the Money List gets caught screwing some black girls, its no big deal. However, Tiger marries a Nordic and then screws a bunch of other white girls, half the world explodes. Al Sharpton is on some "TERMINATE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE" list somewhere.

I agree to a point. The reason it exploded on TW was because of his squeaky wholesome image. If he as a character like Dennis Rodman, it would be expected and not incongruent with his public image. Obviously, the bigger the start the bigger the story. Duh!
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:25 pm

FamousDavis wrote:What's interesting is the way we view professional atheltes. Let's take Shaquille O'Neil, for example. The guy is 7 foot 2 inches and can basically just stand there under the basket and dunk. The guy can't even make a free throw. Yet, he was considered to be a superstar and was hugely popular. There is no doubt he was a good player, even for his height. Tallness alone obviously doesn't make you a great basketball player. Still, I don't think anyone could argue that Shaq had it much easier than other guys who played Center.

So, let's say there is another Center who is close in height to Shaq but has a much harder time putting on muscle. In order to put on the muscle, he takes whatever is necessary to do it. Later, it's found that he took banned substances and is scorned and shamed into humilitation, with all his trophies taken away. He is also sued and ruined.

Is that fair?

Is it fair that some golfers, like Dustin Johnson, are 6 foot 4 with incredibly athletic builds and natural talent? It seems to me that sports are best when the playing field is level. The best Superbowls occur when the two teams playing one another are fairly even in talent.

So, as a society, we like the athlete who is naturally the best at what they do, even if they don't have to work at it. We like the one who is born with superior athleticism, superior talent and a superior physique. Yet, we scorn the ones who use drugs to get to that same level.

In other words, is the allure of sports really about envying people with natural talent? As opposed to admiring those who had to work hard to achieve it?

Yes, we do scorn those who cheat. That goes for all endeavors of life. We all have to play by rules. If you cheat, you are scorned.

The negative consequences to our developing youth if you allow drug use at the pro level is too high of a risk. Think of all the collegiate athletes that have a slim to no chance of making it into the pro's that will risk life and health to get a chance at becoming a pro based on the opposite model of legal PED use at the pro level. You can't wait to the pro's to take PED's to develop muscle. So, most of those skinny kids would have to take steroids on cycles for a few years to get to the level you are talking about and some currently do.

Put it this way. If your child was talented and might have a chance to play pro sports, would you still be OK with your child risking health to have the slim possibility to complete at that level? Because the minute you allow PED's in pro sports it's going all the way down to teenagers taking them on the outside chance of being famous.

Your shaq and DJ arguments are weak. There are many ways to win in each of the two sports you mentioned. Shaq is big but he's also slow and weak on counter attacks and he can't hit a free throw. Both are exploited. DJ is long but he's not a good chipper. All sports have a favored body type and skill. So what? You either are born with it or your not. It reminds me of one of those spoof children's book title that went something like "Of Course God Loves Sally More. That's Why He Made Her Prettier Than You."
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:34 am

FamousDavis wrote:In other words, is the allure of sports really about envying people with natural talent? As opposed to admiring those who had to work hard to achieve it?

Nothing about Steroids is "hard work"...I can garantee you that.
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:27 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lance-armstrong--arrogant-and-unaware--did-little-to-repair-his-image-in-mea-culpa-with-oprah-062222144.html
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Lance Armstrong blows dogs.
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm

I applaud Lance Armstrong for finally having the ball to fess up.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:I applaud Lance Armstrong for finally having the ball to fess up.
    He always said he'd give his left nut to be able to sit on Oprah's couch.
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 am

IMO, the fact that he was lying would not hurt him much, most of us lie... what would come back to bite him in the a$$ are those negative comments/ fight-back that he told other people when he was questioned about doping
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:45 pm

I don't have a problem with the roids thing. Baseball has pretty much sucked since they chased doping from the game.

As for congress and the justice department, they've got bigger problems.

