The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+10
Pky6471
msal13
Fluffy
jt1135
rooteen
Lord Helmet
Horseballs
Poe4soul
Mongrel
FamousDavis
14 posters

New Nike ad with Rory and Tiger

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

New Nike ad with Rory and Tiger Empty New Nike ad with Rory and Tiger

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:06 pm

I have to admit, this is a great ad:

Mongrel
    Mongrel

New Nike ad with Rory and Tiger Empty Re: New Nike ad with Rory and Tiger

Post  Mongrel Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm waiting for the Nike ad with Tiger and Bill Clinton. The tag line is "Just Screw It."
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:34 pm

That's a great commercial. Marketing is one area where Nike is great.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 pm

I read today that Rory has lost the sponsorship of the Jumereyah Group. With $200,000,000 from Nike, I'm sure he cares not a whit. As an added benefit, it should remove any stigma he carried from having to wear the name of a group that sounds like an offshoot of Al Qaeda. If I were Nike, I would also get the new Best Young Thing, Russell Henley, into an ad. I mean shooting three 63's and setting a tourney record in his first Tour even as a member while wearing the ball cap with check mark and I-20 or whatever golf ball model he played is one hell of an endorsement of the product. It would be fun to have Tiger, Rory and Henley all in contention in the same group bringing up the rear on the tee of number 10 at Augusta National in a few months.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Poe4soul wrote:That's a great commercial. Marketing is one area where Nike is great.
    I still won't buy their gear, and I don't know a lot of people who will/have. Seems to me that Callaway and TM dominate regular equipment sales with people I play with.

My breakdown is as follows...
    2 Pings - driver and hybrid
    1 Callaway - 3 wood
    3 Clevelands - wedges
    1 Titleist - putter
    7 Mizunos - irons
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:That's a great commercial. Marketing is one area where Nike is great.
    I still won't buy their gear, and I don't know a lot of people who will/have. Seems to me that Callaway and TM dominate regular equipment sales with people I play with.

My breakdown is as follows...
    2 Pings - driver and hybrid
    1 Callaway - 3 wood
    3 Clevelands - wedges
    1 Titleist - putter
    7 Mizunos - irons

I agree. If you have any brains you realize their gear is mostly crap but they do market the shiat out of their products and they do it well. I hate Nike shoes as well. I'm not a fan of TM but I do like adidas shoes. I haven't tried Ping's gear lately. Don't care for their irons but own one of their hybrids and would buy one of their drivers.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Nike doesn't pay huge dollars for endorsements with the idea in mind of selling any particular type of product. It's the brand they are advertising.

I remember playing golf in 1994 and seeing a pair of Nike golf shoes in a pro shop. I was surprised to see Nike making golf stuff. Now, they are everywhere.

4 years ago, it would be rare to see a group of 4 golfers without one of them wearing a Nike shirt or golf shoes. The most commonly worn golf shirt I see is Nike.

Also, guys like us do not represent the majority of golfers. I really have no idea what type of equipment is used by the average golfer. I play early in the morning with the serious golfers. If I were to head out in the afternoon, I have no doubt that I'd see a lot of guys carrying Nike golf equipment.

At any given tournament, I'd guess that one out of 20 bags has either Nike irons or woods.

Nike has benefited more than Tiger in their business relationship.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:46 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Nike doesn't pay huge dollars for endorsements with the idea in mind of selling any particular type of product. It's the brand they are advertising.

I remember playing golf in 1994 and seeing a pair of Nike golf shoes in a pro shop. I was surprised to see Nike making golf stuff. Now, they are everywhere.

4 years ago, it would be rare to see a group of 4 golfers without one of them wearing a Nike shirt or golf shoes. The most commonly worn golf shirt I see is Nike.

Also, guys like us do not represent the majority of golfers. I really have no idea what type of equipment is used by the average golfer. I play early in the morning with the serious golfers. If I were to head out in the afternoon, I have no doubt that I'd see a lot of guys carrying Nike golf equipment.

At any given tournament, I'd guess that one out of 20 bags has either Nike irons or woods.

Nike has benefited more than Tiger in their business relationship.
    Nike is decent with apparel I suppose. I play golf with many lemmings who buy new gear every single year. TM and Callaway appeal to them, but no one buys Nike. It's like they don't even exist at my club, which admittedly doesn't contain the smartest consumers.
    I agree that Tiger and maybe Rory (if they market the piss out of him) have the potential to sell the Nike brand as a whole, but the rest of their staffers aren't moving the needle. No one is going to buy running shoes because they saw Lucas Glover playing golf on TV. Nike is trying to make inroads in golf equipment. I think they aren't doing a very good job.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:36 pm

I personally think Nike makes the best apparel and Adidas is right behind them. I would imagine the profit margin on a $60 Nike shirt is much higher than it is for a set of Nike VR Cavity forged irons. I would think the shirt costs somewhere around $10, all costs included.

Nike golf equipment does indeed suck big time. I continue to be baffled every two years when they introduce new equipment. Lately they've been doing a better job at it although I'm not sure how the new Nike driver is going to sell. The crown is red and it's got a cavity in the sole of the club.

Country clubs are not a good place to look if you're trying to find a representation of what the average golfer plays. For one thing, I have found that country clubbers hold onto clubs much longer than the muni golfer. Plus, a lot of CC'ers will buy only stuff from the pro shop to help support their club. This means they are limited to Tileist, Taylormade, Callaway and Ping.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:05 pm

I've only ho'd one Nike club in my life. A T-60 15 degree 3 wood that I scarfed up used at the Golf Galaxy for around $13.97. I loved that deep faced head and all the reviews were absolutely glowing. So I should have known that Murphy's Law would prevail and that I couldn't hit it worth shit. OK, let us try another shaft. Ditto. And five or six shafts later, five or six dittos. Now its not really adult to judge an OEM by the performance of one obsolete club. But I do.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:22 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I personally think Nike makes the best apparel and Adidas is right behind them. I would imagine the profit margin on a $60 Nike shirt is much higher than it is for a set of Nike VR Cavity forged irons. I would think the shirt costs somewhere around $10, all costs included.

Nike golf equipment does indeed suck big time. I continue to be baffled every two years when they introduce new equipment. Lately they've been doing a better job at it although I'm not sure how the new Nike driver is going to sell. The crown is red and it's got a cavity in the sole of the club.

Country clubs are not a good place to look if you're trying to find a representation of what the average golfer plays. For one thing, I have found that country clubbers hold onto clubs much longer than the muni golfer. Plus, a lot of CC'ers will buy only stuff from the pro shop to help support their club. This means they are limited to Tileist, Taylormade, Callaway and Ping.
    The one Nike club I remember seeing quite a bit was their Sumo square-headed driver. More than a few had that club and they generally hit it well. Nike did nothing to build upon that. Every newcomer has to make a splash, and Nike cannot just tell people "if it's good enough for Tiger" and expect there to be any loyalty.
    I bet Adams would have gone belly up if they didn't create the Tight Lies FW.
    I honestly cannot tell you the name of any current Nike lines. Are they still doing the VR stuff? I don't know what their tour ball is named. And I'm an avid golfer. I can't imagine how invisible they must be to the casual golfer.
    I also think that equipment popularity drives apparel sales to a large degree. There is an entire demographic of d-bags out there whose shirt, hat and bag has to match their clubs.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Mostly German wrote:I've only ho'd one Nike club in my life. A T-60 15 degree 3 wood that I scarfed up used at the Golf Galaxy for around $13.97. I loved that deep faced head and all the reviews were absolutely glowing. So I should have known that Murphy's Law would prevail and that I couldn't hit it worth shit. OK, let us try another shaft. Ditto. And five or six shafts later, five or six dittos. Now its not really adult to judge an OEM by the performance of one obsolete club. But I do.
    I also hold grudges against manufacturers. There is an extensive list of OEMs whose products I have blacklisted. Usually not the entire OEM, but certain types of clubs.
    Unpopular as it may be, I detest Titleist drivers. Maybe their new stuff is awesome. I wouldn't know, because the 907 was a POS and it ruined Titty forever.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:48 pm