And as for Armstrong, I'm an American, not a Dutchman. Amsterdam is great, but I still think that bikes are children's toys.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm not sure what created my general disdain for cyclists. I'm not talking about mountain bikers or people just riding their bike on the street. I'm talking about the guys who don the racing gear, have $1,500 racing bikes and are trying to look like they're in the Tour De France.

On Saturdays, I see these guys all over the place. Usually they ride around in packs. Once on a bike, they seem to have forgotten that they own a car too and that nobody wants to drive behind them. Yet, they act like they own the road and have all rights to it.

We've all been behind the moron cyclists who's riding down the middle of the two lane street and won't get over to the side for you to pass. Once I actually honked to get the guy over and he started screaming and flipping me the bird. I calmly rolled down the window and said "nice spandex".

Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:53 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I'm not sure what created my general disdain for cyclists. I'm not talking about mountain bikers or people just riding their bike on the street. I'm talking about the guys who don the racing gear, have $1,500 racing bikes and are trying to look like they're in the Tour De France.

On Saturdays, I see these guys all over the place. Usually they ride around in packs. Once on a bike, they seem to have forgotten that they own a car too and that nobody wants to drive behind them. Yet, they act like they own the road and have all rights to it.

We've all been behind the moron cyclists who's riding down the middle of the two lane street and won't get over to the side for you to pass. Once I actually honked to get the guy over and he started screaming and flipping me the bird. I calmly rolled down the window and said "nice spandex".

Just one correction to your otherwise perfect summation FD. The bike is normally worth $10,000.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I got one of those collapsible steel batons like the cops have. Twenty bucks cash at a gun show near me right before Christmas. Made in Taiwan. Three sections that telescope out from a hard rubber handle maybe 8 or 9 inches when collapsed. Just a flick of your wrist and the thing becomes a 21" weapon of steel. Just the thing for when one of those be-Spandexed fags on his ten grand bicycle is hogging the center lane. As you floor it and leave him in the dust, a little love tap near the base of his spine will send a gentle reminder via Taiwanese grain flow forging that the Rules of the Road work both ways.
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Mostly German wrote:I got one of those collapsible steel batons like the cops have. Twenty bucks cash at a gun show near me right before Christmas. Made in Taiwan. Three sections that telescope out from a hard rubber handle maybe 8 or 9 inches when collapsed. Just a flick of your wrist and the thing becomes a 21" weapon of steel. Just the thing for when one of those be-Spandexed fags on his ten grand bicycle is hogging the center lane. As you floor it and leave him in the dust, a little love tap near the base of his spine will send a gentle reminder via Taiwanese grain flow forging that the Rules of the Road work both ways.

You could always insert the telescoping baton between the bike's wheel spokes and watch the guy do a complete somersault followed surely by a dastardly crash.

http://www.smileysnetwork.com/sport/velo32.gif
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:51 pm

[quote="FamousDavis"]
    Mostly German wrote:I got one of those collapsible steel batons like the cops have. Twenty bucks cash at a gun show near me right before Christmas. Made in Taiwan. Three sections that telescope out from a hard rubber handle maybe 8 or 9 inches when collapsed. Just a flick of your wrist and the thing becomes a 21" weapon of steel. Just the thing for when one of those be-Spandexed fags on his ten grand bicycle is hogging the center lane. As you floor it and leave him in the dust, a little love tap near the base of his spine will send a gentle reminder via Taiwanese grain flow forging that the Rules of the Road work both ways.

You could always insert the telescoping baton between the bike's wheel spokes and watch the guy do a complete somersault followed surely by a dastardly crash.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah. That too. Two wheelers should be banned from public roads outside of residential neighborhoods where the speed limits exceed 25 m.p.h. unless they have motors. I don't care if dudes ride their mountain bicycles in the mountains, hills, forests, over hills and dales etc. or on the boardwalks. I remember when I was a kid that we all wanted to go faster than we could and one way was to put motors on everything. One kid and his old man put a four horsepower lawn mower engine on a plate brazed in the frame of his English 3 speed bicycle. It had a centrifugal clutch that permitted the use of the 3 gears. It would do at least 45 mph on the level in third gear. He was the King of the Road amongst us twelve year olds.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 pm