I agree with the comments about the Sasquatch. I remember playing with several guys who owned either the square version or the round version. I'm not sure why they changed directions after those clubs did so well.

I tried the Nike VR Pro driver and really liked it. I also like the Nike VR Pro Cavity irons. I've never liked their putters.

But, you know what's interesting? I don't like ANYTHING that Taylormade puts out. The RBZ and RBZ Bladez may be the worst feeling irons I've ever tried. Just horrible.

I've tried the R11, R11s and RBZ Tour drivers and all of them are shorter than my Titleist 983e driver. I don't like the Burner 2.0, Burner Plus and I hated the TM Tour Preferred irons.

I currently use a Taylormade Ghost putter and love it. It reminds me of the Grey Ghost. Oh Gavin!
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Got paired up last summer w/ a guy who had the square head Sasquatch version. Guy absolutely hit bombs with that thing. It was unbelievable how far the ball went. It was also horridly loud and annoying sounding. Guess I could get used to the sound if I was punishing the ball like that.

Last edited by Lord Helmet on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Got paired up last summer w/ a guy who had the square head Sasquatch version. Guy absolutely hit bombs with that thing. It was unbelievable how far the ball went. It was also horridly loud and annoying sounding. Guess I could get used to the sound if I was punishing the ball like that.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I agree with the comments about the Sasquatch. I remember playing with several guys who owned either the square version or the round version. I'm not sure why they changed directions after those clubs did so well.

I tried the Nike VR Pro driver and really liked it. I also like the Nike VR Pro Cavity irons. I've never liked their putters.

But, you know what's interesting? I don't like ANYTHING that Taylormade puts out. The RBZ and RBZ Bladez may be the worst feeling irons I've ever tried. Just horrible.

I've tried the R11, R11s and RBZ Tour drivers and all of them are shorter than my Titleist 983e driver. I don't like the Burner 2.0, Burner Plus and I hated the TM Tour Preferred irons.

I currently use a Taylormade Ghost putter and love it. It reminds me of the Grey Ghost. Oh Gavin!
    Now, I'm not the profilic equipment whore that you are, but I also pretty much write off anything that Taylormade releases as garbage. I had the original 2007 TM Burner driver. I loved that thing, but it kept breaking. The shaft broke at the hosel, TM replaced the shaft. The head broke off soon after, and TM replaced the whole club. Then the face caves in (classic HB range story available on GR), and I throw it in the trash.
    None of their irons look decent to me. A club has got to look right or I'll never be satisfied. Their FW woods are huge, and I like them more compact. Never tried their hybrids or putters. The Penta is decent ball, though not in my top 4.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Down where i live i don't think that Nike have had that big an impact yet. Only seen one guy with a Nike driver(ignite) in over 5 years at my club. That may change in the near future, as Nike in OZ has been making big inroads in replacing Srixon as the sponsors of junior golf. We have had a couple of big junior tournaments at my course and there was Nike bags,clubs and balls everywhere.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I agree with the comments about the Sasquatch. I remember playing with several guys who owned either the square version or the round version. I'm not sure why they changed directions after those clubs did so well.

Now, I'm not the profilic equipment whore that you are, but I also pretty much write off anything that Taylormade releases as garbage. I had the original 2007 TM Burner driver. I loved that thing, but it kept breaking. The shaft broke at the hosel, TM replaced the shaft. The head broke off soon after, and TM replaced the whole club. Then the face caves in (classic HB range story available on GR), and I throw it in the trash.
    None of their irons look decent to me. A club has got to look right or I'll never be satisfied. Their FW woods are huge, and I like them more compact. Never tried their hybrids or putters. The Penta is decent ball, though not in my top 4.
    HB, played a comp round last Saturday with a guy who was using the original TM Burner driver. It had a copper coloured head and soleplate and a bubble shaft. Small head looked great, and he easily hit it past the rest of the group. He was not a long hitter with any other club, but that old driver lokked and sounded better than any of the new stuff the rest of us had.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:Got paired up last summer w/ a guy who had the square head Sasquatch version. Guy absolutely hit bombs with that thing. It was unbelievable how far the ball went. It was also horridly loud and annoying sounding. Guess I could get used to the sound if I was punishing the ball like that.

My nephew has a square nike driver and he does hit the shit out of it, but what a horrible sound. Guess he's getting a new titty this year don't know which one. He has some control issues with the nike so I think that is why he is switching.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 pm

jt1135 wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:Got paired up last summer w/ a guy who had the square head Sasquatch version. Guy absolutely hit bombs with that thing. It was unbelievable how far the ball went. It was also horridly loud and annoying sounding. Guess I could get used to the sound if I was punishing the ball like that.

My nephew has a square nike driver and he does hit the shit out of it, but what a horrible sound. Guess he's getting a new titty this year don't know which one. He has some control issues with the nike so I think that is why he is switching.

You might want to suggest to your nephew that he think twice about the Titleist driver. I know of two people now who say they lost 30 yards after switching to the new 913 series.

I've had similar experiences with every Titleist driver since the introduction of the 907 series. I bought a 907 D2 with Diamana Blue and I hit it 20 yards short of my Callaway Hyper X. I then tried the 909 D3 with Voodoo and it was short as well. I then tried a 910 D2 with Diamana and it was shorter than Michael J. Fox on a good day.

Plus, who wants the number 13 on your friggin' driver? Duh. At least Taylormade figured that one out.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:I've only ho'd one Nike club in my life. A T-60 15 degree 3 wood that I scarfed up used at the Golf Galaxy for around $13.97. I loved that deep faced head and all the reviews were absolutely glowing. So I should have known that Murphy's Law would prevail and that I couldn't hit it worth shit. OK, let us try another shaft. Ditto. And five or six shafts later, five or six dittos. Now its not really adult to judge an OEM by the performance of one obsolete club. But I do.
    I also hold grudges against manufacturers. There is an extensive list of OEMs whose products I have blacklisted. Usually not the entire OEM, but certain types of clubs.
    Unpopular as it may be, I detest Titleist drivers. Maybe their new stuff is awesome. I wouldn't know, because the 907 was a POS and it ruined Titty forever.

Both 907 drivers, the D1 triangular shaped head and the more traditional D2, received almost universal scorn. This was good for me because I was able to get a barely used 907D2 for under $60. After hitting it once with the standard Mitsu Diamana Blue, I pulled it and put a Proforce V2 65 gram regular in it and hit some of my longest and best drives in my life with it. When I snapped that shaft, I triend a different one but it was nowhere near as good. So that driver head sits on a shelf in one of my outdoor sheds. The secret to the 907D2 head is that there is a very small magic spot on the face between dead center and the crown where you get a turbo boost in launch angle, carry and roll if you hit it on an ascending angle. Granted it was a high maintenance shot but when I caught it, the ball just got up quick and carried on a level flight landing at a low angle. Now I've got the 909 DComp head which is just about a no-miss driver. In fact, since I got it last August, I've hit
    only a small fraction of practice balls with it. I used to get an 85 ball bucket at the range and half of them would be driver shots. Now I'll hit no more than 5-10 because I know what its going to do. One down, thirteen to go.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:

You might want to suggest to your nephew that he think twice about the Titleist driver. I know of two people now who say they lost 30 yards after switching to the new 913 series.

I've had similar experiences with every Titleist driver since the introduction of the 907 series. I bought a 907 D2 with Diamana Blue and I hit it 20 yards short of my Callaway Hyper X. I then tried the 907 D3 with Voodoo and it was short as well. I then tried a 910 D2 with Diamana and it was shorter than Michael J. Fox on a good day.

Plus, who wants the number 13 on your friggin' driver? Duh. At least Taylormade figured that one out.
    The SPCC is a Titleist shop, and our assistant pro (and head pro) put the 913 in play a couple months ago. He's a shorter than average pro, not short mind you, but he's killing the 913. Probably picked up 15-20 yards. I played with him in November and he was hitting it much better than the 910.
    The 913 might very well be the best driver on the planet, but I will never forgive Titleist because of he 909.

Last edited by Horseballs on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bla bla bla)
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

Both 907 drivers, the D1 triangular shaped head and the more traditional D2, received almost universal scorn. This was good for me because I was able to get a barely used 907D2 for under $60. After hitting it once with the standard Mitsu Diamana Blue, I pulled it and put a Proforce V2 65 gram regular in it and hit some of my longest and best drives in my life with it. When I snapped that shaft, I triend a different one but it was nowhere near as good. So that driver head sits on a shelf in one of my outdoor sheds. The secret to the 907D2 head is that there is a very small magic spot on the face between dead center and the crown where you get a turbo boost in launch angle, carry and roll if you hit it on an ascending angle. Granted it was a high maintenance shot but when I caught it, the ball just got up quick and carried on a level flight landing at a low angle. Now I've got the 909 DComp head which is just about a no-miss driver. In fact, since I got it last August, I've hit
    only a small fraction of practice balls with it. I used to get an 85 ball bucket at the range and half of them would be driver shots. Now I'll hit no more than 5-10 because I know what its going to do. One down, thirteen to go.
    I have never hit a composite driver that I like. I've owned a Callaway F9, Cobra L4V plus I've hit the Titty 909D Comp. I can't stand the feel.
    My current driver is a Ping K15 with an Oban Revenge shaft. The pure shots are bliss. I only hit about 25% dead solid perfect, but another 50% are near misses with good distance/accuracy. The other 25% are a function of being a guy who only plays golf once a week.
    On my last trip to Phoenix last March, I had a week where I have never hit the driver better. I can't replicate it, but I remember gripping very lightly and hitting on the upswing with very little forced effort. If I could always get off the tee like that, I would be a much better player. We played 36 for 3 days in a row, and I normally would be a wreck with back issues and blisters, but I never even needed Advil. I need to find that swing again.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:08 am

Nike VR Pro Driver is the lowest launching driver in the fighting-market. Their standard shafts just doesnt cut it for me. I would pay $400 any day for a nice 8.5 degree Nike Vr Pro driver Lmt Edi. With a nice x stiff shaft.

The Nike VRII Full set MB Blades I rate next to the mizuno blades... They are really that good!

Taylormade just sells sh!t...... Not even the putters are up to scratch. The only and best thing Taylormade has produced is the Rocketballz driver.... Mishits really does travel far on that thing, could confirm that with a few of the players I played with on the course
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 am

Fluffy wrote:

Nike VR Pro Driver is the lowest launching driver in the fighting-market. Their standard shafts just doesnt cut it for me. I would pay $400 any day for a nice 8.5 degree Nike Vr Pro driver Lmt Edi. With a nice x stiff shaft.

The Nike VRII Full set MB Blades I rate next to the mizuno blades... They are really that good!

Taylormade just sells sh!t...... Not even the putters are up to scratch. The only and best thing Taylormade has produced is the Rocketballz driver.... Mishits really does travel far on that thing, could confirm that with a few of the players I played with on the course

Haven't tried them but I've heard similar reviews of the MB blades from good sticks.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 am